Any pro plumbers in the house??? Or people that have done work on pipes in cement??? Now with more PICS !

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Originally posted by: Greenman
$1900 sounds fair to me. In one of your pics it looks like the vent pipe from the bath fan is connected to a plumbing vent, is that really going on or am I not getting a good view?

Yep the vent and bath fan ran on the same pipe.
I'm nothing short of astounded! You are going to correct that?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: CorCentral
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Holy Cow! $1900 to drywall a room?! Yikes! I went into the wrong business. I *hate* drywalling, but I'd do it day after day if I was getting paid that much.

That room drywalled should run no more than $800.-$900. to do the job. Material would run roughly 12-13 sheets and cost about $300.-$350. w/ $500. labor. 3 days to complete. 2 Days with multiple fans in the room for inbetween dry time for the mud.

$30 a sheet for drywall is insane, around $11 at the Home Depot down the street.
You're 3 days of labor at $500 is far two low as well. A good dry waller will expect to make at least $30 an hour, and a lot more if he's a licensed contractor.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
$1900 sounds fair to me. In one of your pics it looks like the vent pipe from the bath fan is connected to a plumbing vent, is that really going on or am I not getting a good view?

Correct what? :p

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Holy Cow! $1900 to drywall a room?! Yikes! I went into the wrong business. I *hate* drywalling, but I'd do it day after day if I was getting paid that much.

That room drywalled should run no more than $800.-$900. to do the job. Material would run roughly 12-13 sheets and cost about $300.-$350. w/ $500. labor. 3 days to complete. 2 Days with multiple fans in the room for inbetween dry time for the mud.

$30 a sheet for drywall is insane, around $11 at the Home Depot down the street.
You're 3 days of labor at $500 is far two low as well. A good dry waller will expect to make at least $30 an hour, and a lot more if he's a licensed contractor.

Of course, though, you'd want to use green board in the bathroom, but I think that's what you're referring to with the $11 a sheet. The 1/2 inch is about $8.50 a sheet last I looked (4x8)

However, there isn't 3 days of work there. Any decent drywaller with a helper should easily be able to have the wallboard up, taped and mudded within 2 hours, perhaps an extra hour for bringing in tools and cleaning up when done. 1 hour of labor each day for 2 more days, followed by a final sanding.

I suck at drywall; it takes me a lot more time than a professional. But, there's no way in the world it'd take me more than a couple hours per coat of mud + some sanding each day. So, it's not 3 days of labor, it's 10 hours labor for one person, + 2 hours for a helper while hanging. $500 is quite reasonable. Unless, of course, you're paying a drywaller to watch it dry, or the drywallers in your area move really really slowly. I stand in awe watching a professional drywallers... It's hard to believe they can move so fast yet have a flawless finish when they're done.

Having watched pros on several occasions, I'd estimate they spend less than 30 seconds on each seam. (and not even 30 seconds between seams) when they're mudding. A bit of time up front preparing the mud, and a little time at the end to clean up.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
^

Yea I have done drywall a little, not enough to do it to a main living place. and when you watch soemoen that has done it a long time you can tell the diff. between a rookie and a real pro. I have seen pros slap the tape up with just one hand while holding some mud in the other ready to go.

So that is why I think $1900 is too high. If someone will cut cement and rerun pipes, set the tub, etc... for $1800 then $1900 for drywall seems high to me.

I will report later what the guy that is coming today says.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

Correct what? :p

Venting the bath fan into the sewer vent is a bad idea by any measure, and contrary to building code. It's amazing that anyone even thought of doing it.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

Of course, though, you'd want to use green board in the bathroom, but I think that's what you're referring to with the $11 a sheet. The 1/2 inch is about $8.50 a sheet last I looked (4x8)

However, there isn't 3 days of work there. Any decent drywaller with a helper should easily be able to have the wallboard up, taped and mudded within 2 hours, perhaps an extra hour for bringing in tools and cleaning up when done. 1 hour of labor each day for 2 more days, followed by a final sanding.

I suck at drywall; it takes me a lot more time than a professional. But, there's no way in the world it'd take me more than a couple hours per coat of mud + some sanding each day. So, it's not 3 days of labor, it's 10 hours labor for one person, + 2 hours for a helper while hanging. $500 is quite reasonable. Unless, of course, you're paying a drywaller to watch it dry, or the drywallers in your area move really really slowly. I stand in awe watching a professional drywallers... It's hard to believe they can move so fast yet have a flawless finish when they're done.

Having watched pros on several occasions, I'd estimate they spend less than 30 seconds on each seam. (and not even 30 seconds between seams) when they're mudding. A bit of time up front preparing the mud, and a little time at the end to clean up.

