Any one using the Developer Edition Dell XPS 13 ?

spideyontheweb

Aug 24, 2011
Hi
I am torn between A Macbook and a XPS 13 Developer Edition. The Developer Edition looks more attractive but pricey.The fact that I'll be using Ubuntu Linux in University is another reason.

I have heard of wifi and battery problems even with xps .

Any one using the Developer edition and how is the laptop performing? I understand it only came out this June. Thanks

XPS 13 Developer Edition

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013
You'd probably have better luck asking the folks on Phoronix.

The one thing I'd be wary about for Linux is DPI scaling. I used a XPS 15 9550 4K at work for awhile and the DPI scaling sucks for Fedora 24/Ubuntu 16.04 in certain situations. I would image the 1800p XPS 13 would have the same issues.

It also sucks for certain Windows apps (mostly legacy) as well.

Spicedaddy

Platinum Member
Apr 18, 2002
MacBook Retina is underpowered IMO, if you want a Mac then I'd get the MacBook Pro Retina 13".

That said, I've had both a MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2015 and a Dell XPS 13 (latest Skylake model, had one with the 1080p non-touchscreen and one with the higher res touchscreen) side by side. Both are awesome, but the XPS 13 is much smaller and lighter if you're going to carry it around.

So I'd recommend the XPS 13, but with Windows 10.

virtuality

Mar 22, 2013
The guys over there at Hacker News state the XPS is a consumer notebook. With the exact same specs (RAM, CPU, storage) it costs exactly the same as a MacBook Air, which the Hacker News guys claim is a business class notebook. How did you decide, what's your conclusion? For consumer or business notebook: think build quality.

This is common, I heard: https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...-fix-new-xps-still-have-this-problem.2485549/
Also Google for 'xps 13 coil whine.' Never heard the term before.