Any on here bartend?

robothouse77

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2005
I'm thinking about taking a bartending college course. Kinda want to do bartending as a side. anyone have any experience? tips on getting a good bartending job?

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
College course for bartending!?! AWESOME :D Do they teach you how to mix drinks also? I always wanted to get wasted at school, now I can :p

robothouse77

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: rbloedow
College course for bartending!?! AWESOME :D Do they teach you how to mix drinks also? I always wanted to get wasted at school, now I can :p

well, no, sorry let me re-phrase that. a college specifically for bartending.

NathanBWF

Golden Member
May 29, 2003
Taking a course we be a good start but bartending is just one of those things you just have to do to get good at. Nothing beats experience.

I used to bartend and it was easily the most fun job I ever had. Then I decided to go into IT. I think I must have been drunk at the time. Anyway, I'm thinking of trying to get on part-time again as it is a good way to make a lot of $$$ (tips) and you don't have to work that many hours a week...

robothouse77

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: NathanBWF
Taking a course we be a good start but bartending is just one of those things you just have to do to get good at. Nothing beats experience.

I used to bartend and it was easily the most fun job I ever had. Then I decided to go into IT. I think I must have been drunk at the time. Anyway, I'm thinking of trying to get on part-time again as it is a good way to make a lot of $$$ (tips) and you don't have to work that many hours a week...

did you have to share your tips? or report them as income?

did you start out bartending? or did you start out as a server?

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
ive got a friend at school who bartends at a localish club, says she loves doing it. The other day she got asked her favorite drink, and she spit out this long winded recipe, needless to say we all dropped our jaws :D she says she knows just about everything.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
you should search the forums at webtender.com

but the consensus says that bartending school is a waste. it's nice if you go, but odds are you'll still have to start as a barback first and pay your dues, so to speak, until you become a full fledged bartender

robothouse77

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
you should search the forums at webtender.com

but the consensus says that bartending school is a waste. it's nice if you go, but odds are you'll still have to start as a barback first and pay your dues, so to speak, until you become a full fledged bartender

hmm, yeah, i figured that most have to start as a barback. dang

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
i would save your money on the class. Goto barnes and noble and get a pocket cocktail guide.

Get a job at a local dive on like a wednesday night just to learn the ropes

when you have some experience get in at a more popular place.

the class means nothing its all about the experience.

NathanBWF

Golden Member
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: robothouse77
Originally posted by: NathanBWF

did you have to share your tips? or report them as income?

did you start out bartending? or did you start out as a server?

No I didn't have to share my tips, actually all the bars I worked at the waitresses actually tipped out the bartenders 10% at the end of their shifts.

Did I report it...er...um....yeah..sure. :D

And I actually started out in an offsale. They had an open bartender position and asked if I would be interested which I was naturally. The rest is history.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I did it for a couple of summers during college. It can be a good job in the right situation and a real drag in the wrong one. It all depends on where you work. Get a busy bar with lots of hot girls you'll have a lot of guys buying drinks and tipping big to impress them. Get stuck in a bowling alley during ladies night and you'll make jack. About the only way to get a good gig in a place where you can make a lot of money is through connections. You're not going to find a job like that through the want ads.

TomRakewell

Apr 12, 2005
A lot of laypeople like to toss it out like anyone can walk in and get an easy $200/night gig, but just getting your foot in the door is incredibly difficult without nepotism, breasts, or prior experience. I've spent the past few weeks hitting the pavement, trying to find connections, responding to ads, etc, and after applying to several dozen places I'm considering myself lucky to be interviewing for a part time bussing job tomorrow in the hopes that I might be allowed to work up to bartending on off nights 6 months down the line. This is speaking as someone with genuine interest in the job more than a mere interest in easy tips and as someone who has no issue with starting as a barback and working up (apparently there's enough demand that people expect experience for barback positions too now; those aren't jobs just anyone can get either). Maybe I'm just in the wrong place/time, but you need to know someone on the inside to get started, otherwise you have to go through a lot of trouble just to get an entry level job that might put you on the trek to becoming a bartender.

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
Bartending course is a waste of time unless you are just completely clueless.

I was a bartender off and on for ~8 years. I started as a bouncer/ fill in DJ and got to know the crowd/ employees. Some girl quit and they offered me a position working happy hour. In a couple of weeks they moved me to nights.