I think you miss the point. He has to go get the material, carry it in, hang it, scrap it out when he's done, and haul off the debris. That little project is going to consume at least 2 full days, even using hot mud and getting three coats on in one day. The reality is it's what we call a pain in the ass job, small and chopped up. Most contractors charge a lot more for that because even if you're only there for three hours one of the days, what do you do for the rest of the day? If you don't have another small project close by your day is wasted. Unless you come across someone thats pretty hungry, you're going to pay a premium for a job like that.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: vailr
Re: "2 the pipes are in the cement." Slab construction is usually only a 3 or 4 inch thick layer of cement over gravel.
To save money, it may be possible to use a cement chisel and sledge hammer (wear safety goggles), instead of going to the expense of renting a jack hammer.
If there's a 2nd bathroom in the dwelling, see about installing water shutoff valves, just for the area under renovation.
That way, you're not under as much of a time constraint in getting the renovation done in a short time period.
Try and re-use existing pipe work, as much as possible.
The less time the plumber is actually on location, the less his final tab will be.

3"-4" for a house foundation? Are you kidding me? Minimum 9", most should have 12"

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: CPA
Re: "2 the pipes are in the cement." Slab construction is usually only a 3 or 4 inch thick layer of cement over gravel.
To save money, it may be possible to use a cement chisel and sledge hammer (wear safety goggles), instead of going to the expense of renting a jack hammer.
If there's a 2nd bathroom in the dwelling, see about installing water shutoff valves, just for the area under renovation.
That way, you're not under as much of a time constraint in getting the renovation done in a short time period.
The less time the plumber is actually on location, the less his final tab will be.

3"-4" for a house foundation? Are you kidding me? Minimum 9", most should have 12"

Yea I wish it was that thin.

I still have to put some cement down on the edge of the wall as who ever built the wall used reg. red bricks for the base.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: CPA

You're confusing the foundation with the slab floor. A slab floor it generally 4" thick.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
slab should be 4",

I would estimate 4-6 hours (2 guys) to hang and then 4 trips at 2 hrs each ( 1 guy) for the taping. Bathrooms take longer because of cutting for pipes and around shower etc. It takes about as long to hang a closet as a bedroom, name number of sheets etc. just more fasteners.

Remember a small job like that you are going to be charged travel time, getting materials etc. I would never charge less than $100 per trip for taping no matter how long it took me on site.

Make sure they use greenboard.

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
There's always the option of hanging the drywall yourself and hiring someone to do all the mudding. Or, there's the option of trying to do it yourself, doing a poor job, and switching to a textured ceiling and textured wallpaper. ;)

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
You can get a concrete blade for a circular saw. If the job is small enough, you probably will finish it before the concrete dust ruins the saw. Then you can probably finish up with a sledgehammer. Only try this if your saw is expendable. It's too dangerous to use water with a circular say.

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I think you miss the point. He has to go get the material, carry it in, hang it, scrap it out when he's done, and haul off the debris. That little project is going to consume at least 2 full days, even using hot mud and getting three coats on in one day. The reality is it's what we call a pain in the ass job, small and chopped up. Most contractors charge a lot more for that because even if you're only there for three hours one of the days, what do you do for the rest of the day? If you don't have another small project close by your day is wasted. Unless you come across someone thats pretty hungry, you're going to pay a premium for a job like that.

That's a good point. I've chatted with a few contractors who were amazed/happy that their bids were accepted. One roofing contractor told me, "I gave them an estimate 3 grand higher than what it should have been, simply because I didn't want the job. But, when they accepted that price, what could I do? I'm not stupid, I'm not going to turn it down for that amount."

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

That's a good point. I've chatted with a few contractors who were amazed/happy that their bids were accepted. One roofing contractor told me, "I gave them an estimate 3 grand higher than what it should have been, simply because I didn't want the job. But, when they accepted that price, what could I do? I'm not stupid, I'm not going to turn it down for that amount."

Well with the housing down turn work is drying up real fast here, N.VA. So demand for workers is low. I see a lot more day workers now then before. Before they be there maybe a couple hours and someone pick them up. Now I see some that are there all the time.

So I have more options and also maybe can afford it now. :)

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

Well with the housing down turn work is drying up real fast here, N.VA. So demand for workers is low. I see a lot more day workers now then before. Before they be there maybe a couple hours and someone pick them up. Now I see some that are there all the time.

If by day workers you mean illegals, you're going to see a lot fewer of them getting picked up as more contractors get fined 25K for using them. At the home depot down the street there is always 50 guys standing around waiting for a day job, it's rare for more than a handful to get work.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

If by day workers you mean illegals, you're going to see a lot fewer of them getting picked up as more contractors get fined 25K for using them. At the home depot down the street there is always 50 guys standing around waiting for a day job, it's rare for more than a handful to get work.

Well near DC they are still here and working.

Oh and another day another no show contractor.
try again tomorrow.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Dude..I have SO been there. All of our pipes were in cement and they started leaking :(

The plumber ran new copper pipe through holes they drilling in the existing cement. It wasn't all that big of a deal actually. Pricing wasn't as much as I thought, but it'll vary from home to home.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
UPDATE

Had another no show, 3 total. Finaly had 1 show up and he would not give a estimate as the cement is really thick. I told him all I need is pipes run and a rough in.

But at least he showed up and said he get back.