Any other folks with celiac disease around here?

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
For those non-versed in gluten free living, celiac disease is a auto immune disorder of the small bowel. It is caused by a reaction to gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley and rye. See Text.

What this means is, I cannot eat bread, bagels, cookies, crackers, pretzels, Chinese, Japanese (soy sauce and teriyaki sauce have wheat in them sometimes), twizzlers, drink beer, spaghetti, pasta, breaded foods like chicken nuggets, most granola bars, and tons of other things. I also cannot eat french fries from fast food joints, since they fry their chicken nuggets in the same oil as the fries, causing them to be contaminated. You would be amazed at what you find wheat in.

Anyway, I am 20 and just started my sophomore year of college. I was diagnosed with it earlier this year, when I was still living in the dorm in winter quarter. I moved home for the spring quarter since I can't eat any of the food at the on-campus dining halls or restaurants. My mother also has celiac disease, so she cooks for both of us at the moment.

I'm going to have to learn how to cook before I move out...

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
A friend of mine had a sister who had celiac disease. She ate rice cakes a lot from what I remember. She would put peanut butter on them.

Can you drink wine?

darthsidious

Jul 13, 2005
I'm sorry....

BTW, they do have gluten-free beer available at some places now, so you can drink some beers.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by: moshquerade
A friend of mine had a sister who had celiac disease. She ate rice cakes a lot from what I remember. She would put peanut butter on them.

Can you drink wine?

not legally :p but yes.

I love rice cakes, especially the caramel ones.

Originally posted by: darthsidious
BTW, they do have gluten-free beer available at some places now, so you can drink some beers.

yarr, I saw some while browsing around at Wild Oats. Have not tried it though.

Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Well, at least you can still eat a nice steak and baked potato.

yessir, when I go to Skyline, I get either chili-cheese fries or chili and cheese on a baked potato.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Father-in-law and a couple of my wife's siblings and a few of their kids have been diagnosed with it.
Her doc said she doesn't have it, but it seems like it is a sure shot considering most of the siblings have it.

Its actually really common, I haven't been tested and don't really want to know personally, as I love my wheats.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by: novasatori
Father-in-law and a couple of my wife's siblings and a few of their kids have been diagnosed with it.
Her doc said she doesn't have it, but it seems like it is a sure shot considering most of the siblings have it.

Its actually really common, I haven't been tested and don't really want to know personally, as I love my wheats.

it is indeed common; about 1% of the population (endo-european, according to wiki) have it, but only something like 3% are actually diagnosed correctly (if I recall what I heard correctly). The rest are all misdiagnosed with IBS and other such diseases.

I am also fairly lactose intolerant (sometimes a result of celiac disease)

WorldHavok

Apr 14, 2007
My GF has celiac (which by default means I do too). With a little shopping you can find replacements for most of the items that you would normally buy. There are some drawbacks though. Most of the food items are sold at specialty stores (Wild Oats, etc) and they are expensive. The pastas are mostly pretty bad. The cookies are good but $3.00 for 8 (I think).
On the medical side, ignoring celiac can lead to some serious medical issues. Depression is fairly common when it is misdiagnosed. Prolonged exposure can lead to malnutrition and possibly schitzophrenea (sp).
God I miss pizza!
Good Luck

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
I had a good gluten free pizza for dinner today. I have a bag of premade 7" gluten free pizza crusts. Tell your GF to give it a try, they're the best gluten free pizza crust i've had, including the home made ones my mother has made (not airy enough imo). Brand is "kinnikinnick." It was very tasty, bacon pizza + dew = heaven.