any place do reviews on water filters?

ZippyDan

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2001
im thinking of buying one of those water filters like by pur or brita or whatever. but theres all kinds of choices, pitchers or things you attach right to the faucet. 2 stage or 3 stage (i assume 3 is better)

im wondering if any place actually checks what kind of job these filters do and chooses the best one

Indolent

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2003
I didn't find any place that tested the filters. I just looked at amazon reviews when I was looking for a faucet mounted one. I would assume they are relatively comperable. I bought a PUR one and my water doesn't taste like crap anymore so I know it works.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
I don't know about reviews, but don't settle for anything less than a filter with a reverse osmosis stage.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
I have a Brita pitcher, but honestly I think the water tastes better simply because it's kept chilled in the refrigerator.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
I think it tastes different, although I wouldn't say better. The filter obviously removes minerals and impurities from the water, but why would these minerals be bad for you? Water picks up all kinds of stuff from the rocks it flows though, it always has, and animals have always drunk it.

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Atheus
I think it tastes different, although I wouldn't say better. The filter obviously removes minerals and impurities from the water, but why would these minerals be bad for you? Water picks up all kinds of stuff from the rocks it flows though, it always has, and animals have always drunk it.

But in some places, such as DC, they have high enough levels of lead in the water that they advise against the consumption of tap water by the elderly and the very young children, so a water filter is a good way of removing that lead.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
Originally posted by: Atheus

But in some places, such as DC, they have high enough levels of lead in the water that they advise against the consumption of tap water by the elderly and the very young children, so a water filter is a good way of removing that lead.

Wow, shouldn't the government be doing something about that? I mean if that happened in this country people wouldn't put up with it I'm sure.

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
Dang!

Where I grew up, their water quality (at least at one point) was rated number one in the nation. Now, it tastes like I am drinking from a swimming pool if I drink from the tap. You don't even want to think what lemonade tastes like... yech!

I have filtered water through my fridge, that takes the Chlorine taste out, not sure what else. The filters are super expensive though, and everytime I go to buy one, I talk myself out of it. They're like $50 or so and are supposed to be replaced every six months. WTF? I haven't replaced mine in three years, and it still seems to be working great for me!