Any Hispanic/Spanish/Latino people up in here?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: alkohoLiK
Originally posted by: thesurge
A Spanish person (Spaniard) only references to people native to Spain. I believe "Hispanic" is the term used to designate descendents from the Iberian peninsula. I speak Spanish, but I know nothing of their cuisine (unfortunately). :)

corrected, thanks

edit: corrected to be even more PC

None of those terms are PC terms. They're just different terms that refer to different groups of people. Spanish people live in Spain. Hispanic people are all people descendant from a Spanish-speaking culture. Latinos are Hispanics from Central America or South America. Spanish and Latino are both subsets of Hispanic.

If you wanted to be PC, you could say "Latina," because Latino is the masculine form of the word. :p

Edit:
Cue cheesy music... :music: The more you know :music:

My dad's side of the family is Spanish, but I don't know the answer to your question.

no.

spanish are those living in spain.

latino are those who speak a latin-based language. this includes french, italian, and romanian, as well as the iberian languages (though most people like to ignore the first 3 completely).

hispanic is a term invented by the US census to differentiate central/south american immigrants to the US from the other romance language speakers because that new group has a much different time assimilating/fitting in here. ergo, hispanics only live in the US.

I've never heard the word latino used to describe anyone from France. Latin, perhaps, but not latino. Do you have a source? Because the dictionary and Wikipedia both agree with me. ;)

Not sure where you got your definition or origin of the word hispanic, but again the dictionary agrees with me. (http://www.answers.com/hispanic see usage note)

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: amdhunter
Originally posted by: hanoverphist
get some rice in a fry pan with some oil, let it brown a bit. add el pato sauce to it, let it fry and then add water. fry that stuff up, let it boil a bit. cover and let it cook at a low heat. stir it once in a while so it doesnt burn. pretty simple stuff, you can add cilantro and salt too, cilantro the sauce is pretty much the two flavors in the rice. i add cheese and salsa for color and flavor as well, but thats just me. serve it with beans on the side of any mexican entree.

oh, el pato is a brand name, the hot sauce is just one of the tastier ones, and its very liquid which helps in making the rice.

el pato sauce...doesn't that translate to "The Gay Sauce..." lol :confused:

as loosely as calling a cop a pig. slang terms come about in weird ways, this one is no different. pato means duck, look at the labeling

http://www.mexgrocer.com/brand-el-pato.html

makes more sense than fairy sauce doesnt it?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

I've never heard the word latino used to describe anyone from France. Latin, perhaps, but not latino. Do you have a source? Because the dictionary and Wikipedia both agree with me. ;)

Not sure where you got your definition or origin of the word hispanic, but again the dictionary agrees with me. (http://www.answers.com/hispanic see usage note)

the modern usage of the word 'hispanic' in the united states to mean a specific ethnic group has it's origins in the US census. even if a more archaic use can refer to anyone of spanish or even portuguese descent, the current modern american use is for recent immigrants from central and south america.

as for 'latino,' it's merely a short form of 'latin american,' which was originally introduced to emphasize the common culture and history of romance lanugage speakers.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: thesurge
A Spanish person (Spaniard) only references to people native to Spain. I believe "Hispanic" is the term used to designate descendents from the Iberian peninsula. I speak Spanish, but I know nothing of their cuisine (unfortunately). :)

corrected, thanks

edit: corrected to be even more PC

It's not being PC, it's just being C.

It's like calling an Australian an English person

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

the modern usage of the word 'hispanic' in the united states to mean a specific ethnic group has it's origins in the US census. even if a more archaic use can refer to anyone of spanish or even portuguese descent, the current modern american use is for recent immigrants from central and south america.

as for 'latino,' it's merely a short form of 'latin american,' which was originally introduced to emphasize the common culture and history of romance lanugage speakers.

If you read the full wikipedia article that you quoted above, you'd see that it addresses this specifically, and you're wrong on both accounts. It's not archaic at all, it's just that most Americans don't know what the word means.

