Any news on...

Narynan

Jul 9, 2008
I'm just keeping an eye forward towards the last day of my step-up program and was wondering if anyone had heard anything on dual versions of either of theses cards coming out. It would be a nice upgrade for the 150 bucks, but not necessary.

Anyone got any links talking about it or leads on the cards?

Pyrokinetic

Dec 4, 2005
I remember reading something that a GTX 200 series GX2 card would not be all that realistic because you are talking about a huge chip that is expensive to manufacture and an already complex multi-layered PCB. Nvidia could not compete cost-wise with a "GX2 260" versus a 4870 X2 without a die shrink first. The GTX 280 uses the same power connector requirements as an X2 to begin with, so a "GX2 280" would require some serious juice and may be impossible even with a die shrink given the thermal requirements.

So I think any talk of a GTX 200 dualie is premature and unrealistic until the GTX 200 architecture gets a 55nm shrink.

However, for the life of me I cannot remember where I read that. Sorry.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
If if were possible for nVidia at this time they would've done it already. The 9800 GX2 was much more plausable so they went that route and it competes well with the 4870 as it is.:)