Any reccomendation for PC game....last shooter i played was Quake

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
My suggestion is don't bother, especially if you're intention is to play online. The shooter community is awash with people suffering from psychological disorders of one form or another. If you must play one I would suggest grabbing Borderlands 2 and just co-opping with your friends.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I'll second Half-Life 2, along with HL2:Episodes 1 & 2. Borderlands is awesome as well, definitely worth picking up the GOTY edition on Steam when it's on sale.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I'll second Half-Life 2, along with HL2:Episodes 1 & 2. Borderlands is awesome as well, definitely worth picking up the GOTY edition on Steam when it's on sale.

Absolutely. Seriously, you are not a "real" gamer if you have never played HL2...even if it's old already. And Borderlands is amongst the best (if not THE best) for co-op ..it's just awesome fun with some roommates/GF/Wife etc. on the LAN :)

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Absolutely. Seriously, you are not a "real" gamer if you have never played HL2...even if it's old already. And Borderlands is amongst the best (if not THE best) for co-op ..it's just awesome fun with some roommates/GF/Wife etc. on the LAN :)
HL2 is a significant game in game dev history and technology sense, but I'm honestly not very impressed by the game either action- or plot-wise. Its strengths are more in wandering around nice scenery, and solving the tacked-on physics puzzles is fun too. The main problem with the action is weapons feel way too weak. The feel of the SMG and the (lack of) reaction of human enemies getting shot is especially terrible, despite the gun being the most common in the game. Funnily enough this was a problem with first HL's human enemies as well, but was easier to ignore because HL didn't have many of them, whereas HL2 is packed to the gills with human enemies.

Long story short, the game is surely worth playing - once - but I recommend playing it on Normal difficulty or lower so that the enemies hopefully feel less like they are made of Teflon. The follow-up Episodes are pretty much the same ol' but so short that you might as well play them too.

Aug 11, 2008
Borderlands was a lot of fun and is cheap now on Steam -- get the full package with all of the DLC.

It's often called "Diablo with guns" because it's a shooter with tens of thousands of different guns as loot drops, with similar trash, uncommon, rare loot drops.

+1 for Borderlands. Very fun game, but will not really tax your system. Borderlands 2 is coming out in Sept and might be even better.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
HL2 is a significant game in game dev history and technology sense, but I'm honestly not very impressed by the game either action- or plot-wise. Its strengths are more in wandering around nice scenery, and solving the tacked-on physics puzzles is fun too. The main problem with the action is weapons feel way too weak. The feel of the SMG and the (lack of) reaction of human enemies getting shot is especially terrible, despite the gun being the most common in the game. Funnily enough this was a problem with first HL's human enemies as well, but was easier to ignore because HL didn't have many of them, whereas HL2 is packed to the gills with human enemies.

Long story short, the game is surely worth playing - once - but I recommend playing it on Normal difficulty or lower so that the enemies hopefully feel less like they are made of Teflon. The follow-up Episodes are pretty much the same ol' but so short that you might as well play them too.

I have played through HL2 many times and I think its great, some of the puzzles feel like they are there just to make a bit of use out of the physics engine, you can use it also for combat is its not just all for show. Howerver it is the atmopshere that sells it to me. Its all in the little details - you find and see things that bring to life the cruel and oppresive world your playing in. I agree the SMG is rubbish but the shotgun is nice and punchy as is the .44 revolver plus there is running around Ravenholm cracking black head crabs with the crowbar.

The OP has a lot of catching up to do, so many great shooters have passed since the first Quake.

Some of my personal single player favorites:

Half Life series
Sin
Unreal 1
Hidden & Dangerous 1 & 2
Operation Flashpoint & Resistance Add On
Far Cry
Ghost Recond Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series

I feel like some are missing but you problaly already have too many games reccomended to go on with.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
More votes for Metro 2033 And fear.

Singularity is one of my sleeper fps games. I came across the PC Gamer review a little while ago and I remembered whiy I didn't buy it originally: the reviewer basically dogged the game, calling it an inferior recycling of old parts. nobody woyld have bougth that game after reading that review.

And I added another reason to the list of why I didn't renew my subscription after over 10 years of getting the mag.

Singularity was a great ride from beginning to end.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
No recommendation for Battlefied Bad Company 2?

It's got one of the most interesting single player campaigns ever. Lots of environment changes, surprises, and comedy relief too.

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
another vote for Borderlands. single player is fun and good. co-op is awesome.