any prepaid cell phones work from Mexico?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
there used to be a dude that lives in mexico that would post occasionally
i guess he didn't read this yet

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Tmobile to go now works in Mexico. I got a text message about it 2-3 weeks ago.

edprush

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2000
Originally posted by: FoBoT
there used to be a dude that lives in mexico that would post occasionally
i guess he didn't read this yet

Hey dude from Mexico that posts occasionally....where you at man?

edprush

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Colt45
just buy a local prepaid deal with a sim, pop it in your phone, good to go
I am too dumb to understand that.

I just want to buy one of those prepaid phones (e.g., Tracfone) and be able to use it in Mexico. It won't be used except for monthly trips to Mexico.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I was wondering the same thing. Im going to Cali, Columbia and have to make several stops in certain other Latin American cities along the way. I may then fly to Miami with a large amount of cash, so I need to make sure my untraceable prepaid cellphone works.

Any suggestions?

edprush

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2000
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
I was wondering the same thing. Im going to Cali, Columbia and have to make several stops in certain other Latin American cities along the way. I may then fly to Miami with a large amount of cash, so I need to make sure my untraceable prepaid cellphone works.

Any suggestions?

Would you want to carry my 'luggage' for me?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: edprush
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat

Any suggestions?

Would you want to carry my 'luggage' for me?

Talk to Pedro.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
T-Mobile to Go now offers International Roaming, but I am not sure what countries are included. I know Canada is, and Mexico is likely as well.

"Can I roam internationally with a Pay As You Go plan?"

"Calls placed while roaming internationally, within other countries, will be charged a roaming rate + long distance charge. Please visit the Roam Worldwide section for information regarding current rates."

You will MOST likely need a GSM service to roam internationally. T-Mobile is GSM, and their pre-paid service now offers Intl Roaming. Very expensive though. You would be better served with a postpaid account with WorldClass Service activated, or buying a GSM SIM in the country you are visiting. Some might have extremely high rates back to the US (a prepaid intl SIM), but you can counteract this by using an international LD service like Onesuite.com

http://onesuite.com/access_international.asp

That way you could be charged "local" rates on your Prepaid Mexican or Intl SIM, and yet use Intl LD to call back to the US or other countries.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Buy a cheap unlockled phone and order a sim card that works in mexico. Google mexico sim

edprush

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2000
Originally posted by: doze
Buy a cheap unlockled phone and order a sim card that works in mexico. Google mexico sim

I have a tracfone that I use in the U.S.

Would that accept a sim card that works in Mexico or is tracfone too proprietary to accept other sim cards (whatever sim cards are...I'll have to read up on them).

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: edprush
Originally posted by: doze

I have a tracfone that I use in the U.S.

Would that accept a sim card that works in Mexico or is tracfone too proprietary to accept other sim cards (whatever sim cards are...I'll have to read up on them).

If you can unlock the phone and it is GSM then sure. If not, no.