Any other "2 Finger" typers here?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Anyone else here have an "unorthodox" method of typing? I never took a course so after years of just typing I got speedy with my 2 finger method, i think i am around 70-80wpm, with pretty good accuracy, but its been awhile since i bothered to test.

Mainly I type with my two index fingers, with the exception of my right thumb hitting the space bar and my right pinky hitting enter. It probably explains why i have so many hand problems, taking into account the amount of time per day i spend on the computer.

Anyone else a '2-finger' typer?

EDIT:

Gross WPM: 77.20
Net WPM: 74.31
Accuracy: 96.25
Total keystrokes 534
Keystroke Errors: 20
Test duration: 1.38

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Wow, you'd have to shift your hands on the keyboard a lot to do that. That sounds tiring.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i'm primarily 2 finger typer like you but i do use some other fingers if i can manage it. i'm also pretty fast at typeing but as for accuracy, well...its ok i guess, no where near perfect.

i use my thumb for space and sometimes other keys also.

i took a typing class in HS but just couldn't get it down. this is way easier for me.

Reggae4k

Mar 24, 2000
how do you read and type at the same time? can you locate the keyboard letters without looking?

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
I just don't understand how you can have close to 30,000 posts here and not be able to type correctly? That's a lot of typing. Do you have to look at the keyboard still? I find it hard to believe that you can type 70-80wpm in that manner.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I'm not a home-row typer, but I do use nearly all of my fingers, except maybe my right pinky since I never use the right shift key.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Reggae4k
how do you read and type at the same time? can you locate the keyboard letters without looking?

yep, i can read and type just as well as someone else who types normally. Can locate all the letters just fine, it just looks kinda funny to see my hand flying all over the keyboard to see me type. My "home" keys are 'D' for the left hand and 'K' for the right.

Want me to take a video of this tonight after class? :)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

i rarely have to type and read at the same time so it doesn't bother me. if i do have to type something thats written down i just quickly memorize as much as i can, type, memorize again, type, etc....

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: loup garou
I just don't understand how you can have close to 30,000 posts here and not be able to type correctly? That's a lot of typing. Do you have to look at the keyboard still? I find it hard to believe that you can type 70-80wpm in that manner.

i've been typing this way for over 10 years, i tried teaching myself the proper way, but it was had to break an old habit.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Since my wrist has been dead for weeks from nerve damage I've been employing a one finger, one hand typing method to some success.
Sweet jesus my nerves need to grow back.

Unheard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2003
I use my left index, left thumb, right thumb, right index, and right middle to type. I average 80wpm without looking, and posistion myself using my thumb on the space bar.

Xyo II

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2005
Originally posted by: aphex

yep, i can read and type just as well as someone else who types normally. Can locate all the letters just fine, it just looks kinda funny to see my hand flying all over the keyboard to see me type. My "home" keys are 'D' for the left hand and 'K' for the right.

Want me to take a video of this tonight after class? :)

Do it! 2 finger typing @ 70 wpm.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: aphex
Originally posted by: loup garou

i've been typing this way for over 10 years, i tried teaching myself the proper way, but it was had to break an old habit.

same here. i could never get used to the "real way" of typing. its extremely uncomfortable, plus i could never remember where the keys and my hands are. just not coordinated that well i guess.

swimscubasteve

Jun 10, 2005
I am as well and have been for 15 years but I would really like to learn how to properly type.

Anyone have a suggestion for the best program out there for learning?

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
I also have joined the 2 finger typing club. I used to be able to type properly, but gave it up

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: JS80
i would never hire anyone who types with 2 fingers.

Even if they were the most qualified applicant (besides typing skill)?

Unless you're a secretary or somesuch, I fail to see how that would be a dealbreaker...

Edit: I type with 3-4 fingers, and my right thumb. I can manage 30 wpm usually. Embarrasing as it is, I just bought some Mavis Beacon software. :p

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: MrPickins
Originally posted by: JS80
i would never hire anyone who types with 2 fingers.

Even if they were the most qualified applicant (besides typing skill)?

Unless you're a secretary or somesuch, I fail to see how that would be a dealbreaker...

nah, its just the ATOT "my penis is bigger than yours" spiel(sp). the people here will always try to make themselves look better than someone else, no matter what it is.

ATOTer #1: I had a peanut butter sandwich for lunch today.
ATOTer #2: Yeah? Well, I had a peanut butter AND jelly sandwich for lunch today.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
I don't "just use" my pointer fingers, but they're pretty much the only ones I "type" with. I use my pinky and thumbs to handle the shift, spacebar, and other keys along the side.

Dec 27, 2001
I use 3 fingers and type 45 WPM. I started a mandatory typing class in high school, but I could feel my mind starting to conform to what it was supposed to and I decided I didn't want that (having letters of words tied to a subconscious image of akeyboard and tied to a physical reflex) and stopped doing the lessons. Then I transferred and the new school didn't require it. I don't know, it wigged me out and I said to hell with it.