Any reason to still have a floppy drive in a modern pc?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I don't think I've used my one in well over a year. Is there any reason to put one in a new build? Does any hardware still ship with drivers still on floppies?

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Some people still prefer to use the floppy method to update their BIOS. (Most modern motherboards should come with a Windows-based BIOS updater, but some people don't trust them.)

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
In addition to Windows-based methods, motherboards are now allowing BIOS updated via USB memory stick. I think, but I'm not sure, that the same is true for installing RAID drivers and such during a Windows install.

JeremyInMT

May 6, 2008
I don't know if this is so much a question of the PC being modern or not. I think it's more of a question of the OS. I can install windows xp or vista on the same machine...vista will let me use a usb memory stick to load the drivers from but xp will make me use a floppy.

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
... or you can plan ahead and burn your own custom ISO with whatever drivers you need integrated on the CD.

And that's only if you actually have a RAID array, or are running your SATA drives in AHCI / RAID mode (without a true RAID array)

I haven't had a floppy drive in my PC for about 7 years now...

~MiSfit

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I haven't used a floppy drive in any of my builds for about 8 years now. Havne't encountered a single situation in wish I needed one.

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
Originally posted by: nerp
I haven't used a floppy drive in any of my builds for about 8 years now. Havne't encountered a single situation in wish I needed one.

Same here. I don't remember the last time I've needed to use a floppy. I did, however, use zip disks on a regular basis doing some graphic design work a few years ago. This was quite unfortunate because I hate the unreliable pieces of junk.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I took mine out and put a hard drive in its place. I guess the only downside I can see is that I can no longer install those Lucas Arts games like Monkey Island.

jjsbasmt

Jan 23, 2005
Most likely you will never need the floppy, however what I do is install the media card reader that also includes a floppy built in - just in case. 15 - 20 dollars at the computer shows.

Fenix793

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2000
Not really. I ditched the floppy drive 3 years ago and never looked back. Actually just reinstalled XP today and the install went flawlessly without a floppy drive. If you need drivers or something burn em to a CD and boot off the CD. Better yet slipstream them into your Windows install.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Most folks probably don't need them anymore.

I use them pretty frequently, to install RAID controller drivers, to update the BIOS, and on my own PC to CREATE the floppy disks for those two tasks.

When the whole world moves to Vista/2008, I'll be happy to dump those floppy drives. Unfortunately, that's going to be a few more years.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
occasionally you need them. some hard drive diagnostics work better off floppy. or bios updates for certain boards. or software like say ghost or partiion magic can also make use of a floppy.

if you have more than one computer, i'd just get a usb floppy as most new bios will treat it just like a normal one. then you can just get it out for any of the computers if you ever need it. a usb floppy doesnt cost much different than a normal internal floppy anyway (that and you dont need to have any ribbon cables in your computer if you go all sata with no floppy)_

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
Most modern notebooks do not have floppy drive anymore so if notebook need bios update they usually use windows to update bios.
My PC still have floppy drive but not used very often.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Most people will never use a floppy drive ever again - however, they are very cheap and if you ever run into a situation you need one, it's better to have the drive than to not.

MedicBob

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2001
I have a usb floppy that I got free with a laptop. I can boot off of it when I need to and use it for whatever computer I need it for. The can be had for pretty cheap if you look around plus it can be used on almost anything.