Any news on 28nm shrink of Brazos/Zacate?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That should really be something, if they can scale the speed up, and/or at the same time scale the power consumption down.

I really hope that they are hard at work on this. I'll buy one.

My dream, is to have equivalent performance of a C2D 45nm chip at 2.5 or 3.0 (E5200), with a reasonably-decent IGP, for under 35W. Lower wattage being better.

Right now, I would say that Zacate is roughly equivalent in CPU power to a 1.0 or 1.2Ghz C2D chip.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
My dream, is to have equivalent performance of a C2D 45nm chip at 2.5 or 3.0 (E5200), with a reasonably-decent IGP, for under 35W. Lower wattage being better.

Maybe some company will toss one of the mobile versions of Llano onto an ITX motherboard? That would get you want you want.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Maybe some company will toss one of the mobile versions of Llano onto an ITX motherboard? That would get you want you want.

eventually when they have the true dual core llano out (insetad of the die harvested launch units) . even the die harvested ones probably woudl be pretty good with the new power gating (i'd figure it would really not power the dead parts)

it could probalby be pretty low power. the TDP will probalby say 65W or something, but in reality it will be much lower as TDP isnt really how much heat is output and just a guidline for a possible maximum heat output

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
That should really be something, if they can scale the speed up, and/or at the same time scale the power consumption down.

I really hope that they are hard at work on this. I'll buy one.

Right now, I would say that Zacate is roughly equivalent in CPU power to a 1.0 or 1.2Ghz C2D chip.

I own a C2D @ 1.5ghz that I clock down to 1ghz when its on battery, and while I haven't run any benchmarks, Zacate feels faster than that, at least the E-350.

I'm hoping they keep base clocks the same and offer some nice Turbo options (that are user adjustable to some degree, if only for power management) to boost ST performance. My C2D got ~ 12hrs+ battery life when it was new (dual battery bays + extended battery). Right now that is down to ~ 4ish. I'm hoping one of these newer CPUs will be able to get me 6 ~ 8 while also being light and cheap, two things my current laptop was not (and it still isn't light).

Xpage

Jun 22, 2005
www.riseofkingdoms.com
I enjoy my E-350 alot atm. Got it at 108 FSB so it's around 1700mhz, only thing is, the installs take forever (ie, windows) but that's to be expected compared to an i7 that I built. I think ti does it's job well as a HTPC, only issues is netflix HD but hopefully silverlight 5 using the GPU more will reduce any stutters I get even at 1700mhz, I think around 2ghz there wouldn't be any issues.

I am hoping the power usage would drop to 15W from 18W and the CPU clock would go from 1600mhz to 2000mhz, some extra GPU be nice, but I already have them put to 750mhz from their stock and i have no artifacts.

Faster memory support would be nice as that seems to be a bottleneck so I have read. If they can do those things on a dual core 28nm bobcat I think they'll seriously kick ass.

Total wattage form kill-a-watt meter form the wall says I draw 50W, with my HD, 120mm fan, and TV tuner card. Temps to get toasty around 65-70C when netflixing for a few hours even with the fan and reapplying thermal paste (else it'd be around 90-95C), so I hope lower thermals from 28nm would be better, maybe drop the temps 10-15C from what I have.

code65536

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2006

My Sandy Bridge Pentium G620T fits that description nicely. Well, the IGP part may be iffy, but it's good enough to play 1080p x264 and light games.

Oh, and at idle, its power draw is actually sliiightly lower than a 45nm Atom. (I'm guessing that Atom's lack of SpeedStep and aggressive power-gating disadvantages it in the idle department.)

Last edited: