Any other games like classic Colonization?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I see the original is available on Steam.

I've played Civ IV remake version.

But am wondering if anyone else has taken a stab a making a colonization type game?

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I wish. I know others will blow-up on me, but Colonization was the most fun I had from MicroProse. Absolutely loved the game. The content was awesome and the game length was perfect.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I wish. I know others will blow-up on me, but Colonization was the most fun I had from MicroProse. Absolutely loved the game. The content was awesome and the game length was perfect.

It seemed more advanced then Civilization at the time. Not only did you have the natives and other colonizers to deal with but also the king.

I saw there is an open source version: http://www.freecol.org/

Couldn't get it to work with my dual monitors. So went ahead and bought Colonization from Steam. Bad idea... Played till 4AM. The whole time I kept thinking about Civilization strategy and game mechanics. Obviously they don't hold a lot of water in this game, so it was refreshing to play a straight forward game without 50 different units.

Was kind of funny, started my first city near the ocean. Few turns into it I realized there wasn't any tech tree to guide me toward water advancements to produce more food. So I had 3 useless tiles lol! Settlement started running out of food and I had to setup a trade route from one settlement that had a + to the one running out.

What's really amazing is we all used to play games like this back in the day and it kept our attention. Holly cow the graphics are so washed out I was getting a headache. Not sure how I was able to play back then.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
You can colonize the west in Europa universalis but that's a very different style of 4x

Is that a scenario?

I tried playing a version of that game that I really wanted to get into, but it was beyond my brain capacity. It's like Dwarf Fortress for me, can't figure it out.

Is the learning curve any easier in the newer versions?

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
Nothing really compares to the Original Colonization. Its really its own unique game. And i even prefer it to the remake. The music and graphics are wonderfully nostalgic since i got the game as a wee lad back in the 90s. Its good to hear its on steam now, but ive been running it on DOS box for years and it works just fine. Every couple years ill binge on playing it for a couple months before putting it down again. Such a fantastic game.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Nothing really compares to the Original Colonization. Its really its own unique game. And i even prefer it to the remake. The music and graphics are wonderfully nostalgic since i got the game as a wee lad back in the 90s. Its good to hear its on steam now, but ive been running it on DOS box for years and it works just fine. Every couple years ill binge on playing it for a couple months before putting it down again. Such a fantastic game.

Totally agree. :)

It had a great mix of exploration, market/trade, city-building, battle and politics. All at the same time, it had an 'accessibility' that most modern strategy games don't have, but still has a lot of depth for replayability.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
Is that a scenario?

I tried playing a version of that game that I really wanted to get into, but it was beyond my brain capacity. It's like Dwarf Fortress for me, can't figure it out.

Is the learning curve any easier in the newer versions?
The best way to learn this extremely very awesome game is by watching "Let's Play"s (or you can also search for "Let's Learn") in youtube.