Question Any idea if Mobos for Ryzen 4000 desktop CPU will feature technology not currently found on X570?

Pumice

Jan 17, 2011
The X570 motherboards are supposed to be compatible for the upcoming desktop Ryzen 4000 cpus . What I wonder is if when the CPU is released , there will also be a release of new motherboards designed specifically to take advantage of all Ryzen 4000 cpu abilities, which the current crop of X570 mobos , even the top of the line models , will not be able to?

I was pondering on going with a Ryzen 9 3900X build and a Gigabyte X570 mobo, thinking when the Ryzen 4000 releases later this year, all I would need to do is upgrade the CPU if I wanted to, but now I am thinking I would just be limiting the Ryzen 4000 by not getting the hypothetical new mobos?

Chicken76

Jun 10, 2013
Nope, 500-series is what's going to run Ryzen 4000 best. That's X570 (enthusiast) and B550 (mainstream). B550 was just released recently but X570 has more features (PCI-E 4.0 everywhere, more SATA ports, etc.) and is more expensive and uses more power.

I doubt there will be any other chipsets for AM4. (this is not official information but pretty much everyone expects B550 to be the last release for AM4)

viivo

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
@Pumice To what "Ryzen 4000 cpu abilities" that X570 boards "will not be able to do" are you referring?

It's unlikely there will be any more chipsets for AM4. It would be a waste of time and resources to trot out another so soon after B550. For users, AM4 has quite a few years of life left; for AMD it's dead and buried.

Last edited:

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
Are you referring to a hypothetical X670? Assuming they release that and new motherboards -

In terms of the chipset I could see lower power consumption which would also mean no fan.

In terms of motherboards in general I could see the designs moving to 2.5Gb ethernet, 32MB roms across the board, maybe better memory (OC) support and power delivery? On average "newer" iterations for connectivity (eg. USB-C options).

Pumice

Jan 17, 2011
@Pumice To what "Ryzen 4000 cpu abilities" that X570 boards "will not be able to do" are you referring?

It's unlikely there will be any more chipsets for AM4. It would be a waste of time and resources to trot out another so soon after B550. For users, AM4 has quite a few years of life left; for AMD it's dead and buried.
I don't know what the 4000 CPU will feature that the 3000 series does not have, I was just wondering if AMD would be introducing something new with the 4000 series apart that would require new chipsets and mobos to fully utilize the power of the 4000 series.

Pumice

Jan 17, 2011
Are you referring to a hypothetical X670? Assuming they release that and new motherboards -

In terms of the chipset I could see lower power consumption which would also mean no fan.

In terms of motherboards in general I could see the designs moving to 2.5Gb ethernet, 32MB roms across the board, maybe better memory (OC) support and power delivery? On average "newer" iterations for connectivity (eg. USB-C options).
Other than knowing AMD is coming out with the 4000 and the new generation Navi cards, I have no idea what else they might be releasing this year. So I was wondering if the folks who stay up to date on new product lines and their technology were confident there was going to be a new or enhanced chipset to accompany the 4000 Desktop cpu.