any of you guys' masochists?

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
eh...if you want it to go away, don't use salt. Clean it/rinse with Hydrogen Peroxide, and then use listerine. Feel the burn, but it goes away usually the next day.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
you can also try tea, make a very strong batch, like 7-10 bags for a cup and use that as a mouth wash....it will clear up with in 24-48 hours.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Ow, ow, ow. Enjoy.

I've gotten those damn things for years. The only thing that helps: time. About two weeks.
It can be something as mild as a potato chip abrading my tongue, or the inside of my mouth, and it'll open into a sore, sometimes nearly a quarter inch wide.

I've asked doctors, dentists, and an orthodontist about solutions. I've tried "home remedies," and some prescriptions. Nothing helped. They've gotten better over the years though. When I was in middle and high school, I'd rarely go a few days without one. At the worst, I had 7 at once. Now I might go a full week without one. I've heard theories about their cause ranging from a virus of some sort, to some kind of defensive enzyme deficiency in my saliva.

All I can really do is numb the pain away, and the best I can get is Orajel, 20% benzocaine. Sometimes it gets bad to the point that I'd just love a Novocaine shot so I could eat without the pain - 20% benzocaine just doesn't always do the trick. And I hate injections, just in my skin. I've never had one in my mouth.