Any posters here in the Southwest

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Anyone in New Mexico here? I wanted to send you a copy of An Inconvenient truth;)

The new storm began dumping snow in southern New Mexico early Friday morning. By the end of the weekend, it was forecast to have blanketed the entire state again, topping what in many areas has already been record moisture, NBC affiliate KOB-TV reported from Albuquerque.
The storm, the fifth to strike the state in a month, was predicted to pile as much as 14 more inches of snow on the Grant County area. Since Dec. 1, more than twice as much snow has already fallen in Albuquerque than has fallen in Minneapolis.

Text

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Umm.. OK.. so you think Global Warmings only effect is higher temperatures? .. whatever. Higher temps affect the whole seasonal thing.. eh.. affects ocean temps and currents and giant icebergs breaking off in Canada etc..

Maybe you conveniently skipped over NY being 70+ degrees in January?

jrenz

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
You do know it's an El Nino year, right?

From the El Nino wiki:

In North America, typically, winters are warmer than normal in the upper Midwest states, the Northeast, and Canada, while central and southern California, northwest Mexico and the southwestern U.S., are wetter and cooler than normal. Summer is wetter in the intermountain regions of the U.S. The Pacific Northwest states, on the other hand, tend to experience dry but foggy winters and warm, sunny and precocious springs during an El Niño. During a La Niña, by contrast, the Midwestern U.S. tends to be drier than normal. El Niño is associated with decreased hurricane activity in the Atlantic, especially south of 25º N; this reduction is largely due to stronger wind shear over the tropics.

It's all still global warming though, right?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Ummm according the people in the know, Global Warming will cause the temperature of the earth to rise less than 1 degree in the next however many years.
I warm/cold winter is not a sign of global warming, but just part of normal weather patterns.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Woke up this morning with a real nice blanket of snow here in southern Arizona. The mountains are spectacular. Listening to some Dropkick Murphy's, playing some DOTA, and drinkin some beers... life is good.

I think the main points of contention these days regarding global warming (or "climate change"... as if the climate doesn't change) is whether it's man-made or natural and whether the impact will be little/large.

Since the earth has been warming for the last 20,000 years, I doubt that will significantly change anytime soon.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: cwjerome
Woke up this morning with a real nice blanket of snow here in southern Arizona. The mountains are spectacular. Listening to some Dropkick Murphy's, playing some DOTA, and drinkin some beers... life is good.

I think the main points of contention these days regarding global warming (or "climate change"... as if the climate doesn't change) is whether it's man-made or natural and whether the impact will be little/large.

Since the earth has been warming for the last 20,000 years, I doubt that will significantly change anytime soon.

exactly. Sounds like your enjoying it. How unusual is it for you there?

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Well the mountains along the Mexican border go over 9000 feet, so there's always some snow there in the winter. But there'll be a nice blanket surrounding those "sky islands" 3 or 4 times a season. For a desert rat like myself, this is nice.

We need a lot more El Nino out here... bad drought now going on 11 or so years.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003

I think the real debate, among actual scientists, is how much.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
I'm right across the border in Amarillo, TX. This past night we got 7 to 12 inches of snow, depending on where you happen to be in the area. We've have waves of ice storms all winter, and this time the layer of ice is covered in the aforementioned several inches of snow. I thought I left all this white crap back in Iowa....

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
OP is right...it throws all research out the window.

It got cold somewhere.

Therefore, there is no Global Warming.

Q. E. Fvckin' D.

:roll:

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Strk

Yes, the problem with the debate is that too much of it involves people like cwjerome and daniel49 (and that goes for both sides). Politics has evidently convinced people that they don't need to know what they are talking about in order to have a strongly held opinion on it. I, for one, blame Bill O'Reilly.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Yes, the problem with the debate is that too much of it involves people like cwjerome and daniel49 (and that goes for both sides). Politics has evidently convinced people that they don't need to know what they are talking about in order to have a strongly held opinion on it. I, for one, blame Bill O'Reilly.

What exactly are you talking about?

You mean there's no debate as to whether global warming is man-made? News to me.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
AAAHHH! Snow pack in the Rockies. You should be grateful for the moisture, it will help offset this Summer's drought.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Again.... what do you fools possibly have to gain by ignoring the truth? A false sense of security. Well, most of you folks voted for Bush two times so no big surprise there.

:roll:

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

What exactly are you talking about?

You mean there's no debate as to whether global warming is man-made? News to me.

His point exactly.

/rimshot.

:)

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
as soon as angelina jolie and brad pitt start talking about it, well, then I guess global warming must be true. /sarcasm

enjoy the snow. it was 80 degrees here today in tampa. feels almost like summer

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Originally posted by: feralkid
His point exactly.

/rimshot.
:)

--------------------------
(1) A scientific Discussion of Climate Change, Sallie Baliunas, Ph.D., Harvard- Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics and Willie Soon, Ph.D., Harvard- Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

(2) The Effects of Proposals for Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction; Testimony of Dr. Patrick J. Michaels, Professor of Environmental Sciences, University of Virginia, before the Subcommittee on Energy and Environment of the Committee on Science, United States House of Representatives

(3) Statement Concerning Global Warming-- Presented to the Senate Committee on Environmental and Public Works, June 10, 1997, by Dr. Richard S. Lindzen, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

(4) Excerpts from,"Our Global Future: Climate Change", Remarks by Under Secretary for Global affairs, T. Wirth, 15 September 1997. Site maintained by The Globe - Climate Change Campaign

(5) Testimony of John R. Christy to the Committee on Environmental and Public Works, Department of Atmospheric Science and Earth System Science Laboratory, University of Alabama in Huntsville, July 10, 1997.

(6) The Carbon Dioxide Thermometer and the Cause of Global Warming; Nigel Calder,-- Presented at a seminar SPRU (Science and Technology Policy Research), University of Sussex, Brighton, England, October 6, 1998.

(7) Variation in cosmic ray flux and global cloud coverage: a missing link in solar-climate relationships; H. Svensmark and E. Friis-Christiansen, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar- Terrestrial Physics, vol. 59, pp. 1225 - 1232 (1997).

(8) First International Conference on Global Warming and the Next Ice Age; Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, sponsored by the Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society and the American Meteorological Society, August 21-24, 2001.

Geological Constraints on Global Climate Variability: Dr. Lee C. Gerhard-- A variety of natural climate drivers constantly change our climate. A slide format presentation. 8.5 MB.

Thoughts of Global Warming: "The bottom line is that climatic change is a given. It is inescapable, it happens. There is no reason to be very concerned about it or spend bazillions of dollars to try and even things out.

NOAA Paleoclimatology: An educational trip through earths distant and recent past. Also contains useful information and illustrations relating to the causes of climate change.

Cracking the Ice Age: From the PBS website-- NOVA online presents a brief tour of the causes of global warming.

Little Ice Age (Solar Influence - Temperature): From the online magazine, "CO2 Science."

Solar Variability and Climate Change: by Willie Soon, January 10, 2000

Earth's Fidgeting Climate: NASA Science News "It may surprise many people that science cannot deliver an unqualified, unanimous answer about something as important as climate change"
----------------------------

So there's no debate concerning man-made or natural? Need a couple hundred more pages?

I might disagree with a position, but to pretend there's no debate... wow, that's weird.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005

Is this where you march out a few quack celebrities to endorse you al?

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
WOOO, snow day!

It's coming down real good... work is canceled. The whole installation is shut down. Bless the white fluffy stuff.