Any idea what broken motherboard component this is?

Jayson7

Jan 30, 2016
Hello, I’m searching for some information regarding a situation I had with my brand new Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard. After connecting one of my case fans up to the 4-pin (CHA_FAN 4) connector, I proceeded to boot up resulting in a quick pop followed by a spark with a burnt smell. After this occurrence the computer continued to boot up properly with no errors, I then quickly proceeded to shut down the computer and disconnect the CHA_FAN 4 connector and inspected the motherboard for any signs of damage. Upon my inspection, I found a broken piece of what looks to be a plastic cover. The motherboard is giving me an (AA) Code and does not appear to be showing any performance issues resulting from the incident.

Can you determine from the photo link provided what this broken component is and what it's used for? My computer has been running very well and really can't afford to wait on a replacement/repair from Asus. Any advice?

Thanks for your time.

Image Link > https://www.dropbox.com/s/z10ncdv7hlnazuk/AsusX99-Deluxe-BrokenPlasticCover.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
That looks like a three terminal semiconductor part, possibly a transistor used for switching or an IC voltage or current regulator. If your machine "does not appear to be showing any performance issues," there are three possiblities:

1. Something isn't working that you haven't tested, yet.

2. Something that is controlled or protected by the blown part is working... for now... but how long that will continue is questionable at best.

3. It may continue working for a long time, but I wouldn't bet on it.

There's no question that Asus owes you an RMA. I suggest contacting their RMA/support department to see if they will send you a replacement board before you disassmble your current setup.

They may ask for your credit card under the condition that it will be charged only if you don't return the defective board after you receive the replacement.

If you bought your board from a local vendor (not online), and it's new enough that you're still within the return period, you may be able to work out the same kind of thing with the local vendor.

Good luck. :)

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I would rma with vendor if at all possible.

Asus rma = no fun. They'd probably deny warranty or claim you damaged it.

Jayson7

Jan 30, 2016
Thanks for the reply and your suggestions. Yes, I think for this I will go the RMA route.