Discussion Any PowerLine veterans here?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I've been using PowerLine (mains networking) to facilitate wired networking (and to some extent wifi) in my home since I moved house in 2017, and thanks to a customer upgrading I had several spare Netgear mains networking adapters. Because I've been experiencing an irritating intermittent issue with my main PC sometimes not being able to access my server (on the same network), after some unsuccessful troubleshooting I decided to replace all the adapters with gigabit capable adapters. My office has its own gigabit switch (a prelude to the powerline upgrade but also served as a 'just in case my ~20yo 100mbit switch was a problem' test), and typically only my PC is connected, followed by my printer (in terms of frequency) or customers' PCs. The VDSL router is connected to the phone line and (in terms of ethernet networking) only has a powerline unit attached to it. My server is in another room, again with a powerline unit, then my wife's PC is in another room and also has what used to be an ADSL router that was repurposed as a wireless access point. I replaced some of the cabling in the process too; my office is entirely CAT6, I'm fairly sure the router's powerline connection is CAT5E or better (I recognise the white cable from previous powerline kits I've bought for customers), server is CAT6, my wife's connection and the WAP is remained the same as the WAP is only 100mbit capable anyway.

Pre the upgrade, I was getting at best 6 megabytes/sec throughput between my PC and the server. It was a tad anticlimactic when my first test between my PC and my server resulted in 14 megabytes/sec. I then went a read a little bit and others' expectations for gigabit powerline was somewhat higher (the new kit I'm using is rated at AV1000), then I ran exactly the same test again and got 26 megabytes/sec. Is that kind of variation to be expected?

I'm also wondering that if my server could be moved to be directly connected to the router, whether that would result in a powerline throughput boost. To be fair I don't really do much throughput work between my server and main PC, but it would be nice if it performed on the rare occasions I do. I'm mainly hoping it'll fix the intermittent issue.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Do all of your Powerline adapters have the same rating? If not, then your whole Powerline network will be reduced in speed to the slowest adapter. You said that you replaced your adapters. Are they all rated at AV1000 now?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Do all of your Powerline adapters have the same rating? If not, then your whole Powerline network will be reduced in speed to the slowest adapter. You said that you replaced your adapters. Are they all rated at AV1000 now?

Yup, they're identical, all bought at the same time.