Any headset / mics that don't fail after a few months?

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
early last year I bought some Logitech headset with a mic (goes over the ear type, hurts my ears eventually due to glasses). It cost about $30.
About 3 months later the wire right at the headset started to apparently wear out. I started losing sound in one ear, then eventually the other, while the mic was ok.

Not finding the receipt (and eventually Circuit City gone), I bought another Logitech headset for about $20-$30. This lost sound the same way in about the same amount of time. Again I couldnt find the receipt.

Earlier this year I bought a cheapt $15 set from Fry's, that goes on the ear, which was nice since it didn't pinch my glasses' arms on my ears. In about 2 months it went out the same way. It was not a Logitech headset.

So here I started postulating that for every ~$10 you spend on a headset, it will last that long.

After that headset, I bought another Logitech (previous 15 and this one I swore I kept the receipt in the bag from the store that I kept as well) for some $30. That failed the same way.

Do all headsets do this or do I just have to spend $80 on a headset that doesn't fail like this, ever?

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I bought a $6 desktop mic that I used for two years with no problems. Then I switched to a $3 clip-on generic mic and it has been even better for the past year. It's taken a lot of abuse, too - lots of myself tripping over the cable and ripping the clippy from my headphone cable. It's held up perfectly (aside from some minor cord kinkage).

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
I bought a $6 desktop mic that I used for two years with no problems. Then I switched to a $3 clip-on generic mic and it has been even better for the past year. It's taken a lot of abuse, too - lots of myself tripping over the cable and ripping the clippy from my headphone cable. It's held up perfectly (aside from some minor cord kinkage).

I am referring to headset/mic combos while I watch tv on pc or game with voice.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I have used this one for 6 months: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826106217

It still works well, and is cheap. My daughter has chewed on the microphone many times, and we have bothtripped over the chord on numerous occasions. It acts pretty well for a Microphone, and the Earphones work relatively well too (Although bass leaves something to be desired, but that isn't a big deal for me.)

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I've been using a creative fatality headset that I got on sale. It's pretty nice, good mic and headphone quality, and it seems study enough.

BTW, if your headsets are failing, you could probably RMA them.

SergeC

May 7, 2005
My Koss SB/49 have lasted 2+ years of intense use, and still work as well as day 1.

Very comfortable, too.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i use a pair of Sennheiser HD555s and a separate clip on microphone i got for about $8 on newegg.

been working great for awhile now.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I've been drooling over these for a long time, did get get amp with them? and how do they sound for music?

Yeah I have the mixamp too, it does give you better spatial sound, it's immediately noticeable. Plus I wanted to use these with my PS3 to keep my woman happy at night.

For music, these are OK, a little better than the $75 Sennheiser's that I replaced. A little lacking on bass, so I guess it really depends on what type of music you listen to. I listen to rock mainly and I think they're pretty good, the mid's and high's are very clear and nice.

The ear cups are large and cover the entire ear, unless you have huge flappers they should be comfy. I'm happy with the company as well, they sent me a replacement cable when my cat chewed mine, for free.

Comfort was my primary all around concern and would make the same purchase again in a heartbeat.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
I actually own a $20 Logitech headset and it's held up pretty well over the 2 years I've thrown at it. What on earth do you do with yours? I also wear glasses and this Logitech is over-the-ear and comfortable (but the ear cups are SQUARE!). Maybe I just have small ears or something.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Sennheiser PC 350s work well for me, everyone always hears me clearly whilest theyre stuttering and crackling away on their £5 headsets :)

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
I actually own a $20 Logitech headset and it's held up pretty well over the 2 years I've thrown at it. What on earth do you do with yours? I also wear glasses and this Logitech is over-the-ear and comfortable (but the ear cups are SQUARE!). Maybe I just have small ears or something.

I just pick them up and put them down.

Rezident

Nov 30, 2009
Sennheiser P160 is pretty good but my Icemat has lasted years and is still going strong. It's also the most comfortbale headset I've ever seen - it covers your ears and feels lovely.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
I've been using a creative fatality headset that I got on sale. It's pretty nice, good mic and headphone quality, and it seems study enough.

BTW, if your headsets are failing, you could probably RMA them.

Yeah I've had the fatality headset for a year now, got is as a gift, its pretty good.

I saw it on newegg now for like $29.99 too, it has really good bass and overall sound quality imo.