Any other bag aficionados here?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Naw, just usefulness. The hell am I going to put in a little satchel? I either need my pockets, or a backpack. Never needed anything in between.

There's a lot of stuff that you don't need a whole backpack for that is too big for your pockets these days - primarily due to the rise of tech.

Especially for urban area living where you are taking mass transit a lot, or bikes. If i'm driving around I rarely take a bag with me. But if I'm on two wheels or in the subway and cabs/ubers, I'll throw in my small sling my kindle to read at the park or on the train, my Senn true wireless earbuds in their charging case for some music options. With phones being so essential I just keep a small battery pack and charging cable in there just in case I forgot to charge my phone or am spending the whole day out and about. Plus it's a nice place to throw your keys in when walking around instead of hanging off your belt on a carabiner and jangling about.

Nowadays I'll throw in some hand sanitizer, eyedrops for my contacts, maybe a case for my aviators. That's pretty much it. If I'm riding in the heat, a microfiber sweat rag, cause I get hot easy and a couple energy gels. Also for biking, a sling is often better than a backpack, you can slide it right in front of you and utilize it while still on the bike easier than a backpack. Slings are also much faster for photographers to do lens changes and the such since you don't have to take them off the body to use. If it's a bike ride and I don't need much I'll take a smaller sling - throw a patch kit in there, my bike lights and u lock and go. It's just that much less surface area pressing on your back to sweat from.

There's a whole lot of reasons for different styles/sizes of bags. Of course now during Covid I don't do much out of the house for fun besides hike, then I just take a backpack with me.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Careful with that, next time it might be a bear who will be less lenient. I make as much noise as possible while hiking... Talking, whistling, whacking shit with branches, etc.

i dress in yellow and blue and sing tom bombadil songs when i'm hiking

don't want a bear or dick cheney mistaking me for something to kill

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
i dress in yellow and blue and sing tom bombadil songs when i'm hiking

don't want a bear or dick cheney mistaking me for something to kill

When I was hiking in Alaska on the Kenai, I had a whistle. Never saw a grizzly or dick cheney but did see fairly fresh grizzly poop. That got me a little anxious. Blew that whistle loud and turned around.

Hiiking in Northern NJ once some years back and turned a corner and saw a black bear with her two cubs less than 100 yards away. We stopped and slowly turned around and walked away.

• Wow
Reactions: brianmanahan

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
This thread confuses me, because there's only two bags I would willingly carry, unless I was holding it for my wife because I'm a gentleman.

Or some variation of the above. Anything else is just wasting time.

So, none of you naysayers work in an office and have to carry a laptop to and from the office? Those packs are freaking huge. I've carried less luggage on a 4 day trip.

I don't think this is particularly feminine. This is the only bag I carry and I really only use it to carry my laptop computer and other gadgets to and from work.

tumi.jpg

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
So, none of you naysayers work in an office and have to carry a laptop to and from the office? Those packs are freaking huge. I've carried less luggage on a 4 day trip.

I don't think this is particularly feminine. This is the only bag I carry and I really only use it to carry my laptop computer and other gadgets to and from work.

View attachment 28770

I use a backpack with laptop compartment.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

View attachment 28770
No, if i carry any laptop, it's carried gently in my hands like a proper sysad. But my work system is a desktop. Laptops are shit.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
No, if i carry any laptop, it's carried gently in my hands like a proper sysad. But my work system is a desktop. Laptops are shit.

Well, working from home part of the time kind of necessitates me having a laptop. I have a docking station and dual monitor setup at work. At home I plug my wife's 27" monitor into the HDMI port on the laptop and a usb mouse and keyboard so it isn't much different than my work setup. My computing needs (mostly spreadsheets and e-mail) are easily met by a small lightweight laptop. It has 120GB SSD, 8GB RAM and an i5 processor running Windows 10.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I purchased an Osprey bag for about $55 a few months ago (regular price would be about $110). I also have a Jansport way back in school ($45 I think) and a small swing bag ($20) whenever I travel to developing countries (swing it to the front to stop pick pocketers).

Then I have a few offbrand bags and I can't remember the names and prices right now.

There are some serious hard core folks with obsession about bags. Plenty of subs on Reddit.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Current favorite bag for taking on dates into the city with me (hold my wireless buds, battery pack, gloves, ramen map of NYC, spare contacts, mints, keys, sunglasses case):

aer10014_ds2xpac_front.jpg

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Current favorite bag for taking on dates into the city with me (hold my wireless buds, battery pack, gloves, ramen map of NYC, spare contacts, mints, keys, sunglasses case):

View attachment 39667

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
1-thats-what-wecall-a-man-purse-9983945.png

thumb_man-purse-dont-you-mean-pockets-quickmeme-com-man-purse-dont-50528819.png