Any police officers here? What does it take?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've just about had it with the tech industry and want to get into a new line of work. Law enforcement is what I wanted to do 10 years ago, but it didn't work out that way. I sort of fell into the computer industry, and have been pretty succesful in it, but I'm just sick of it now. So what does it take to become a cop?

Thanks
Chris

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
I don't know what it takes but when I was in community college alot of guys were taking law enforcement classes. Most of them were hoping to become cops and they always told me that if you have and applied associates degree in law enforcement that you stand a better chance in becoming a cop.

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
My cousin wanted to become a cop, but apparently he got rejected from the police academy for being "too nice." I thought that was really weird, but I guess it makes sense, when I think to all the cops I know. Why don't you consider intelligence agencies? My sister has a friend in the CIA, and my college budy is now working for the FBI. Neither was a cop beforehand.

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000
if you want to go into law enforcement, and you are an intelligent person, you might
want to look into Federal law enforcement (i.e. Federal Marshalls, FBI, etc).

Also, you might want to look in to Detective work at your local PD. But keep in mind,
many local PD's have cops that are still part of the "good 'ol boy" system"...they
will have less respect for you (actually they feel inadequate compared to you) because
you are smart and have better opportunities.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Bober, my Dads a cop (for 22years) he has talked on several occasions about people jumping into the police profession after they tire from their normal :))) job. I remember this one guy, he had a seat on the Chicago Board of Trade, and at about 35 years old decided to become a cop. I know the departments in this area want some sort of college degree, so if you've got that you should be Golden. Well if you are not a felon, etc... :0

I would just start filling out applications, the departments should have a App packet with all of the pertinent info.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i also wonder if highway patrols get paid any better/worse than regular "beat" cops? are there any better perks, besides getting to sit in your car and sleep alot? :)

kantonburg

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
My girlfriend's father is a cop. Has been since he was 18. He's a retired Master Sgt. from the Air Force and now works for the MWAA (Metropolotian Washington Airports Authority) and about to transfer to Fairfax County. AFAIK he makes about 60K and abou 75K with all the overtime he works (voluntary).

He has a masters degree (can't remember what) but he loves his job. All I know is you have to love something to keep it for 23 years.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I sure hope not. ;)

Am I the only one that feels unsecure around cops?

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999

I have never had a bad experience with cops, so I feel comfortable around them. If someone has a bad experience with oen at an early age, it can breed an unhealthy distrust of authority throughout life.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
um, make sure you don't score too high on the entrance exam... they think you'd be so smart, that you'd quit after they spend the time and money training and all that crap, and won't accept you.

basically, law enforcement requires that: you be an ass... working it off, and treating others. make sure you are in good shape, you'll be doing some running... and some more running, sooner or later.

i am kidding about being an ass.

what type of law enforcement? city, small town, what?

--

i live in NYC, don't talk to me about cops... too many bad ones, and too many morons (cops and regular civilians). there are good ones though =)

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the replies guys. I've been looking around and it seems to depend on where you are. Some require a certain number of college credits, others just require a HS diploma. I'll keep looking around.

bigvince

Banned
Aug 25, 2000
well in chicago you need at least a two year degree and it helps ALOT if you got somebody on the inside

RGN

ya i think i know that guy from the CBOT....james tolliver?

DanC

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2000
Bober -
I've PM'd you a number of times.

It takes:
The ability to knuckle under to the pressure of politics even when you know what the law is.
The ability to withstand hours of boredom punctuated by moments of panic.
The ability to endure hatred because of what you choose to do.
The willingness to wear a target on your chest, on behalf of the supremacist government.

Enough?

tommyc

Jul 3, 2000
A copper, wow ! I'd imagine that you'd have to be thick skinned and
tolerant to deal with some of the sh@t them guys have to put up with. I know I couldn't do it. Jeeeezzz, just driving to and from work evary day I
see at least 20 0r 30 people doing stuff that makes me want to bash their
heads in.
One thing I've learned is to NEVER argue with a cop. A good cop doesn't
deserve the hassle, and arguing with a bad one is just plain stupid.
tommyc

syber321

Apr 11, 2000
In NYC, you need to have at least 60 college credits and be under 28 years old, as far as I've heard.