Dec 27, 2001

If you read the full wikipedia article that you quoted above, you'd see that it addresses this specifically, and you're wrong on both accounts. It's not archaic at all, it's just that most Americans don't know what the word means.

As somebody who's best friend growing up, wife, and boss are all of Mexican or Central American heritage, let me clue you in.

They call themselves Latin. Yeah, Hispanic, Latino, Spanish, whatever........we all know what is meant, but for what they actually call themselves, it's just plain Latin.

As for why..................as best I can figure out, since nobody really knows it's just kind of understood, it seems to be in reference to the term Latin America. This encompasses all the Spanish-speaking nations ranging across North, Central, and Southern America. It has to be a more general term like Latin to encompass Brazil with whom all the Spanish speaking nations feel solidarity. I think it's also feels better to them because the word itself harkens positive connotations of the millenia of cultural development and advancement in lower Europe which ther ancestors were a part of.

So, feel free, white guys, to go back to arguing over who is more accurately PC.

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
jeez this thread went down pretty fast.

i was just looking for a real rice and bean receipe from someone that was puerto rican since i remember my friend's parents rice and beans was amazing.

the guy who linked the wiki page with the rice and beans that really didnt look like what I had eaten. they didnt use a pressure cooker and i dont own one either. being that it was almost 10 years ago i remember his mom soaked the beans for a little (not sure in what) and cooked the rice on the stove. sometimes she would burn it on accident and the rice on the bottom of the pan was crispy...and i actually liked it that way.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
They all make them differently.....Brazilian rice and beans taste nothing like Colombian rice and beans, and they taste nothing like Dominican rice and beans.

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Gibson486
They all make them differently.....Brazilian rice and beans taste nothing like Colombian rice and beans, and they taste nothing like Dominican rice and beans.

fine....if anyone is puerto rican can you please tell me how you make your rice and beans. thanks

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
I'm white Spanish (Asturiana) and mixed Cuban so maybe I can help. :p

There is a dish called Moros.... it's short for Moros y Christianos... black beans and rice mixed, like the black and white people mixed. It's quite tasty!

Ophir

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
jeez this thread went down pretty fast.

i was just looking for a real rice and bean receipe from someone that was puerto rican since i remember my friend's parents rice and beans was amazing.

the guy who linked the wiki page with the rice and beans that really didnt look like what I had eaten. they didnt use a pressure cooker and i dont own one either. being that it was almost 10 years ago i remember his mom soaked the beans for a little (not sure in what) and cooked the rice on the stove. sometimes she would burn it on accident and the rice on the bottom of the pan was crispy...and i actually liked it that way.
Ok. Back on topic, my mom's recipe for mexican style refried pinto beans (initially cooking the beans is a time consuming PITA, they come boiled and canned whole now):

2 tbsp. bacon grease (brown bits are absolutely necessary)
1/2 clove garlic quartered
1 29oz can whole pinto beans (not previously refried) EXAMPLE
Chili powder (optional)

In a 2quart pot, heat grease over medium-low heat, and fry the garlic until slightly golden. With pot off heat, carefully add beans w/ juice to pot (it may splash so be careful). Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer stirring occasionally for 15min, or until beans start to fall apart. Mash with a potato masher to desired consistency (Americans tend to like them almost pureed, Mexicans prefer to have bean chunks). Bring slurry to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until beans hold form in a large spoon (they will thicken as they cool). If they are too thick, stir in a little hot water. Mix in chili powder if desired, works well if adding to tacos and burritos or for dip, not so much if the beans stand alone as in a carne asada dish.

As for the rice, she usually made a modified white rice (this is more the style in central Mexico and Mexico City).

50/50 water-chicken stock
White rice
Carrots, corn kernels, peas (carrots chopped to pea size)
4 large cilantro leaves w/ stems

Place rice, veggies, cilantro in a pot, and cover (about 50% more than the volume of the rice) with diluted stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 15-20min.