Any other jobs that LEGALLY make less than minimum wage other than waiters/waitresses?

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
Waiter and waitresses only make like $2 an hour on the books
because they get tips.

Their employers are legally exempt from paying them minimum wage.

As far as I know, this is the only profession where this takes place,
including other jobs where tips are expected.

For example, delivery drivers, bartenders, hair dressers, etc. make at least
minimum wage plus tips...

I really don't see how employers can get away with not paying waitesses minimum
wage but I guess that's the way it is...

Waiters/waitresses are the only people that I feel I truly do depend on the tip for income.

For other occupations where it is customary to tip, it's more of a small a bonus or reward,
which is what a tip is supposed to be.

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
As a bartender I made less than minimum wage...anyway

I don't think I've ever met a waitress/ waiter that didn't make significantly more than minimum wage when tips were included.

Edit: If they don't the employer is obligated to make up the difference.

jaedaliu

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2005
maybe car salesman? and like QuitBanningMe said, if they don't make enough commissions, the dealer probably pays them minimum wage. (though in reality they probably get fired/leave in disgust)

flamingelephant

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
in my province minimum wage is minumum wage... its the minimum you have to get paid an hour... regardless of tips

icejunkie

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: QuitBanningMe
As a bartender I made less than minimum wage...anyway

I don't think I've ever met a waitress/ waiter that didn't make significantly more than minimum wage when tips were included.

Edit: If they don't the employer is obligated to make up the difference.

Winnar! :thumbsup:

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
Originally posted by: jaedaliu
maybe car salesman? and like QuitBanningMe said, if they don't make enough commissions, the dealer probably pays them minimum wage. (though in reality they probably get fired/leave in disgust)

That one depends on the dealership.

I worked for a Nissan dealership in SC. We were given a $400 draw midmonth. It was taken out of our commission at the end of the month. If you didn't sell any cars you owed the money back. Looking back I'm not sure of the legality of the whole situation but I suppose it is somewhat like renting a chair at a hair salon except the rent money is paid in sales profit. They just allowed you to use a desk to make yourself and them some money.

A friend of mine worked for Mitsu and they guaranteed salary. Of course if you didn't sell anything you were promptly fired.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Migrant farm workers? (fruit pickers, etc.)

According to the paper, the handful of shepherds left in Washington state earn less than minimum wage.

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
Various minimum wage exceptions apply under specific circumstances to workers with disabilities, full-time students, youth under age 20 in their first 90 consecutive calendar days of employment, tipped employees and student-learners.

An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equals at least the federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.

A minimum wage of $4.25 per hour applies to young workers under the age of 20 during their first 90 consecutive calendar days of employment with an employer, as long as their work does not displace other workers. After 90 consecutive days of employment or the employee reaches 20 years of age, whichever comes first, the employee must receive a minimum wage of $5.15 per hour.

The Full-time Student Program is for full-time students employed in retail or service stores, agriculture, or colleges and universities. The employer that hires students can obtain a certificate from the Department of Labor which allows the student to be paid not less than 85% of the minimum wage. The certificate also limits the hours that the student may work to 8 hours in a day and no more than 20 hours a week when school is in session and 40 hours when school is out, and requires the employer to follow all child labor laws. Once students graduate or leave school for good, they must be paid $5.15 per hour.

This program is for high school students at least 16 years old who are enrolled in vocational education (shop courses). The employer that hires the student can obtain a certificate from the Department of Labor which allows the student to be paid not less than 75% of the minimum wage, for as long as the student is enrolled in the vocational education program.