any of you nerds into fishing (rod recs) ?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Any y'all into fishing who can give me a recommendation for a good quality-price rod that can help me cast far for shore fishing?

Looks like sadly i'll be headed out to Croatia, not Thailand, this november, which means cold, horrible weather and a lot of shore fishing.
Unfortunately the shore there is rocky AF and the first 30-odd feet are really shallow.
Also, i'm a terrible caster.

I'm looking for recs on a rod that will allow a complete nab like me to cast a little farther than your typical amazon tele rod.

Croatian shore fish are rarely over a pound.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Sounds like panfish style, but if you go superlight, the rod will be shorter and lighter, with a less-firm feel to the end of the rod.

You might want to consider a medium-weight rod as opposed to lightweight or flyweight, to be able to get a better casting distance with it.

Not sure about specific brands, it's been years since I purchased one, but I had a few Shakespeare Ugly-Stiks back in the day as "beater rods" for pier fishing, as opposed to my single expensive G-Loomis rod for actual boat panfishing.

Here's a general idea/offering: Ugly-Stik GX2 baitcast combo

I actually prefer open-type spinning reels as opposed to baitcast or spincast closed-type, but that's just my personal preference. If you don't need a reel to go with it, that rod is a good example of what I meant by a medium-action.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Another vote for the Ugly stick and some spinning tackle here. Shimano makes some decent mid range stuff. I like Diawa, Penn for the big stuff. Get an extra spool, take extra line. For stuff that small you shouldn't need to go beyond 6 or 8lb test. All rocks no weeds? Casting distance is a sum of many parts. Rod flexibility, your skill level, wind, weight of lure, test of line. Going down to 4lb test on one of my bass setups immediately adds another 20-30ft of reach everything else being the same.

If you really suck at casting, get an outrigger clip and a kite. Let the wind cover that distance for you. Harder to do when not in a boat, but still possible. How bad you want to catch these fish?

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Surf rod in the 4.5m range
I thought about recommending a surf/pier rod for the two-hand grip, figuring maybe it'd help for casting distance, I only withheld it due to the size of the fish he's looking to catch being so tiny. Could still work though, I just thought it might be overkill.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I thought about recommending a surf/pier rod for the two-hand grip, figuring maybe it'd help for casting distance, I only withheld it due to the size of the fish he's looking to catch being so tiny. Could still work though, I just thought it might be overkill.

given the distances involved and environment you want the longer rod. even if it is a smaller fish it would be lots of fun.
Carbon fiber rods are so cheap out of China now. Op can order from AliExpress and get it before his trip.

Stick to the spinning reel.

<--- got dragged along to fishing a lot by my dad who is a fanatic. he has even flawn to Costa Rica to fish...

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
You lead an interesting life.
i hope this wasn't meant for me. My life is practically made of boring.

Now, i don't want to start a flame war, and i'm saying this because i am worried that it's gonna happen, VERY touchy subject.

Casters vs spinners. i.e. reel on top (caster) vs reel on bottom (spinner).
My previous noob fishing experience was with a really cheap 2m spinner rod and i would flip it upside down to cast with it. See, the thing that really annoys me is that i am *just that much* away from MASSIVE fish, but can't get to it.
A boat or even a dinghy is out of the question, i've begged for it before. I've even looked up videos on youtube of people making rafts out of office water bottles.

So casting a bit farther can be a big change, from tiny barely edible fish to big chonks. I still won't get the superhuman megachonks that the other croatians take in, but at least they should put up a fight.
I'm open to the idea of a casting rod, and frankly if i'm that much of a noob, i might as well start learning with the good gear. BUT THEN AGAIN a spinner rod is absolutely fine.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Get a pair of waders.

edit: nevermind, you already stated it was "rocky af", so I don't know that you are able to get to (and into) the shallow water.

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I could be wrong, but I thought at some point in recent past, you were living in South America? And now you're heading to Croatia (instead of Thailand)? Listen, buddy, I spent the past two decades surrounded by people who barely leave their own state, let alone country :p

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Now, i don't want to start a flame war, and i'm saying this because i am worried that it's gonna happen, VERY touchy subject.

Casters vs spinners. i.e. reel on top (caster) vs reel on bottom (spinner).
My previous noob fishing experience was with a really cheap 2m spinner rod and i would flip it upside down to cast with it. See, the thing that really annoys me is that i am *just that much* away from MASSIVE fish, but can't get to it.
A boat or even a dinghy is out of the question, i've begged for it before. I've even looked up videos on youtube of people making rafts out of office water bottles.

So casting a bit farther can be a big change, from tiny barely edible fish to big chonks. I still won't get the superhuman megachonks that the other croatians take in, but at least they should put up a fight.
I'm open to the idea of a casting rod, and frankly if i'm that much of a noob, i might as well start learning with the good gear. BUT THEN AGAIN a spinner rod is absolutely fine.
Spinner is pretty easy. Just watch some video on casting.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I could be wrong, but I thought at some point in recent past, you were living in South America? And now you're heading to Croatia (instead of Thailand)? Listen, buddy, I spent the past two decades surrounded by people who barely leave their own state, let alone country :p

He went to vacation in Buenos Aires but got stuck due to covid lol.

I however lived there for 7.5 years.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
at this time the top spot contender is this cheap combo from amazon:

Sougayilang 9f telescoping rod/reel combo.
1300 ratings and damn near 5/5*

sells for $93

otherwise this Piscifun casting reel: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07149KWVR/
on this Shakespeare: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shakespeare-Unisexs-3-Piece-Caster-Rod-Grey/dp/B0198JDJ8I/

$185 combo.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i have decided and i am now the proud owner of a 13ft Shakespeare Sigma Supra, 3-piece beach casting rod (apparently they make a ton of visually diverse rods under the same model name), and Piscifun Torrent baitcasting reel.
$160 for both.

i won't get to use it for a while, but i might sneak into the next door park at night to practice casting.

Reactions: Pohemi

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
i have decided and i am now the proud owner of a 13ft Shakespeare Sigma Supra, 3-piece beach casting rod (apparently they make a ton of visually diverse rods under the same model name), and Piscifun Torrent baitcasting reel.
$160 for both.

i won't get to use it for a while, but i might sneak into the next door park at night to practice casting.

Surf fishing can be great. Usually the winds are coming off the water making backlashes more of a problem with baitcasting reels. Maybe practice into the wind.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
actually, i'm lucky there, because i will be fishing in a strait that has an island right in front, so the wind isn't as strong as you'd get in the ocean.

I've never used a baitcaster before so i expect much tangling but hey, you gotta learn somehow, right?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Lol have fun fixing tangles with baitcasters. I learned to fish with a spoke type reel. It is literally a wheel with spokes and bearing. No gears handles pr anything. Basically fly fishing reel but without the handle.

Last edited:

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
actually, i'm lucky there, because i will be fishing in a strait that has an island right in front, so the wind isn't as strong as you'd get in the ocean.

I've never used a baitcaster before so i expect much tangling but hey, you gotta learn somehow, right?

The right line helps, but not as much as practice. Good luck and have fun.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
For traveling get a tele w/ a big spinning with braid lines, some heavy weights and/or float, some steel leader and bigger hooks. 30ft is no concern.