Any incentive to keep old mobo for new CPU?

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
I've heard that certain software is not installable in a "new" machine.

So if I upgrade just my CPU by slapping it into my old motherboard, will the software continue to run normally thinking that's the same computer? For example, I have Office 2013, Windows 8, etc.

But, if I get a new motherboard and new CPU, will my software think it's a new computer and disable itself? Like Office 2013 and Windows 8?

I think I'd be willing to sacrifice some options and use my old mobo if it means avoiding the potential of my software thinking I have a new computer if I get a new mobo.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Shouldn't be a problem as long as your motherboard supports it. That is the question you should be concerned with.

LurchFrinky

Nov 12, 2003
I'm pretty sure you can swap out the cpu with zero issues.

I was able to move a hard drive from one XP machine to another - but on startup it kept finding new devices and needed to install drivers (PITA).
I haven't tried with any newer version of Windows, though.
I would be more concerned with repairing/re-installing Windows during boot than anything else. Be sure to backup your boot drive, just in case.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Sorry I missed the second part of your question KingFatty.

As for the motherboard, it depends. If you are talking an OEM machine, the Windows 8 key is tied to the motherboard. You may be able to talk Microsoft into reactivate it for you though.

If it is a custom computer, you will not have a problem. You may have to call Microsoft for activation, but they won't care.

With software such as Office, the general rule is if Windows will activate, the software will activate.

Last edited:

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2007...new-motherboard-without-reinstalling-windows/

Okay, two things you're asking here - simply dropping new CPU onto existing motherboard or replacing CPU+motherboard.

Case 1 I have done several times never had any issues, never even had to reactivate Windows.

Case 2, see link above before you get started with anything hardware-related. I know the article is written toward XP/Vista but the basic info is still completely valid for 7/8. If you go this route, as mentioned above, I would definitely recommend a HDD backup before even taking the steps to make Windows agnostic. You still have a functional motherboard, if you have a backup and your system snafus on you somehow you can always go back to the older hardware with no problems. Once you make agnostic, swap out hardware, boot into Windows, it's going to ask you to activate. Load all drivers before you try to activate. Try to do the online activation, might or might not work. If not, you will just have to call MS activation line, enter a long number, tell them you had to replace motherboard and they should activate for you. I've been through this quite a few times over the year, it's nothing difficult, hardest part is just entering the number into their system.

Good luck!

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Well this sounds good, I think I feel safer getting a new motherboard and CPU.

But, I also wanted to point out that I think the best option for installing a new motherboard and CPU would be to simply "generalize" the windows installation.

It's a great function built-in to Windows 7 and Windows 8. It essentially tells windows to start over regarding drivers, and just behave as though it has been freshly installed. Then, it will rediscover all the new hardware of the new motherboard.

The key benefit is all your software installations are preserved, and for existing hardware that you aren't changing, the drivers are already available and autoinstalled.

See more info here:
In sysprep dialog that opens, choose System Cleanup Action as Enter System Out-of-Box-Experience (OOBE), select Generalize, select Shutdown Options Shutdown. Click OK

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html
128581d1294005050t-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer-sysprep_run_and_generalize.png