Any Linux Gamers here?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hello guys. I 'm a PC gamer that only games on Linux and have been for a few years. In fact I no longer even use Windows at all anymore.

So who else does gaming only or mostly on Linux?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
If you're a PC Gamer then you really need to be gaming on Windows. It has the best performance, support, and library. Dual boot if you hate to use it for regular day to day stuff.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
I guess there aren't any Linux gamers here:(
I tried it a while back, but other than the obvious lack of compatibility with huge numbers of DirectX games (WINE is not perfect), you've also got the issue of drivers. There's a big difference between "working" on Linux, and having optimised drivers. Ignore the synthetic Unigine Heaven and scroll down to the games:-
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OB-Analytics-Win-Linu-AMDNV

Most people I know who both use Linux and game on PC's end up dual-booting for that reason.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I play some games on linux and some on windows; I have a nuc like system I use to travel that has linux; and another linux box with r290 (hope to upgrade to 1070 in nov); but my win 7 box gets most of the gaming (r390 which I hope to upgrade to 1070) simply because a lot of games i play are windows only. Two current games are doom (latest) and witcher 3 - neither available for linux.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I tried it a while back, but other than the obvious lack of compatibility with huge numbers of DirectX games (WINE is not perfect), you've also got the issue of drivers. There's a big difference between "working" on Linux, and having optimised drivers. Ignore the synthetic Unigine Heaven and scroll down to the games:-
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OB-Analytics-Win-Linu-AMDNV

Most people I know who both use Linux and game on PC's end up dual-booting for that reason.
Well I mostly play games that have Linux ports with few older Windows titles on Wine. I've been doing this for the last three years with nary a problem.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I have a few games in Steam that plays fine on Linux but I end up in Windows anyways because my most frequently played games only works on Windows. 7 Days To Die, Rust, Cities Skyline and Civ V works great in Linux. I also have SWGEmu that plays under Linux (used ot play the original SWG via WINE back then).