Any new phones this quarter? vs. S3/Note II

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Zstream, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Zstream

Zstream Diamond Member

As the title states, are there any new phones coming in 2013 that will rival the Samsung Galaxy S3 or Note II? My contract is up and I'm debating on the Lumia 920 and the S3/Note II.

I just learned the Lumia 920 doesn't even have the lock orientation capability so that moves it down on the rankings. I'm on tech issues and conference calls at night and I can't stand the bouncing back and forth on my Lumia 900 (which can't be rooted/jailbroken).

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - phones quarter Note Forum Date
    Windows Phone is Officially Dead Mobile Devices & Gadgets Oct 10, 2017
    Android LG V10 pics/music from phone to PC Mobile Devices & Gadgets Oct 8, 2017
    "Free" data service to use phone as tracker Mobile Devices & Gadgets Oct 5, 2017
    Which of these two phones would you keep? Blu vs Samsung Mobile Devices & Gadgets Oct 4, 2017
    HTC posts yet another huge quarterly loss for Q3 2015 Mobile Devices & Gadgets Oct 6, 2015

3. NetGuySC

NetGuySC Golden Member

Rumor has it that The Note III (with a 6.3" screen and 8-core processor) may be released in June. I believe several other manufacturers are jumping on board the "Phablet" craze this year.

#2 NetGuySC, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  4. MrX8503

MrX8503 Diamond Member

There's the Droid DNA. It's a 2012 phone, but its brand new.

Other than that, 2013 should be a phablet frenzy. The 8-core from Samsung, I believe can only use 4 at any one time. The extra 4 is a fallback for efficiency.

5. Zstream

Zstream Diamond Member

Ack! 6.3 inches? That's way too big for a phone.

Oh, The Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note II have hardware encryption like the iPhone, right?

#4 Zstream, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  6. NetGuySC

NetGuySC Golden Member

They're saying that the Note III will be the same physical size as the Note II, basically the bezel will be removed so same sized phone but larger screen. These are just rumors so time will tell.
    I don't know about the encryption but it seems that Samsung tries to make their smartphones enterprise friendly, so I would bet so.

7. ImDonly1

ImDonly1 Platinum Member

Mobile world congress is next month I think. It is when everyone will annouhnce they flagship phone for the year. The galaxy s4, htc new phone, etc. they will probably be released unlocked in April or may.

Otherwise Sony Xperia z or droid DNA.

8. gorcorps

gorcorps aka Brandon

Really? Seems too soon to me... But maybe I just feel that way because I was looking at getting one just a month ago so it seemed new to me.

9. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

Galaxy S IV will not be announced at MWC.

10. ImDonly1

ImDonly1 Platinum Member

If not at mwc then it will be announced at a separate Samsung event 2-3 weeks later. That's how it usually is I think.

11. silverpig

silverpig Lifer

BB10 launches in just over a week.

12. ultimatebob

ultimatebob Lifer

Sure, but do you really think that's going to complete with the high end Samsung Android phones?

It's kind of like saying that Samsung should be afraid of the new $20 Nokia flip phones coming out this year.

13. s44

s44 Diamond Member

No chance.

The S4 will be midyear, Note 3 end of the year. As before. It lets Samsung have a spec-bumped product without outdating the recent flagship.

This quarter will bring more Optimus G-style quad-Kraits... carrier availability will be limited in the US though. It will probably be late Q2 before we see the quad A15 Tegra/Exynos designs.

No, Samsung's shifted to doing their own event *just* before launch... which is midyear, not MWC time.

MWC will bring yet another naming scheme from HTC, but no big Samsung stuff besides the Note 8.0.

14. epidemis

epidemis Senior member

15. BlakeBang

BlakeBang Member

I am not understanding where the trend of bigger screen is leading us. Now that hardware specifications are getting irrelevant with all brand offering similar hardware, screen size is the game changer.

Samsung is building bigger and bigger screen with each new launch. Where is this leading us?

Bigger is better? Samsung is getting inspired by Tera Patrick

16. zerogear

zerogear Diamond Member

I think Samsung is trying to find a point where people will still buy a device vs being too big.

17. silverpig

silverpig Lifer

Yep I do. And no it isn't.

Check out some of the latest usage videos.

18. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Phones have been diminutive for years and years because for the longest time the most important and used feature that they did was make phone calls. Today that's no longer the case. These are hand held computers now and they do a hell of a lot more. Those tiny iPhone 4 sized screens limit everything else you can do with a smartphone, hence the realization and push towards bigger screens (and the millions upon millions of people who want and buy them).

That's one reason anyway.

19. Yongsta

Yongsta Senior member

This will be the game changer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJehexDPEsE

Foldable OLED, small screen that can unfold to a larger screen (phone + tablet in one).

20. TuxDave

TuxDave Lifer

lol that was my theory for a while now. It's too hard to figure out the optimal size so we should just creep up every year until sales plummets, then go back a step. :)

21. biostud

biostud Lifer

They just need a phone in each size segment.

There should be a major update on win8 during feb., so maybe it'll bring some of the features you're missing.

22. IHateMyJob2004

#21 IHateMyJob2004, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  23. IHateMyJob2004

Have you bothered with researching the BB10? Probably not. BB10 is hands and above better than iOS and Android. And most popular apps will be on BB10.

Having actually read about BB10, I can't wait to trade in my Android phone for it.

But go do some research and be open minded.

24. smitbret

smitbret Diamond Member

Another guy that says it may be worth waiting 1 more week to see what BB 10 is gonna bring to the table.

25. IHateMyJob2004

Good to see some open minded people here. Very excited for BB10. Admittedly, if it isn't what I thought it was, I'll probably get an Android. But BB10 as an OS just looks way better than anything Apple, Microsoft or Google has available. BB10 might require you loose 1 out of 5 "popular" apps but all of the ones I loose have equivalents available. It will also be nice to have a good web browser on my phone for once (Android sucks and I can't get the chrome browser because my phone OS version is to old). Atleast I don't have to worry about getting locked out of new software because I upgrade my OS. Geesh.

#24 IHateMyJob2004, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  26. Zstream

Zstream Diamond Member

As long as the BB10 can use activesync and is hardware encrypted, I'm fine.