Any idea how much washer/dryer hookup wires/tubes/hoses cost?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TheGizmo, Dec 2, 2007.

1. TheGizmo

TheGizmo Diamond Member

My neighbor got a new high performance/energy saving washer and dryer and so they gave me their old one (about 10 years old) whirlpool brand. Anyway, they said there was nothing wrong with it they just wanted a new one. So I got it and its now in my apartment.

The Washer has the hot/cold water hoses and the power cord hanging from it. There is a plastic (sewage?) tube with it as well. Is it a good idea for me to replace the hot/cold water hoses or should these 10 year old ones be fine?

The dryer on the other hand has nothing connected to the back of it at all, so I would need to buy the electric cable to plug into the wall and the lint hose. I don't think I need anything else for it.. it is an electric dryer. My apartment has all the hookups for it, so its just a matter of me putting this all together on my day off tomorrow.

So I figure I have to buy:

-Some clamps to clamp the sewage hose for the dryer in place, and the lint hose for the dryer in place (really big diameter for the dryer one)

-An electrical cord for the dryer (that odd 3 prong'ed kind with the diagnol prongs)

-The hose for the lint/hot air tube to connect to the wall.

-Maybe some new hot/cold water hoses (if neccisary)

Anything else I need? Anyone know how much this would all cost me on average.

Thanks

2. Kanalua

Kanalua Diamond Member

Should cost more than $25-$30...some places (Home Depot, Lowes) has a package with everything in it...

3. Slew Foot

Slew Foot Lifer

Yeah, I got a dryer hookup kit from Home Depot for $24 about 3 years ago.

4. TheGizmo

TheGizmo Diamond Member

Cool that sounds good.. what about replacing the water hoses for the washer.. think thats neccisary?

5. Injury

Injury Lifer

At the cost of a few bucks, you might as well. They'll be fine if you really can't spare the $10 to replace them... I've never really heard of hoses rotting through or anything. Now if the metal ends are rusted... you'd probably be safer replacing them.

6. TheGizmo

TheGizmo Diamond Member

sweet i'll give it a go tomorrow. yay for free appliances

7. WildHorse

WildHorse Diamond Member

yes. burst hoses (usually the hot water one, usually when you're away fior a few days, lol ) cause a lot of damage with volumes of water sprayed everywhere. replacement of both hot & cold water hoses is cheap insurance.

8. MrPickins

MrPickins Diamond Member

Get braided metal hoses. They are tons more durable, and not much more expensive. (think $5 each vs $3 each)

9. amdskip

amdskip Lifer

Make sure you take note (draw a picture) of the layout of your 220 outlet. There are a couple different versions.

10. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

That's not very good advice.

here
    here
    here
    here

11. 0roo0roo

0roo0roo No Lifer

you should replace the hot/cold water hoses. $12-15 i think for metal braid covered auto shut off valve ones. cuz it really sucks if that hose bursts and floods ur house. blow out the lint in the lint hose.

12. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

Agreed. Get some braided lines for the hot and cold water though. Those are much less prone to breaking. I definitely wouldn't reuse the 10 year old lines that came with the washer.

13. Injury

Injury Lifer

Interesting. I don't doubt it, but I've still never met anyone who has had hoses rot through or anything. I still stand by "it's cheap enough so why not?"

14. krotchy

krotchy Golden Member

My friend's uncle had one of his washer hoses pop open. Even a few hours of time turned into 20K in damage, so I suggest replacing the hose. The problem is they can wear through in a weak spot in the hose. It may take 5 years, but a bubble will form... then pop... then bad...

They say you should replace the water hoses every 5 years, but the power cord should be ok, however you arent supposed to use an old power cord on a new washer.