Any noobies wanna play StarCraft: Brood War tomorrow (Saturday 2/27)?

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
I'm sure many of us are bummed that we're not in the SC 2 beta, and personally I'm not good at all at StarCraft, I was wondering if anyone (of the noobish skill level) wanted to play some Brood War tomorrow? I don't know if I've ever played BW online (I played the original SC a few times, don't think I ever won) but I'd love some practice in a friendly environment.

If you higher skill people if you wanted to join and give some tips/ideas you'd be more than welcome.

Figure if I can't play SC2 I might as well learn how to play the series correctly.

My wife will be gone all day tomorrow (Science Olympiad tournament, she's the team coach) so I can play any time. Anyone interested? And if so what times work best for you?

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
I'm always up for some SC, and I don't mind teaching newer players the game. I work all day tomorrow though, but I'm free Wednesdays through Fridays.

I watch professional matches pretty much everyday, last time I checked when the feature was still available on Youtube it was in the thousands, so I understand the competitive scene fairly well.

I will say this though, SC may be a "strategy" game, but it's not chess. To be competitive it requires insane amounts of dexterity, I'd say it's 90% dexterity and 10% strategy. It's not difficult to learn the basic strategies for each matchup, for the most part they all play out the same. You can learn the matchups in a few days, it takes months to develop the handspeed to apply it. You have to be very familiar with your keyboard and have a lot of time on your hands to practice, if you wanna be competitive anyways.

It's definitely worth taking a little time to learn the game either way, I think everyone should at least do that. Cause watching the Koreans play, at least for me personally, is more entertaining than football. The minimum time required for practice by most teams is 8 hours per day, but most of the kids play 12-15, something that's not really possible with more physical sports. They all display a true mastery of the game that makes it just nuts to watch.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
I'm always up for some SC, and I don't mind teaching newer players the game. I work all day tomorrow though, but I'm free Wednesdays through Fridays.

That'd be great! I'll definitely "bask in your knowledge" when we get a chance(s)!

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
i'm always up for playing any strategy game. just have to find where the heck my copy is...

can one buy it online anywhere for download?

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
But I want to play SC2. :(

I think maybe I cna play tomorrow. The main reason I don't play normal matches of SC anymore is because in the few matches that are available I get crushed. There's no matchmaking like in DoW2 to pair you with players of similar skill.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
i'm always up for playing any strategy game. just have to find where the heck my copy is...

can one buy it online anywhere for download?

$3.55 @ G2buy. I've never seen 'em before, it was in the Hot Deals forum on the [H] (I also have this same thread posted there BTW).

But I want to play SC2. :(

I think maybe I cna play tomorrow. The main reason I don't play normal matches of SC anymore is because in the few matches that are available I get crushed. There's no matchmaking like in DoW2 to pair you with players of similar skill.

Yeah, I wanna play SC2 as well, but until then we might as well get as close as we can!

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
I might give it a shot, even though I hate playing old games at crappy resolutions. Haven't played in so long so I'm sure I've reverted back to noob-ness.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
I would, but I have no idea where the hell my copy went. I don't usually lose things.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Not a problem.
I was competitive back in my day(circa 2004/5). I haven't really played ever since and I haven't really kept up with who the current pro's are.
Back in my day, I was following Pusan, NalRa, FisheYe, NaDa, Grrr, Foru and others.
Battle.net pubby games for me were nothing but a cakewalk. The Korean servers however, I got my ass spanked.

I'm not a member of [H], so make sure you post updates here too.
I play on USEast. Any idea of time tonight? I'm on EST time zone and I have to leave the house by 7:20am tomorrow so I can't stay up too late.
I'm playing Civ4 right now so I hope I don't forget to check back.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Not a problem.
I was competitive back in my day(circa 2004/5). I haven't really played ever since and I haven't really kept up with who the current pro's are.
Back in my day, I was following Pusan, NalRa, FisheYe, NaDa, Grrr, Foru and others.
Battle.net pubby games for me were nothing but a cakewalk. The Korean servers however, I got my ass spanked.

I'm not a member of [H], so make sure you post updates here too.
I play on USEast. Any idea of time tonight? I'm on EST time zone and I have to leave the house by 7:20am tomorrow so I can't stay up too late.
I'm playing Civ4 right now so I hope I don't forget to check back.

We're playing tomorrow, not today (Saturday the 27th). When do you get back tomorrow? We'd love to have you!

Thus far we've got several people from Hardforum who are interested, any more interest on here?

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
We're playing tomorrow, not today (Saturday the 27th). When do you get back tomorrow? We'd love to have you!

Thus far we've got several people from Hardforum who are interested, any more interest on here?

~12PM +/-1 hour.

Should I install Starcraft and start practicing?
Don't want to make myself look like an idiot. I don't think I even remember the hotkeys/build order.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I'd be down. someone message me on steam if they see me and have me on their friends list (Ika!) and if i forget to check back here.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
what time are we playing?

btw if anyone is having patching issues from the digital download on vista/win7, make sure to run the starcraft.exe file from program files directly, and right click> run as admin. should work then.

Last edited:

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Last Activity: Yesterday 08:04 PM
Fail. OP is a no show.

Last edited:

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
OP posted on hardforum...they were playing in the early afternoon. AT got left out :(

Anyone up for a game now?

Last edited:

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
I'm down to play tonight if anyone is gonna be up. Just got off work.

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
Now till whenever, I'm on USeast atm, channel op laz-guys

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2004
I have grown bored with SC already, it's nothing but a 'rines/hydras/zealot/dragoonfest.
SC2 will be the same, I will probably only play that for the story.