Any other "2 Finger" typers here?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I just downloaded 'Speed Typing Test 2000' from download.com and ran a quick 'Internet' test.

Gross WPM: 77.20
Net WPM: 74.31
Accuracy: 96.25
Total keystrokes 534
Keystroke Errors: 20
Test duration: 1.38

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
I use 3 fingers and type 45 WPM. I started a mandatory typing class in high school, but I could feel my mind starting to conform to what it was supposed to and I decided I didn't want that (having letters of words tied to a subconscious image of akeyboard and tied to a physical reflex) and stopped doing the lessons. Then I transferred and the new school didn't require it. I don't know, it wigged me out and I said to hell with it.
This has to be the most rediculous statement I've heard all week.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
3 fingers each hand here, i can only use the ring finger once in a while on the As and Qs and Zs and almost never use the pinky unless i need it on the shift button. the thumb only for the spacebar

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: tweakmm
I use 3 fingers and type 45 WPM. I started a mandatory typing class in high school, but I could feel my mind starting to conform to what it was supposed to and I decided I didn't want that (having letters of words tied to a subconscious image of akeyboard and tied to a physical reflex) and stopped doing the lessons. Then I transferred and the new school didn't require it. I don't know, it wigged me out and I said to hell with it.
This has to be the most rediculous statement I've heard this week.

Probably. Like I said it just wigged me out. Same with piano lessons. Something about these abstract things being somehow joined didn't feel right.

It's like church and state merging. You go, "whoa, wait a minute, what happens if this occurs and each loses automomy.........I don't know, but I think it would probably be more bad than good.....maybe I need to consider this more before it happens and its too late."

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
This has to be the most rediculous statement I've heard this week.

Probably. Like I said it just wigged me out. Same with piano lessons. Something about these abstract things being somehow joined didn't feel right.

It's like church and state merging. You go, "whoa, wait a minute, what happens if this occurs and each loses automomy.........I don't know, but I think it would probably be more bad than good.....maybe I need to consider this more before it happens and its too late."

It's called unconscious competence, and is very important to mastering any skill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_competence

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Descartes
70-80wpm would be impressive for a two-finger typer.

Haha hell yeah it is! I've been typing the "proper way" (home row, is it called?) since we started to get taught it in fifth grade, and I'm 23 now. I can type about 100 wpm with 96% or 98% accuracy.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
oh hell no, it was hideously slow. i just forced myself to use all my fingers with default position on the middle row. doesn't take that long to build up memory from use and then it becomes effortless. i think u have to be convinced u can't learn how to type to stick to 2 finger bs.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
This has to be the most rediculous statement I've heard all week.

Hopefully, there's some sarcasm in his post.

I used to be able to type fairly quickly using 2ish finger method and it took a lot of effort to change it in a typing class. I didn't have to take a typing class, but I did anyway because I knew I would never learn the proper way without being graded on it. After I finished the class, I could only touch type around 25 wpm, but the worse part was over. Getting AIM helped because it actually gave me an everyday reason to type correctly. There is a girl I know in college here and she still uses a two finger method. It's almost painful to watch her type because she can only type at 15 wpm.

If you can type at 70 wpm using two fingers, well, more power to you. That will destroy your hands though if you end up writing code for a job.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't type normally, but can still type over 100wpm with 99% accuracy.

I type with all my fingers on my left hand, but only my index finger on my right..

I guess it looks really funny to other people because my left hand stays relativly stationary but my right hand jumps all over the place like it's having a siezure.

lol

Oh, and I can interchange index with any finger on my right hand. If I'm eating something like chips and my hands are greasy, I type with my pinky or ring finger.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
My friend uses the most unorthadox method I've ever seen. He uses his left hand to type on the keyboard in its entirety while his right hand stays on the mouse. He's a programmer and I can see why he'd do that, but I've never seen someone type as fast as he does with only one hand.

As for me, I type "traditionally" with the exception of my right pinky touching nothing but ";'/" I never use my right shift key or any of the ones to the right of the space bar.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: rockyct
If you can type at 70 wpm using two fingers, well, more power to you. That will destroy your hands though if you end up writing code for a job.

On the contrary, I think it has saved me and will continue to save me from wrist problems. My hands move all over the place so they don't get locked in place.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: rockyct

On the contrary, I think it has saved me and will continue to save me from wrist problems. My hands move all over the place so they don't get locked in place.
Yep, same.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: MrPickins
Originally posted by: JS80
i would never hire anyone who types with 2 fingers.

Even if they were the most qualified applicant (besides typing skill)?

Unless you're a secretary or somesuch, I fail to see how that would be a dealbreaker...

Edit: I type with 3-4 fingers, and my right thumb. I can manage 30 wpm usually. Embarrasing as it is, I just bought some Mavis Beacon software. :p

i should reword it but i'm too lazy.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: SirChadwick
Hunt and pecker typers drive me nuts.... it doesn't take much to learn.

But i don't hunt and peck at all. In fact, the only time i really look down is to find the F-keys.

Reggae4k

Mar 24, 2000
as long as you dont have to look down to locate the keys, i dont find it a problem.

i will say that i hired a temp to do some data entry and found out he was a two finger typer. it bothered me but i decided to give him a chance. after a month, i realized he couldnt locate the keys without looking, i let him go.

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
I never could get the hang of regular typing. My brain doesn't communicate with my fingers too well.