Any of you hippies protest at Wall Street?

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Look into it... here in WI we have teachers double diping all the time. They retire at 55 or after 20yrs in then get their jobs back at the same pay and no one has a chance at the job... sick as hell and I have seen it.

The few often ruin it for the many.

In NJ, they have people here that get rather weird "city jobs" for 20-25 years that involve going to a meeting once a month ($2500/yr).

Then, in the last two years before they "retire" they invent a position like "Chief Garbage Organizer" and salary them at $100K.

The way the pension plans work for public employee is that they get the average of their salary, times a certain % depending on how many years they spent on the job. So these guys with 30 years of service get 60% of their salary (or thereabouts) for the last 2 years of service.

They will get $60K/yr for doing nothing for 30 years. (Figure it out, even if they did 100% of their worth for the salary paid, and paid 10% into the pension plan, the money they put in = (28x2500 + 2*100,000)*10% = $27K

They will blow their equity in less than 6 months.

THAT is what ruins it for the teachers and cops. The few with friends in the government that "pay their debts" using taxpayers $$ rather than their own.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
I suppose those in Rome are hippies too?

No, they are a violent Anarchistic movement that has nothing to do with the protest. Only Fox News has said that they are related in more than being in the same place at the same time.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Um, nope.

Troll101.

They dress like hippies
They sing like hippies
They bang drums like hippies
They play guitars like hippies
They smell like hippies
They protest "the man" like hippies
They believe in communal living where everybody is literally equal
And finally, they get pepper sprayed like hippies

They are hippies.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
They dress like hippies
They sing like hippies
They smell like hippies

They are hippies.

You have not been to NYC, have you.

Troll102

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
No, I understand. It is pulling a card that works as a trump in most political debates.

Like saying your mom died in a "yo momma" contest.

thing is, it does not fit here, so no matter how you couch it, it just don't hold salt.

I don't even remember what brought it up nor do I care. :) This is definitely not a political debate between you and I though. Your mamma is so fat, when she wears red, children yell "kool-aid"

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
They dress like hippies
They sing like hippies
They smell like hippies

They are hippies.

Well, in NYC they are called "hipster douche-bags" but yeah, pretty accurate, except not enough are getting pepper-sprayed imo.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
I don't even remember what brought it up nor do I care. :) This is definitely not a political debate between you and I though. Your mamma is so fat, when she wears red, children yell "kool-aid"

Actually, no, but thanks for trying.

/me hands TallBill a case of Turtle Wax.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Go to Williamsburg, it's crawling with these neo-hippy hipster idiots. Funny, for people so hard up for work rents are generally more in Williamsburg than most of Manhattan.

Difference is, Manhattan is MUCH larger. People seem to site this, but do not realize that rents STAY high until you are significantly away from the city. It makes for tough commutes for the bus boys and minimum wagers in the city and no pleasant thing for most middle class people unable to afford $2500/mo in rent for 800sf.

As for Williamsburg protesters, I have not paid much attention. I have been wathching mostly where it started, NYC. And MANY have come out, not just "hippies". Many unions, out of work middle class people with VIABLE degrees (not "flower appreciation"), parents and grandparents as well.

Those that resort to broad-stroking them with terms like "Hippies" are just avoiding the issues.

The MAIN issue being money = election. Your "representatives" no longer represent YOU, they rep who paid to get them in. If you are LUCKY, whoever bought them their office is someone you can relate to, but chances are at least one, if not more of the vested interests will be something you will not benefit from when they influence legislation.

So all those calling for "make a point" are rather pointless. The only point that should be made is that Wall Street (corporate America) is not who we elected, but why do they get to make so many of the rules?

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Difference is, Manhattan is MUCH larger. People seem to site this, but do not realize that rents STAY high until you are significantly away from the city. It makes for tough commutes for the bus boys and minimum wagers in the city and no pleasant thing for most middle class people unable to afford $2500/mo in rent for 800sf.

No they don't. Williamsburg and DUMBO have the highest rents in Brooklyn but there's plenty of places close enough with sub-Manhattan rents. It's just that Williamsburg and DUMBO are trendy these days.

As for Williamsburg protesters, I have not paid much attention. I have been wathching mostly where it started, NYC. And MANY have come out, not just "hippies". Many unions, out of work middle class people with VIABLE degrees (not "flower appreciation"), parents and grandparents as well.

You do realize that a large percentage of the people down in Zucotti are from out of town.

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
More importantly, which of you fingermen are going to go down there and point at the people getting taken in by the cops as you laugh; "haw, haw"?

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
No they don't. Williamsburg and DUMBO have the highest rents in Brooklyn but there's plenty of places close enough with sub-Manhattan rents. It's just that Williamsburg and DUMBO are trendy these days.

Is that near DoWiSeTrePla?

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005
SNIP...

The MAIN issue being money = election. Your "representatives" no longer represent YOU, they rep who paid to get them in. If you are LUCKY, whoever bought them their office is someone you can relate to, but chances are at least one, if not more of the vested interests will be something you will not benefit from when they influence legislation.

So all those calling for "make a point" are rather pointless. The only point that should be made is that Wall Street (corporate America) is not who we elected, but why do they get to make so many of the rules?

Here in California, it's the Unions who own our representatives, yet nobody seems to be protesting them.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005

I thought you were referencing PA.... ;)

You do realize that a large percentage of the people down in Zucotti are from out of town.

If you say that Brooklyn is OOT... well..... How long you been in NYC?

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
There's this little organization called the US Army that begs to differ.

Grab a flight and take a car.

Are you saying that the US has the ENTIRE country under lock and key and nobody can get in or out w/o permission?

Hmmm.....

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Grab a flight and take a car.

Are you saying that the US has the ENTIRE country under lock and key and nobody can get in or out w/o permission?

Hmmm.....

No, I'm saying that the Army wouldn't let me go. And I can't imagine a stupider place to go AWOL than a country with 100,000 US troops in it. Did you not see the photos from Afghanistan I posted earlier in the thread? Are you just terribly confused?