any ideas on widescreen + no intel integrated notebook?

SportSC4

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2002
I'm looking for a notebook with an integrated dvd burner, widescreen, etc and the dell 700m comes closes but i do not want the intel integrated graphics chipset. are there any notebooks that fulfill that requirement?

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: SportSC4
I'm looking for a notebook with an integrated dvd burner, widescreen, etc and the dell 700m comes closes but i do not want the intel integrated graphics chipset. are there any notebooks that fulfill that requirement?

Well theres always overpriced Sony VAIOs. 13.3" Widescreen with an ATI 9600 64MB IIRC.

mdahc

Oct 9, 2004
If you're looking for something with a small widescreen (i.e. < 15.4") and dedicated graphics, I think the Sony S series is pretty much your only choice.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: mdahc
If you're looking for something with a small widescreen (i.e. < 15.4") and dedicated graphics, I think the Sony S series is pretty much your only choice.

See my post :p

mdahc

Oct 9, 2004
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
Originally posted by: mdahc

See my post :p

I did. I meant if he wants something now.

cbehnken

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2004
If you want a 15.4 get a Compaq R3000Z

They are cheap and have A64s available.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Just an FYI, the Dell 700M is a very thin, light weight notebook. The R3000Z is a beast, weighing 7+ pounds and not thin in the least. Its a great value no doubt, but not portable IMO.

cbehnken

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2004
Just an FYI, the Dell 700M is a very thin, light weight notebook. The R3000Z is a beast, weighing 7+ pounds and not thin in the least. Its a great value no doubt, but not portable IMO.

Thin and light are overrated IMHO.

I carry this thing around all day on campus and it's only about as heavy as a good sized textbook.

What's 2 or 3 lbs difference anyway?

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
And I see people carrying R3000Z size notebooks around campus all day as well. But most people prefer something that is easy to carry, better on battery life (A64 = 3 hours MAX), and that won't burn their testicles (or ovaries) when you turn it on.
For mobile use, Centrino>>>>>>all else (except maybe Turion, we'll see).
[/THREAD]

cbehnken

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2004
And I see people carrying R3000Z size notebooks around campus all day as well. But most people prefer something that is easy to carry, better on battery life (A64 = 3 hours MAX), and that won't burn their testicles (or ovaries) when you turn it on.
For mobile use, Centrino>>>>>>all else (except maybe Turion, we'll see).
[/THREAD]

These things aren't hot at all. They run Cool 'n Quiet and it actually works. Battery life is 3 hours like you said, but I can't imagine being away from an outlet that long. They also have a 50% bigger battery if you want it. I have the little battery and get 3 hours easy.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
SportSC4, I'm in the same boat as you. There are not many choices. I'm tempted by the Asus W3v but at $2100, it's a lot. My second choice and probably purchase will be a Sony S in the $1400-1500 range.

moretoys

Nov 21, 2000
I just bought a Toshiba Satellite M40 JM3 which has the go 6600 and love it. $1899 cdn for the 60 gig, 1.6 version.
http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en§ion=1&group=1&product=4070
Mind you I'm in Canada and I believe the US vesion with the same model # has integrated but the M45 has the go 6600.

My mistake, the US M45 does not have the go 6600. To bad, don't know why they changed the models from Canada to US, the canadian model M40 is great!

SportSC4

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2002
thanks guys
i stopped by the local stores today to look at a few of 'em. The only one that came close to my requirements was the sony vg-ns360 (like what was earlier mentioned). i looked at the powerbook 15" and it's really nice but too big to carry around and the 12" model has a low 4:3 resolution. hopefully they will introduce a 13" widescreen when they announce their next noteboks soon. the R3000Z is nice and all but it weighs more than my old old old toshiba 445cdx and that thing was horrible to lug around for more than a few minutes (but it is thinner).

there were a few nice 15" notebooks but i learned that even though they didn't weigh too much and were very thin, just the physical size wasn't great just to carry around for me.

I looked at the asus notebooks on their website and they are definitely nice... but all the widescreen models are in the 15" range.

The only problem I found with the sony s360 was that center area above the keyboard was very FLIMSY. I could easily see that breaking. I guess i'll just get a dell 700m with the intel integrated graphics for now and sell it later. the only reason i was trying to avoid the intel graphics was because of longhorn.

thanks everyone!