Any nespresso owners here?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
You can pretend to be coffee snob but until you start sourcing and roasting your own beans, you're not a true snob. And using popcorn popper doesn't count.

There are several excellent coffee roasters nearby I can order from so why would I roast my own?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
There are several excellent coffee roasters nearby I can order from so why would I roast my own?

Because then you control the process. That's like saying there are several excellent coffee shops nearby I can order from so why would I make my own coffee or espresso. If you're going to be a snob, do it right.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
They just sent me a 40% off coupon for machines direct from their site if anyone wants to try it.

Mar 15, 2003
If you enjoy swill, then the Nespresso is the device for you.

Received my prodigio last night (woaw, amazon same day shipping) and I guess I'm a simpleton swill lover! I get being enthusiast but I'm not there yet, so this $79 machine's perfect. The coffee's much deeper and more robust than my old Keurig, reminding me of non-starbucks coffee houses.. Have yet to try espresso, the lungo (large) cup was surely better than expected. No regrets. I dig the hot water only function - will make french pressing easier for when we have time. Getting a refillable pod too - $15 for 5 aint bad, I can preload them for busy mornings.

The smart features are kinda silly because brewings so fast that I don't really need to preplan, but being able to turn it on from bed's a cute feature

Nov 8, 2012
I have this espresso machine:

cuis.jpg

I'm not a coffee person except for an occasional starbucks - but my wife uses it daily. I find it to be a pain in the ass every day to clean it out, wash the parts, put the next batch in and mash it, etc... That along with refilling the water as well.

Coffee pots were so much easier. Take the filter out, throw it in the trash, put in a new filter and toss in 3 scoops of coffee grounds. Press on. Fin.

This whole fascination with pods is fucking disturbing. You turned a cheap ass product into a fucking expensive one with reoccuring fees due to the obscene costs of pods. You claim it's for convenience, yet I find it takes a lot longer, and requires more maintenance.

Mar 15, 2003
This whole fascination with pods is fucking disturbing. You turned a cheap ass product into a fucking expensive one with reoccuring fees due to the obscene costs of pods. You claim it's for convenience, yet I find it takes a lot longer, and requires more maintenance.

Different people, different needs. I find brewing a pot of coffee wasteful when I only need a cup, the pods are recyclable, and refills negate that concern while still delivering the cup at a time pace I prefer. The cost is something that I don't consider obscene, I went with the originalline for this reason (generics are close to 50 cents a pop, and solid refillable options exist).

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
So thanks to this thread I resurrected my nespresso machine. I bought some pods off of ebay from a 3rd party that is compatible with nespresso.

Yes, it is significantly better than Aeropress. Interesting thing I noticed is that I seem to get more of a clean buzz from the nespresso machine compared to the aeropress. It's a different feeling.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
I have this espresso machine:

cuis.jpg

I'm not a coffee person except for an occasional starbucks - but my wife uses it daily. I find it to be a pain in the ass every day to clean it out, wash the parts, put the next batch in and mash it, etc... That along with refilling the water as well.

Coffee pots were so much easier. Take the filter out, throw it in the trash, put in a new filter and toss in 3 scoops of coffee grounds. Press on. Fin.

Kinda sorta.

The keurig pods are stupid and wasteful, I agree.

The nespresso machine actually deforms the pod while making the coffee and this process is part of what makes the machine so good and for the relatively low price it is. I mean, Nespresso coffee is roughly about as good as what you're getting from Starbucks IMO. It won't be as good as the true artisans, but whatever. And I bought my machine for like $80 and the pods are 50 cents each.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I was looking into options for "single serve" coffee... ended up just going with a regular peculator, just don't put as much water and it kinda works ok as single serve. Easy to clean, just rinse out the pot, and trow out the filter.

I try to avoid Nestlee products, they have this hell bent mission to drain all our lakes and the CEO thinks water should not be a human right, but a commodity like oil. I sure as hell won't support such a company.

Mar 15, 2003
The nespresso was getting expensive so I picked up a bonavita coffee maker. a cup of coffee with a shot from the nespresso = heaven, i shit you not

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I've only had the Virtuo Line of pods. The machine retailed at around $1300 and the pods go for $1.10 each... They were complimentary at a boutique hotel I stayed in a few years back. The quality of the espresso is why I know the prices...I considered getting one after trying it. It makes Keurig look like the crap it is... I didn't taste that plastic flavor and couldn't tell it was pod coffee.

I recommend a 6-cup Bialetti pot for simplicity. I just got one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Original-Bia...=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=italy+coffee+betilli&th=1

The bottom has a alumium basket for coffee. There's a fine screen that separates the bottom from the top and a long condenser tube that the espresso comes out once the bottom portion boils and pressurizes. It's best not to use a fine-ground coffee, but decent coffee can make great espresso with this maker...it doesn't have to be anything too expensive.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
I've only had the Virtuo Line of pods. The machine retailed at around $1300 and the pods go for $1.10 each... They were complimentary at a boutique hotel I stayed in a few years back. The quality of the espresso is why I know the prices...I considered getting one after trying it. It makes Keurig look like the crap it is... I didn't taste that plastic flavor and couldn't tell it was pod coffee.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Bialetti-Stovetop-Espresso-Patented/dp/B000CNY6UK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489515600&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=italy+coffee+betilli&th=1

The bottom has a alumium basket for coffee. There's a fine screen that separates the bottom from the top and a long condenser tube that the espresso comes out once the bottom portion boils and pressurizes. It's best not to use a fine-ground coffee, but decent coffee can make great espresso with this maker...it doesn't have to be anything too expensive.

Moka's are good. Everyone had one in Italy. It's good for home made morning stuff but still not espresso espresso.

Mar 15, 2003
Here are some alternatives to the Nespresso. They're cheaper, and personally, I think better.

http://solutionshop.co.uk/top-seven-nespresso-coffee-pod-machine-alternatives/

Everything on that list is more expensive than the $79 usb I paid for the nespresso prodigio. The smart features are pretty useless, but we all love the simplicity. The bonavita was also $80 on sale, and we're very pleased with the return on our sub-$200 total investment. The pods are expensive but the resulting coffee's vastly superior to anything my keurig used to brew (junked after the pump failed). I'm also really enjoying adding just one shot to my morning coffee ritual, makes an americano/espresso hybrid of sorts and the jolt better than anything I can get at the local starbucks. reminds me of the muddy, dark, but not bitter coffee I used to get at the pricey hipster joints.

Mar 15, 2003

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Bialetti-Stovetop-Espresso-Patented/dp/B000CNY6UK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489515600&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=italy+coffee+betilli&th=1

I loved my moka pot, reminded me to buy a new one (handle broke). even help liven up cheap bodega espresso.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Is there a fair deal on pods? Gourmesso seems reasonable on Amazon, but fakespot says a Lot of reviews are dodgy.

The legit Nespresso pods seem a little pricey unless you're an infrequent coffee drinker.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Is there a fair deal on pods? Gourmesso seems reasonable on Amazon, but fakespot says a Lot of reviews are dodgy.

The legit Nespresso pods seem a little pricey unless you're an infrequent coffee drinker.

Legit ones come out to about 60-70 cents a shot which isn't bad.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Aeropress makes absolutely garbage espresso but the coffee concentrate it makes will still taste better than Nespresso.