Any hiring managers in here willing to take a programmer's resume?

takwong

Jul 1, 2002
Any hiring manager willing to take a programmer's resume?

Actually, I am more concern about why I am not getting call backs.....if you are a hiring manager and you think you can help, please leave a msg, i will PM you my resume...for your review...

I am looking into C++ / Java Programming positions, and I was recently graduated with honors, with bachelor of science in computer engineering. I hold a sun certified java programmer cert...and currently, going for microsoft certified solution developer cert.....

please help...

thanks in advance.

tak

takwong

Jul 1, 2002
Hey mimendo,

I did called them....may be i should ask you this question...

There was a company, I had a friend of mine sent in my resume to the HR, I didnt hear from the HR....so I asked my friend for that HR's name, and phone number...i called, and tell her i am very excited about the position...she ask me if i applied thru the web yet...i said I did....she kind of cut it right there and said....if you already did, and if we have interest in your application, we will call you and let me know...ok?? I dont know what to say, but to say...o ok..thanks for your time...

what would you say if you run in to a situation like that?

tak

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
I always call and say that I am checking on the status of a resume I submitted for whatever position. I of course start out by giving my name.

Woodie

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Where are you? (Your profile is not turned on)

BTW, HR's role in the hiring process is to screen people out, not to find the right one. Some of them might disagree with my opinion, but in my experience the way to get a job is to find a way (through a contact) to talk to the hiring manager.

At our company, employee referrals are the #1 source for new employees. They also tend to be the most reliable, in that the new employee stays for some period of time, and is at least reasonably well qualified for the position.

takwong

Jul 1, 2002
Minendo,

I told the HR i am checking on my resume status too...but she just said if she is interested, she will call me back...(which is never).....after she said something like that...what would you say???? and would you try calling again the following week??

As for Woodie,

I am in New York City, recent grad with honors in computer engineering. I already got a job as a software programmer, but am looking for a hop into big corporations....I have had many referrals from my friends and family, they all handcarry or inter-office mail my resume to the HR department...but i dont know why, I never get any response from these kind of referrals...all of the interviews I had, I got it myself.....Therefore, I really want some (ex-) tech recruiter or anyone worked in a corpoarate HR who can look over my resume and tell me, why am i not getting call backs....

One more thing, do hiring managers worked in HR?? Or is a hiring managers a manager from a specific group that I applied to? like, for example, i am applying for a programmer position, and that hiring manager will be from the programming department?

thanks for your help. Anyone is willing to look over my resume or willing to accept resume in here, please drop a msg in here....

tak

Woodie

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
The "hiring manager" is used to describe the person in the actual department who is responsible for interviewing and selecting the new hire. This person may be the actual manager that the new hire will report to, but also may be several levels apart--depends on the company.

HR is responsible for providing a list of (screened) candidates to the "hiring manager", who then decides which ones to interview.

Referrals to HR are still pretty much a waste of time. How things happen here (and I believe it's similar in most large companies):

1. Employee (ee) sees or hears about job posting of interest to a candidate.
2. Ee talks to candidate, and gets resume or other info, as well as interest level.
3. Candidate says "Yes, I'm interested".
4. Ee takes info, and gives it to the hiring manager (since he knows him), and hopefully gives a little personal plug.
5. Ee or candidate follows up w/ hiring manager, and says "I'd like to meet with you, and discuss."
6. Interview happens between mgr/candidate.
7. At the interview, or after it, candidate must fill out official HR application form. EE may have to fill out a referral form at this point, in order to get credit for it, or it may be on the application form. Along w/ application form, resume gets filed w/ HR, and sometimes additional paperwork.
8. Candidate follows up w/ mgr, and hire/no-hire decision happens.

Notice how HR is left in a purely administrative role here? That's why trying to get a resume through HR is a slow way to go. Now, you may indeed get one through, but it's quite likely that at least one of the other candidates is going this way, and getting an "inside" edge over you.

YHPM

takwong

Jul 1, 2002
Woodie,

Thanks for the advice....I was told by my source that, no matter what kind of referrals, they have to forward my resume to the HR first, HR needs to keep a copy of my resume,and then HR will screen me, then pass it onto the department manager...

May be my source is not telling me the truth? We are just acquaintances....

Anyhow, woodie, thanks for your advice, and you got mail.

Tak