Any ideas how to stop people from stealing my apartment parking spot?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you are renting, complain to your landlord. You are paying for the parking - he has to provide it. If he doesn't, then write explaining that you are not getting what was agreed, and that you will be deducting $xxx from future rent payments until the spot is restored to your use.

If you own, then you need to contact the management. If you paid extra for a car parking spot, then explain that unless the spot is restored to you, you will sue them, for the loss of use of the spot.

Also leave a note on the car explaining that this is private property and parking is not permitted. Don't use stickers, let the air out of the tires, cover the car in offensive substances - these are all property damage - do this and you could get prosecuted (yes, stickers which don't come off cleanly - e.g. paper that tears, etc. - have been classed as criminal damage). At any rate, it wouldn't look good if things get nasty between the various parties.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Rumpltzer
I'm interested in the "against the law for tow companies to just come take them away" part... but if that's really the case, then parking behind them really is the way to go. If the tow truck can't tow him, then the tow truck can't to you either, right?

You can get a small parking ticket from the town bylaw officer. Parking behind him isn't really possible sadly, it'd block the whole access road into the entire complex.

Yes, my spot is designated by management.

I sincerely doubt I could deduct $x rent in this province, Mark R. It's extremely pro landlord. I'd likely be evicted on the spot.

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
If it's only yours, lay down a barely-visible tack strip in front of the spot when you leave. Anyone comes to take the spot and they're in for a nasty surprise. Just don't forget to pick it up before you park your own car.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Scouzer
I'm interested in the "against the law for tow companies to just come take them away" part... but if that's really the case, then parking behind them really is the way to go. If the tow truck can't tow him, then the tow truck can't to you either, right?

You can get a small parking ticket from the town bylaw officer. Parking behind him isn't really possible sadly, it'd block the whole access road into the entire complex.

I sincerely doubt I could deduct $x rent in this province, Mark R. It's extremely pro landlord. I'd likely be evicted on the spot.

Require the management to provide you another spot. Or just park in someone else's spot to highlight the problem.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: D1gger
Originally posted by: Chryso
Park behind them.

I've done this at our condo. It works very well.

I parked behind some dingbat in my spot and left it there for three hours. I came back and they were sitting in the car waiting for me. Started to give me shit about parking behind them and I simply smiled and said "don't park in my spot next time".

i did the same thing. the guy was violent after tho, so he ended up going to jail.

i also had a guy keep parking in the motorcycle parking and blocking my bike in. i asked him to stop doing it, but his argument was his convertible was in his spot, and the visitors parking was so far away. i should be able to get out by going on the sidewalk. i told him to stop, had the management tow him a few times. he knocked my bike over one time, so i put a bullet on top of his car as a note. he never did it again.

joesmoke

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2007
Originally posted by: hanoverphist
he knocked my bike over one time, so i put a bullet on top of his car as a note. he never did it again.

nice... that was efficient

CptCrunch

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2005
take a big tube of super glue and squirt it all along their door frames so they can't open their doors.

... or park behind them

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: Scouzer

Require the management to provide you another spot. Or just park in someone else's spot to highlight the problem.
Best idea yet.

Park in the building manager parking spot, or a crankiest person in the complex.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
For those who were asking about tow laws:

I looked it up online to confirm what my landlord said, and he's right. Cars *can* be towed without consent from private lots IF:

1) The parking rules are clearly stated on signs (they're not...although my spot is labelled with my apt #)
2) The LANDLORD has to pay for the car to be towed and stored, NOT THE CAR OWNER (wtf?)

A private parking lot is private property and the operator has the right to tow a vehicle however the owner of the vehicle can't be forced to pay any of the towing costs.

If you show up while it is being towed, they have to drop it and give the vehicle to you without any charges. If they don't you can call the Police and report a theft.

If the vehicle is towed before you return and taken it to an impound lot, again they can't hold the vehicle and force the car owner to pay any of the towing or impound/storage charges.

The company which ordered the towing has to pay those costs and then go after the car owner in small claims court.

If the towing company refuses to return the car, the owner can call the police and have them charged with theft or tampering with a vehicle.

However if a car is parked illegally on private property, which means if it is violating a section of the Highway Traffic act or a City bylaw, then it could be tagged and towed by city police or parking control and then the car owner is responsible for all the costs.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: KLin
Originally posted by: Baked
Smash wind shield. They can't prove shit! Don't leave finger prints or tools on the scene. And make sure you have alibi that vouch for you not being at the scene of revenge.

But they can exact revenge to whatever car parks there afterwards.

EDIT: Of course the way around that is to smash a couple other windshields in the parking lot near your parking spot. :laugh:

Yeah fuck damaging their car...just wait for them to come out and explain the rules.

I am sure most of ATOT will be afraid someone might shoot them though for doing the right thing.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
If you can't get towed yourself, and management is not enforcing designated spots, it's find your own. Take the next available one. Sooner or later, manglement will get it together.
Hopefully, you won't be the one they make an example of. Let us know how that works out.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Parking spots to condo/apartments I've been to have white painted letters/numbers on the parking spot designated for each unit. And a sign that unauthorized vehicles will be towed.

What's with this 8 years necro threading?

Last edited:

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
I can breathe history.

So how did the story end?

anyway these are very cheap (even 20€) and cost less than the potential trouble of damaging their car.
ar100_big.jpg

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
If you can't get towed yourself, and management is not enforcing designated spots, it's find your own. Take the next available one. Sooner or later, manglement will get it together.
Hopefully, you won't be the one they make an example of. Let us know how that works out.

From the law that was just posted it doesn't seem like management can do a lot about it. If there are no penalties in the lease they are kind of helpless. Perhaps they could put something in all new leases and renewals that you are fined $25 for every instance or something.