Question Any reason to upgrade ?

Rayman30

Mar 7, 2019
Getting the itch to switch my Ryzen 5000 platform out for 7000, gaming at 5120X1440 (Oddesey G9)

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4 3600 MHz CL14 (Trident Z)
RTX 4080 Asus TUF

Thinking about taking advantage of Microcenter's current chip with free RAM deal, upgraditus from having the last gen stuff, is there going to be any noticeable performance advantage at my resolution? was going to get a 7700X, board and RAM, then do a drop in for the new 3D later.

Moved at OP's request.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Wait until Zen 5 or Intel 14th gen benchmarks. The 5800X3D with 3600MHz CL14 RAM is a seriously potent mix.

If you have a build itch, buy some cheap used gear off of eBay (or your local craigslist) and tinker with it. I wouldn't touch your main rig until 2024 (at the earliest).

This thread should also probably be in the Computer Building section, but someone is welcome to correct me.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Rule of thumb for me is to have something significant in terms of tech to make it worthwhile.

For instance PCIE 5 coming to market with ADL along with hybrid cores. I skipped 10/11th gen CPUs because they didn't offer enough incentive and looked more like placeholders in terms of cores / performance.

Speaking AMD is a bit rusty for me keeping track of everything both are doing at this point is a circus to say the least. Jumping to a 7 series CPU might be tempting but, it's a complete rebuild with the new socket and if Intel is a canary in the mine I suspect AMD will be switching sockets a lot more than retaining them like they did in the past for several generations.

Chiplets and tiles are the next big leap and should be here soon enough in the next year or so. It kind of depends on the fabs getting their strategy together though for the smaller architecture and AMD / Intel figuring out the engineering to get things running and ready for sale. Intel seems to shot themself in the foot though behind the scenes since they're just doing a RPL refresh instead of releasing MTL on schedule this fall. ARL though is the leap which should be next year if they decide to just skip MTL all together and put their resources into the new redesign vs trying to stick with the past.

Anyway, if you're looking to bump you're looking at CPU/MOBO/RAM and transplant the rest. Off the top of my head that's probably about $1000.

If I had a crystal ball though and could confirm my hunches it would be a waiting game for the next generation on either side as I think both companies smell blood in the water when it comes to moving forward with a huge leap in how CPUs are built.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Getting the itch to switch my Ryzen 5000 platform out for 7000, gaming at 5120X1440 (Oddesey G9)

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4 3600 MHz CL14 (Trident Z)
RTX 4080 Asus TUF

Thinking about taking advantage of Microcenter's current chip with free RAM deal, upgraditus from having the last gen stuff, is there going to be any noticeable performance advantage at my resolution? was going to get a 7700X, board and RAM, then do a drop in for the new 3D later.

Moved at OP's request.
admin allisolm
If things hold true to what happened with the 5800X3D, you'll want to hold out for the 7800X3D. This assumes your principal upgrade requirement is based around gaming framerates. At that resolution, your GPU is going to be the more important upgrade. Good luck.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER