Any modern games just like SWAT 4?

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Years ago i played SWAT 4 and each mission you were outside a house where hostages were inside. You could command a team and infiltrate and save the hostages.

Now my question is, are there any modern games just like that?
I also really liked the old Rainbow Six game. I enjoyed planning a route and commanding my team all while playing in first person. Never played the vegas version, didn't look too appealing for some reason.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Unfortunately, I think SWAT 4 was the last CQC tactical shooter to really come out. It's been years since we've had anything like it.

My advice would be to keep an eye on "Takedown". It's a hardcore tactical CQC shooter that started out as a successful Kickstarter project, and is in the process of being made. I think it's supposed to release sometime next year. http://www.serellan.com/

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Nope, seems like nowadays everyone is more interested in shooting zombies or terrorists with their glawks instead of using a tactical mindset...(I played PQ:SWAT-Swat4)

I mean there WAS ARMA, but look what DayZ did to the multiplayer community :(

flyboy84

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2004
If you are up for oldies, SWAT 3 is even better than SWAT 4 in my opinion...

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
If you are up for oldies, SWAT 3 is even better than SWAT 4 in my opinion...

I don't know, I had a lot of fun tazing the hostage in SWAT4 to keep him from yelling for help....lmao.

ZzzZzztttzzttt UuurrrrgaaH!

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Are you implying that DayZ somehow affected/lowered the quality of the vanilla Arma 2 community?

The exact opposite happened. Tier 1 Ops gained a significant number of members keen to learn how to play the game with a good group. We have invited about 1-2 a week or so since DayZ was released. Its been very good for us, our gameplay is the same highly tactical and organised play it was before DayZ.

Arma 2 is not exactly the best CQC simulator unfortunately, once its modded up a bit it gets better, but the AI is still thick as *** **** in buildings. Urban combat can be good, but building combat isn't.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
You're right, I can see why the influx of DayZ players who know nothing about Arma 2 could taint the community a bit. Thanks.

No worries. There needs to be more tactical minded games out there. SWAT 4 was like the old Rainbow Six where each play through was different (randomized spawns, etc) and pre-planning was actually worthwhile.

SWAT 4 Multiplayer was really not that bad either.

The exact opposite happened. Tier 1 Ops gained a significant number of members keen to learn how to play the game with a good group. We have invited about 1-2 a week or so since DayZ was released. Its been very good for us, our gameplay is the same highly tactical and organised play it was before DayZ.

Arma 2 is not exactly the best CQC simulator unfortunately, once its modded up a bit it gets better, but the AI is still thick as *** **** in buildings. Urban combat can be good, but building combat isn't.

As I said in my PM to Dan: I liked playing AO the most as I liked the maps, loadouts, and vehicles. Now it's utterly astounding how many DAYZ servers come up on the list and how much you have to weed through them in order to find a vanilla AO server.

They percentage of tards may have either stayed the same or gone up. There are a lot more players for sure, but I'm definitely a casual player. There is only so much crawling through forests I can do with RL Vets before I get bored.

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

Yeah, while ARMA 2 is a good example of a recent tactical shooter, it's not designed for CQC at all. Which is why it's good to see games like Takedown being made.

And anything that raises awareness can certainly be a good thing. It's nice to hear about some competent ARMA 2 players being added to the ranks.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
SWAT 3 and 4 were fun but the AI was seriously lacking. Getting 100% on the diamond store mission was a bitch because of it.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Yeah, while ARMA 2 is a good example of a recent tactical shooter, it's not designed for CQC at all. Which is why it's good to see games like Takedown being made.

And anything that raises awareness can certainly be a good thing. It's nice to hear about some competent ARMA 2 players being added to the ranks.

Can't wait for Takedown... :cool:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I think both Rainbow Six: Vegas games are great, and it sounds like they'd be up your alley.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Damn. SWAT 4 was such a good game. Guess im reinstalling.

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android

pashbe1

May 5, 2009
I've been enjoying playing "The Heist" coop with friends. I never played SWAT, but some of what you are asking for exists in Heist, just the roles are reversed.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
All major games today have to be made so even a kindergartner on a console can play them.

Luckily there's indie games and kickstarter.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I've been enjoying playing "The Heist" coop with friends. I never played SWAT, but some of what you are asking for exists in Heist, just the roles are reversed.

The Heist is an uber over the top arcade type shooter where you regenerate health and can take a stupid amount of damage before you die. SWAT was a game where you could die from a single shot and had to be very technical and careful of every move. The Heist is great but outside of the cops vs robbers aspect they're not even similar game.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Short answer: No.

Not quite as short answer: Hell no.

The death of the actual Tactical/Realistic Shooter is another sad casualty of the increased dumbing-down and lowest common denominator marketing path of the current industry.

Rainbow Six Vegas is probably the closest thing, and that's downright sad, because Vegas has far more in common with Gears of War than SWAT or any of the older R6 titles.
Make no mistake, I love R6V as an action title, and playing co-op is great fun, but it can't sniff the orignal R6 series jockstrap, let alone the old SWAT games.

The "one-shot-one-kill" model is extinct, because Johnny Dumbfuck and Billy TwelveYearOld think it's too hard and can't stay focused long enough.

Your best bet is likely older titles, like Rainbow Six 3, or even something like Brothers in Arms (Hell's Highway isn't too old, and still looks and plays great), but even those are stretching it.
Really, SWAT is always one of a kind in it's setting, and emphasis on (hopefully) non-lethal resolutions.
Sadly, nothing else like it exists anymore.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Yeah Rainbow Six: Vegas definitely ain't like the older RB6 games but it was all I could think of. And yes, the Brothers in Arms series is also quite good but I'd compare it to Rainbow Six: Vegas as far as tactical depth goes. But Brothers in Arms is a great series; I just started playing Hell's Highway a couple days ago again actually.

I know it's not SWAT-like, but have you tried Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising? It's a military-style game but there's a decent amount of tactical depth to it without going overboard (like ArmA 2 does, IMO).

pashbe1

May 5, 2009
The Heist is an uber over the top arcade type shooter where you regenerate health and can take a stupid amount of damage before you die. SWAT was a game where you could die from a single shot and had to be very technical and careful of every move. The Heist is great but outside of the cops vs robbers aspect they're not even similar game.

Okay, thx, I get the difference. I definately enjoyed the "hard" tac-shooters, and your right; Heist isn't one of those. I got nothing for you then.