Any of you hippies protest at Wall Street?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Anybody who just writes off the protests and thinks everything is ok in america is simply a fucking idiot.

There's really no other way to put it. You're a fucking idiot. If you think that our country is doing great, and that people on wallstreet aren't looting peoples 401k's every day, you're a fucking idiot.

Sorry, but I really feel the need to stress that if those are your views, that you're a fucking idiot.

Get a haircut, hippie.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Anybody who just writes off the protests and thinks everything is ok in america is simply a fucking idiot.

There's really no other way to put it. You're a fucking idiot. If you think that our country is doing great, and that people on wallstreet aren't looting peoples 401k's every day, you're a fucking idiot.

Sorry, but I really feel the need to stress that if those are your views, that you're a fucking idiot.

I can't take the majority of them seriously because their answer is MOAR GOVERNMENT! Explain to me how that is going to help anything, when our Federal Government is a huge reason things are so fucked in this country.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I guess I'm a fucking idiot. I see the protesters outside the Chicago Federal Reserve on days that I work and laugh every time.

1. Shit isn't going to change because they are out there.
2. They'll still be unemployed tomorrow. Go job search. I know its tough, but your efforts will be better spent trying to actually get employed.

There are "Blow 1929 out of the water" levels of prolonged unemployment in this economy right now if I had to guess, if you HAVE been job searching for 80 weeks, what is 1 day of protest?

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/03/average-length-of-unemployment-at-all-time-high/

The hardest hit is probably also the age group here in ATOT that mostly don't vote, don't write congress, don't vote with their feet and wallets, and just sheeple their parents opinions even if it doesn't serve them.

Last edited:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
There are "Blow 1929 out of the water" levels of prolonged unemployment in this economy right now if I had to guess, if you HAVE been job searching for 80 weeks, what is 1 day of protest?

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/03/average-length-of-unemployment-at-all-time-high/

true true, but how many people have been truly trying to find work for 80 weeks and not found any? are they looking at EVERY job available to them or just the ones they want? I'm pretty sure you could find a job, even a minimum wage job, doing something somewhere. Hell, are they calling the maid service companies to go clean houses for people? How about gardeners? They could go grab a lawn mower and a trimmer off craigslist for 100 bucks and start their own company. Oh I guess those jobs won't do though because those are "Mexican" jobs. lol

also, I do realize there are people who are legitimately not able to find work, but tbh it seems like the majority don't want to work, they want to do something they like and get paid a lot of money for it.

Last edited:

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

The hardest hit is probably also the age group here in ATOT that mostly don't vote, don't write congress, don't vote with their feet and wallets, and just sheeple their parents opinions even if it doesn't serve them.

Your post is retarded. You defend the protesters and then say that the hardest hit are not doing anything about it...

Scanning craigslist and applying for jobs will yield much quicker and immediate life changing results than voting (especially in chicago, where elections are won by 20-40% landslides), writing letters, or voting with their feet as you say.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Scanning craigslist and applying for jobs will yield much quicker and immediate life changing results than voting (especially in chicago, where elections are won by 20-40% landslides), writing letters, or voting with their feet as you say.

:thumbsup:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
This kind of securitization is absolutely the right way to distribute and diversify the risk of default over a broad population. It was exactly this mechanism that allowed so many Americans who needed to borrow at decent rates to buy homes to live the American dream in the decades prior. If banks fucked it up in the 2000s and did too many shitty mortgages, THEY were the primary victims of their own poor decision making. Huge financial institutions were the ones on the other side of irresponsible borrowers defaulting, not the average Joe. I mean come on, which tranches of CMOs did you buy for your investments? You didn't.

Yes, they made mistakes. Yes, they were trying to make money when they made those mistakes. That doesn't mean the concept is wrong or that those mistakes were self serving. They were not. Wall street hired less and fired more people around the crisis than any time in the last two decades. It's not like a bunch of people lost jobs and failed to pay mortgages and therefore the financial sector magically receives a bunch of money.

EDIT: And last time I checked, mortgages don't start existing without borrowers agreeing to borrow. The lender doesn't just decide he wants to lend more and unilaterally start handing out money and demanding interest.

For the record, I think Wall Street can be as scummy as the next guy thinks. And there are a lot of aspects of Wall Street culture I've come across that I straight up hate. But your arguments against them don't seem to make that much sense. Otherwise I'd probably get on board.

During those years I was getting pre-approved offers from lenders for loans in the hundreds of thousands of dollars practically every single day. They were practically begging me to borrow money against my house or to buy a bigger house.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Watching the news on this. A lot of the protesters have Macbook Pros or Airs and iPhone and/or other smartphones. I thought they were unemployed?

