Any one own a Viper II? got some questions.

Plester

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
how do you get this thing to run 3d? its on an Abit BF6, using latest diamond or s3 drivers = no Q3A and windowed UT, any advice? bios settings, best driver set... i know these things are tricky, and all the old S3 fan sites are pretty dead and without much info.

Jul 1, 2000
You mean that Q3A won't work and UT runs in a window?

Did you use a different video card prior to using the Viper 2? If so, that could be the problem. May need to do the format/reinstall thing.

Copperpipe

Jul 19, 2000
Did you go through the software installation on the CD that came with the card? I only have a K6-III+ system with my Viper II, and 3D works OK - w/OPENGL being faster than D3D.

Plester

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
no drivers from old cards involved, clean install all the way around. will try a few bios tweaks and agp1x. man they weren't kidding when they said these things were a bear.

vss1980

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2000
Hmmm, the card should work fine, S3 went to a lot of trouble to make sure that games like Q3 and UT worked very well with no issues.

As far as best driver set, the last 9.51.12 for Win9x/ME and 9.21.01 for Win2K are pretty much the best available. As far as tweak programs go, S3Tweak is pretty hard to beat.

There are tweaked drivers available (and sometimes they run better with more speed and less artifacts than the official drivers) but they dont offer any extra stability. You may want to consider them when you get more familiar with the card.

Jul 1, 2000
Viper II was a pretty nice card for me at least. I was able to run Q3A and UT with ease. Haven't found a card out there that did as good a job with UT as the Viper did (texture compression is pretty :) )

Sept1967

Jan 26, 2001
Yeah, use any S3 tweak program, try disabling fog,auto mip mapping,sidebanding. To see if it works.

Also use MeTaL in UT, you wont believe your eyes.

Plester

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
needed to install directX 7.1a. Q3 works like a charm now - very speedy little card and it overclocks like a mutha. looking forward to UT.

definitely no likey the overclocked AGP bus tho.