Any password manager usable on a somewhat closed network?

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
At work I cannot take any portable media into the building, or any wifi enabled device, and I can't install software or extensions. I'm not concerned about work snooping on me as I don't access anything from the network that is sensitive... But I do have masses of passwords to social media accounts and the like that I would like to harden. Is any program in particular suited to this?

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Can't take a personal usb into work. They are pretty clueless about security and recently banned any "unapproved" storage devices. They might let me have one at work for just that purpose tho if there is no other option.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
If I'm remembering correctly, PasswordSafe doesn't require installation. But you would obviously need to be able to download it, and you said you're on a "somewhat closed network", so that may not work depending on exactly what you meant by that.

Honestly, you should ask your IT department if they have any approved software for password management.

Can't take a personal usb into work. They are pretty clueless about security and recently banned any "unapproved" storage devices. They might let me have one at work for just that purpose tho if there is no other option.

Why do you say they are clueless about security? Not allowing people to connect their personal, potentially malware-ridden, USB devices is considered good security. Likewise, keeping any unapproved devices out of the environment is a best-practice.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
sticky-notes.jpg

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
hahah @ sticky note.

I know you can't use a USB but is it at all possible to DL portable keepass on a folder on your PC? I have done that before...

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
If the network is locked down that much, are you actually allowed to access those social media sites from your work computer? If not, then bypassing the security policy (with a password manager/storage device) in order to bypass the security policy (accessing non-approved sites) probably isn't a good idea.

I agree with seepy. Ask the local IT _if_ it is allowed, and if so, what programs or other options are allowed.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Why do you say they are clueless about security? Not allowing people to connect their personal, potentially malware-ridden, USB devices is considered good security. Likewise, keeping any unapproved devices out of the environment is a best-practice.

Sorry, no context. They banned USB sticks because of idiots in another department putting things on them that they had no business putting on them, taking them home for no reason, and then losing them in a manner that led to them being recovered by people who had no business being in possession of them. So, therefore I lost my USB stick that I've used for years in a responsible manner and that I need from time to time. Now when I need one I have to hope that my boss has a spare to give to me to use. Meanwhile, the idiots who offend by taking shit home and losing it STILL CAN because they have daily reasons to use portable media and are thus issued it full time. They also would rather that we write down the dozen or so different internal passwords that we have for different systems rather than integrate a password solution for them. Rant off.

As for permission to use them, we have an explicit set of rules and we're allowed to use the network during breaks and during downtime, so I'm not worried there. Some are also used for work for research and such.

I could totally email myself a keepass file. I will ask if that`s a permissible work around. The post-it is my current solution lol.