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
they are the 99%

Do the 5%'ers know about them?

The term Five Percent comes from NOI doctrine that sees the world population divided into three groups: 85% of the people are blind to the knowledge of themselves and God, while 10% of the people know the truth, but teach a lie for their personal gain; seen as part of this 10% are religious leaders that teach that God is an incorporeal being (hence the term mystery God). The 10% can also include the governments and corporations of the world that deceive and mislead the majority of the world through most of the available media outlets. The remaining 5% are the Poor Righteous Teachers—those who do not subscribe to the teachings of the 10%, as they know and teach that God is the Asiatic Blackman, which refers to the entire planet Earth or Pangea.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Watching the news on this. A lot of the protesters have Macbook Pros or Airs and iPhone and/or other smartphones. I thought they were unemployed?

It's all about necessity. When you're a brainless, debt-ridden dipshit, you need to spend money on popular and expensive things to feel important.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
All Mensa members I'm sure

screenshot20111004at638.png

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
1: Bad parents not taking care of their kid
2: Mining is dangerous, but criminal neglect and maleficence is something that may not lead to the CEO; given such a large company it may make a LOT of sense that the CEO did a great job while some ass-hat down below was cheating the books to make himself look better.
3: Why did they go into debt for a house that they built themselves? Maybe if she spent less than she earned and was responsible she'd have been OK. That said people who kill themselves are already broken, she could have just as well killed herself when they took golden-girls off of the rotation... Oh and her husband died, maybe THAT was the straw my friends?
4: Did the CEO sign off on the malfeasance? How does WS have anything to do with a poor financial choice on the part of the company? If anything the dangers of such problems are much more likely to keep people safe than the face-less government looking after such systems in places like Mexico.
5: "investor owned" as opposed to what? Government owned? NO, health outcomes in government facilities are horrendous.

Every one of these examples is an attempt to blame the wrong person in-order to argue for what? Hate is all I can see here, no vision for a better world, just hate and what? Directed at wall-street? Market efficient financial brokering had NOTHING to do with ANY of these; people being selfish sacks of shit did: something that wouldn't change under any other system, but may be much worse.

The real problem is what George is saying in the above: we need to deal with K street, not wall-street. We need to internalize costs, not mindlessly rail against people that help society. It's pure mindless drivel when you start looking to minimize costs for the most marginalized at the expense of the benefit of the vast majority. Your reality is so tainted by trivial emotions that you can't see the difference.

This isn't 99% vs the 1% this is the 10% somewhere in the middle that feel bad about the hardship of the bottom 1% but are happy to screw the top 99% so that 1% doesn't "suffer".

The real 99% is the top 99%; the people worth sympathy are the 1%: but they aren't worth so much sympathy that we should significantly hurt the lives of the other 99%.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Couple hundred far-left kids out of country of 300 million ... probably not gonna add up to 99%

Also local news human interest stories are the best thing to base policy on, amirite? Mandatory dentist visit, banning all mining and oil exploration, reverse mortgages and nursing homes is obviously the answer.

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Couple hundred far-left kids out of country of 300 million ... probably not gonna add up to 99%

Also local news human interest stories are the best thing to base policy on, amirite? Mandatory dentist visit, banning all mining and oil exploration, reverse mortgages and nursing homes is obviously the answer.

It certainly doesn't seem like it. And judging by the photos these people are pretty well dressed for being poor, unemployed, downtrodden proles.

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
During those years I was getting pre-approved offers from lenders for loans in the hundreds of thousands of dollars practically every single day. They were practically begging me to borrow money against my house or to buy a bigger house.

Me also:) Only thing is me and you don't have our head up our butts and think we can do it:awe: We know what we can do but the butt heads are costing us in the long run.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
<-- Image Designed To Pull At Heartstrings -->

What does any of that have to do with Wall Street?

Sounds like your beef is with Obama and the Democrats who had complete control of The House of Representatives, The United States Senate, and The White House for 2 years and didn't institute universal health care.

May 16, 2000
Not there since it's the other side of the country. I support a good portion of the protest, though the irony and stupidity of much of it is humorous as well. Being a staunch anti-corporatist who disagrees utterly with current economic policies I'll choose to overlook those things in order to support the general movement.

7window

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
Obama is not at fault here. He inherited this from the previous administration.

There is a lot of jobs out but there are alot of people looking and applying.

Money market and cd are safe but inflation and low interest rate will eat all of it in the long run. Sneaky