Any Latitude D610 owners out there?

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
My manager ordered me a Latitude D610 and I just got it a few days ago. So far, not a bad machine and fairly zippy even in what is a fairly basic configuration. My only complaint (not to be ungrateful :p) is that it's quite heavy, as I need to lug it back and forth from work at least a couple of times a week (I walk about 20-30 minutes each way as part of my commute). I remember looking at the specs on Dell's website when the requisition was first put in and being relieved because Dell listed it at under 5 lbs starting weight. I'm guessing that that excludes the optical drive and the battery? I ask because the the thing feels a lot more like 6-6.5 lbs. I used to carry my own old P3-500 laptop to work occasionally, and that was probably 4lbs WITH the battery (the optical and floppy drives were external and I never carried them with me).

EDIT: Added topic summary.

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: geecee
My manager ordered me a Latitude D610 and I just got it a few days ago. So far, not a bad machine and fairly zippy even in what is a fairly basic configuration. My only complaint (not to be ungrateful :p) is that it's quite heavy, as I need to lug it back and forth from work at least a couple of times a week (I walk about 20-30 minutes each way as part of my commute). I remember looking at the specs on Dell's website when the requisition was first put in and being relieved because Dell listed it at under 5 lbs starting weight. I'm guessing that that excludes the optical drive and the battery? I ask because the the thing feels a lot more like 6-6.5 lbs. I used to carry my own old P3-500 laptop to work occasionally, and that was probably 4lbs WITH the battery (the optical and floppy drives were external and I never carried them with me).

EDIT: Added topic summary.

You're talking to a guy with a ten-pound laptop. Wuss.
(Of course, I just got my NC4010. 3.5 lbs. of ultraportable HP goodness!)

I've done some work on the D610's predecessor, the D600. The D600 is a nasty bit of work; the cooling system was abysmal, and led to the death of my client's laptop. I do know a guy with a D610, though; it looks like the major difference between them being an improved cooling system. (The ones on the D610 were cheap off-the-shelf units, with some amazingly bad thermal epoxy.)
The LCD's are nice, though.

ND40oz

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2004
I have a D610, I replaced my D600 with it. Much improved over the D600, especially the cooling, you no longer have to worry about the palm rest becoming a personal heater. The D610 only seems to have heat build up in the upper left hand corner of the unit.

In terms of carrying it, I use the dell leather messenger bag, but alot of co-workers like the backpack. Its huge and it has good shoulder pads.

Also, if you have the second bay battery, it will be heavier, but I get 6 hours of battery life with mine.

mparr1708

Jan 5, 2005
I have about 7 or 8 users with these right now and my company has decided that the d610 will be our new standard notebook. I have had no overheating from this series at all. They actually all commented on how light it was but that was because they all moved off of I8200 or I8600 series laptops.

Seriously though the D610 is not a heavy laptop. If it is to heavy for you I would have to jokingly call you a wuss :). Maybe try switching to a backpack style case? The weight would be distributed better and maybe make the walk a bit more comfortable.

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Maybe I am just a wuss. :p Seriously though, are Dell's specs right? They say it starts at 4.67 lbs. There's no way this D610 is that light. It's got to be closer to 6 lbs than it is to 5.

EDIT: NM. I just saw the fine print at their site:
The D610's starting weight of 4.67lbs (2.12kg) is configured with a 4-cell battery in the battery bay, 14.1" display and travel module in the modular bay. Weights vary with configurations and manufacturing variability.
I believe I have the 6-cell battery and I'm carrying the optical drive with me. So this really probably is more like 5.5 - 6 lbs.

Funyuns101

Platinum Member
Jun 15, 2002
don't forget that you're probably carrying extra accessories especially the AC adapter which can be about an extra pound