Any history buffs, students or teachers here?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I enjoy brushing up on history from time to time and I need to add a few books to my library. Any suggestions?

All suggestions are welcome but in particular I want to find books on the following subjects:

World powers from the past
Babylon, Egypt, Persia and other ancient civilations
The Dark Ages and the Crusades
General history textbooks

Lazy8s

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004
A People's History of the United States is good but you have to read it objectively. After about the first 1/3 he really starts going off and by the end of the book nonsense is almost more common than the facts. Its a great read if you're not weak minded though.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors

by Hornfischer (might be spelled incorrectly)

Great book about the battle off samar.

thehstrybean

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2004
If you want a good book, read "Modern Times" by Paul Johnson
Also, "How the Irish Saved Civilization" (can't remember the author...it's Ancient Rome and medieval together)
Anything by Paul Johnson and Richard Hofstadter (He's the Republican side of American history)
Then Howard Zinn (the Democratic side of American history)

If you need anymore, just PM me...I've got a library and I'm a history major...

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: preslove
Originally posted by: Rebasxer
Guns Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond.

Buy this book.

:thumbsup: to that recommendation. Great book. Has anyone read the follow-up by Diamond? I believe it had something to do with why great civilizations fail historically? Looked interesting, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Originally posted by: preslove
Originally posted by: Rebasxer
Guns Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond.

Buy this book.

:thumbsup: to that recommendation. Great book. Has anyone read the follow-up by Diamond? I believe it had something to do with why great civilizations fail historically? Looked interesting, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

I listened to it on mp3. It's about all types of civilizations and how they fail because they don't adapt to their surroundings and/or destroy their environments. It is really good.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
The History Channel

I am a lazy reader but I love history.

A People's History of the US is a good book.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The Decline of the West by Oswald Spengler

Covers all ancient civilizations in a very unique way. Many Historical facts, but also explores a more Philosophical view of what Civilization is and what influences determine a Civilization's outcome. Also explores the common stages that Civilizations have gone through, from start to fall.

The book is not an easy read and seems rather encyclopedic, but it is very interesting and informative.