Any new free multiplayer games that are worth a look?

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I've been desperately needing a new game to play on the PC. There are hundreds of free MMO games out there and I'm sure new ones coming out every month. Most of them are pretty much the same. I like free games. If I don't like em, I just delete em and then nothing lost. Anything newish out there that looks promising or that you have played and recommend?

Sorry to ask but I'm desperate :| Thanks!

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I am assuming you have tried all the recent ones?

mechwarrior is not to bad a Team FPS, has a good feel and seems to play ok

Firefall is currently my favorite, how long, who knows, but its pretty good MMO FPS RPG ish thing.

The new AD&D (neverwinter nights?) is pretty fast paced, but more of the same, fun ofr a few days.

PlanetSide 2 is fun shooter.. ends up bing sniper heaven after awhile, but not a bad game.

me I just grab um all, try um and enjoy most for a week or two.. and move on.. Nothing will ever replicate "your first" mine was Everquest (many muds and UO before it.. but the 3D hooked me) been trying to get that "feeling" again.. but no luck..

Path Of Exile would be my recommendation for FREE but its not new..And its just Diablo II ++

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I play Planetside 2 a ton. I don't agree at all with the above comment about it being a sniper heaven. I've put 300 hours into the game and snipers are not an issue.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
You've tried these?

Marvel Heroes
DC Universe Online
Star Wars TOR
Star Trek Online
Neverwinter
Dungeons & Dragons Online
Lord of the Rings Online

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Have you tried Warframe? It's a cooperative F2P third-person-shooter and slasher that's supposedly really good, although I haven't tried it for myself yet.

Tribes: Ascend is also really fun. I still boot it up every now and then and have a good time with it, although I think the game's always had some balance problems. It's a class-based FPS with a "skiing" mechanic and a jetpack, and you get into intense chases at hundreds of miles per hour.

If you want a more simple, CoD-style close-quarters shooter, Blacklight Retribution is really good.

These games are all on Steam by the way.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
Been playing World of Tanks and League of Legends here. Both solid and F2P. Also done some MWO and need to give Planetside 2 another go around.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Another vote for Path of Exile. Totally free-you can pay for stuff (to help fund development, it's still in beta) but you are buying cosmetic stuff only. Very much a Diablo clone (exactly what I was looking for). Also, from what I understand makes it almost unique, the on-line community is almost all very friendly and helpful. Also the developer is constantly running special limited time games-think one hour ironman.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Another vote for PS2 here. There's just so many different things to do in it. From sniper, to dedicated tanker, to heavy assault, and now dedicated ESF pilot, I can't seem to really ever get bored of this game (over 500 hours played since release).

I also put over 100 hours into Tribes Ascend (I loved CTF), but since PS2 was released, haven't really been on since.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
PS2 just feels so epic when you're in a platoon that's organized and you see 20-40 tanks rolling into battle and the infantry running in, repairs/healing, laying down turrets, etc. While you have a "pay to play" opportunity with weapons, there's no distinct advantage - what does provide an advantage is done through acquiring cert points.

Clemenza

Oct 12, 2010
I'm interested in trying out Firefall. Does anyone happen to have an extra beta key?

Clemenza

Oct 12, 2010
Cool, thanks! I was trying to look on my phone but my service was failing.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Was kinda thinking i'd avoid first person shooters but I will give firefall a try tomorrow.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Path and Planetside both sucked imo, the one free game that's kept me coming back time and again for a few years now is Bloodline Champions. It's basically a MOBA but skips all the tiresome faux PvM and levelling and centers the game entirely around, well, gameplay and combat.

Unfortunately the playerbase has never been that huge, but an interesting benefit of that is you play with the same people a lot which is actually a plus for the social side of things and kind of fosters rivalries/friendships. Also it includes a conquest and ctf mode but it can be hard to get enough players together for it, but they're great if you get in, learning to play your/a class in both an arena and an objective setting is a pretty interesting dynamic.

Ultimately it's well balanced, fluid and each class is unique but also very intuitive because of the intelligent way they've designed abilities and keybindings. The game features a lot of really fresh ideas imo; a healing cap, enforced round timers, energy management via "Ex" ('charged' abilities) or saving for your 'ulti', trances, and the ability to cast certain shields/escapes on your own teammates. And everything is a skillshot, there are no gimmes.

Last edited:

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I know it's another month until EQ Next's unveil on Aug 2nd, but it did garner awards from mmorpg.com and tentonhammer.com as the best mmo game of E3 even if both websites were under NDA and couldn't reveal details.

Clemenza

Oct 12, 2010
I was able to play Firefall for a little bit last night. Other than not knowing whats going on and trying to learn mechanics, I had a good time with it. I'll most likely keep playing it for a bit.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I know it's another month until EQ Next's unveil on Aug 2nd, but it did garner awards from mmorpg.com and tentonhammer.com as the best mmo game of E3 even if both websites were under NDA and couldn't reveal details.

That's definitely piqued my interest. I wonder what they have up their sleeves that impressed these guys so much? August 2nd needs to hurry up.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Firefall is definitely a complicated game. Haven't got to a fun part yet. Hopefully there is some fun to be had in the game :p

Clemenza

Oct 12, 2010
Firefall is definitely a complicated game. Haven't got to a fun part yet. Hopefully there is some fun to be had in the game :p

I was able to play a little last night but with the Garage being down, I wasn't actually able to upgrade any of my frames. I didn't get a good feel of anything but "thumping."

I also did PvP for about and hour. It felt like a mix of unreal and TF2 for me. I'm not sure what to make of it really because since I was unable to upgrade anything I felt at a disadvantage to the people who had been playing awhile.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Got firefall installed last night. Hopefully the PvE side of it won't get too stale too fast, but it looks like it's really just filler for what is inherently a new incarnation of "Tribes".

Here I was hoping for something to replace Tabula Rasa, which despite its issues, actually had an okay story to match "different" gameplay.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I play Planetside 2 a ton. I don't agree at all with the above comment about it being a sniper heaven. I've put 300 hours into the game and snipers are not an issue.

I know i only have about 200 hours in.. but logging stats (just my games) 52% of all kills are sniper.. maybe Im just unluckily and where i login and the battle that's taking place.

but if you go to any of the PS2 stat pages.. (here is just one) P2-stats

weapons used 57,800 top sniper
next weapon( top assault) 19,800

but that is just top used, if you add all 3 sniper (races) to top 3 assault (races) its about the same. (the other classes are considerably less played from stats)

sniper 162,000
assult 47,000

then take top players, of the top 10, only 1 uses anything but sniper.. one has the most kills with a Lightning.

its just true, snipers are used 3 to 1 on average.. nothing wrong with that..I was just pointing it out. I prefer more one on one. Planteside is a pretty nice game and nothing wrong with enjoying it. I found it full of more snipers then most mutliplayer Online games (except TF2 on any map with open spaces), and yes.. i die alot to them as i play medic most often.. so i pointed it out, and yes wont deny, dont care for it.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Depends on how you play. For me they aren't worth it.

I only play private servers of MMOs now. Too many MMOs are based on instances, farming, and have the PVP aspect take a backseat because "I just wanna farm I don't wanna be killed!" so I find most MMOs boring now.