Any great RPGs I'm missing?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
How about the "Nehrim" mod for Oblivion. I only played a few minutes, and got distracted by another game. I plan on going back.

I see Two Worlds 2 is on sale on Steam. Haven't played it, but it's getting decent reviews. I plan on checking it out.

I agree with the historic games from DaveSimmons

The 2D classics - gog.com
Baldur's Gate 1-2
Icewind Dale 1-2
Planescape: Torment
(Sci-fi: Fallout 1-2)

If you've missed any one of these, it's worth the trip!

chihlidog

Apr 12, 2011
From your list i see missing Witcher. both 1st and 2nd game were outstanding and very impressive. I recommend them!

I actually mentioned the Witcher specifically. It had a cool premise, but the acting absolutely killed it for me.

Divinity II was mentioned, I tried the demo on steam. I think maybe I sort of like it...but there's something that isnt QUITE there for me. It looks good, the acting isnt horrible, and it has a lot going for it, but I dont like the way the camera moves, it sort of makes me feel disconnected from the character. I know, I know, I'm horribly picky. I'll keep with it, it might grow on me, I can see that it has tons of potential.

DA:O - I tried the sequel, and it really felt like a point and click to me. I didnt like the control at all. Is the first one the same, I assume?

I'm a finicky gamer, I admit. Small things can kill a game for me. The view is probably the biggest one. I couldnt stand Batman: AA because the off-center camera really threw me off. Anything top down that only allows me to see a small part of the level really bothers me, too, I find myself constantly trying to look ahead, check out the rest of the environment.

I'm gonna check out a bunch of stuff suggested here, though, I appreciate it!

pugh

Sep 8, 2000
Diablo
Diablo II + lord of destruction expansion
Borderlands - with friends
Dead island - after they fix the bugs
Sacred
Titan Quest

Borderlands is a good game in single player, you find MASSIVE amounts of loot, but the game really shines in co-op multiplayer.

Fallout new vegas seems like its more fun then fallout 3.

great list. Also Risen and Two worlds series.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
DA:O - I tried the sequel, and it really felt like a point and click to me. I didnt like the control at all. Is the first one the same, I assume?
Not in the least. Everything from camera to art direction to combat design was totally gutted and console-ized from the original, so that most of the classic RPG fans who loved DA:O either never bought DA2 or did, were disgusted, and abandoned the franchise.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I think someone else mentioned it, Alpha Protocol. I've heard it is ok (seems some really like it and others, not so much). I bring this up since it is on sale on Steam currently for $2 90% off. Kind of hard to go wrong for that price imo.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
It's not often suggested, but Alpha Protocol if you can get it on the cheap. You can do a search for the .ini file changes that make the game run much smoother. I've finally started playing it (after buying it a few months ago during a Steam sale for $5) and it's actually very good. It was really only hammered for it's technical issues and some of the clunkiness in navigating menus.

Just a heads up. It's on sale on steam for $2 right now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/34010/

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
All The Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape D&D et al. games are currently ~$3 on GoG right now.

I'm going to pick up a few of those, I think.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
All The Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape D&D et al. games are currently ~$3 on GoG right now.
Only if you buy them all together.

I'm thinking of re-buying all the IE games so I don't have to mess with discs, though. Also NWN, since I lost my keys in the Bioware hack.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Only if you buy them all together.

I'm thinking of re-buying all the IE games so I don't have to mess with discs, though. Also NWN, since I lost my keys in the Bioware hack.

oh, that sucks. I only want 3 of them, max.

pwnagesarus

Apr 9, 2007
While I wouldn't say it's an "essential", Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines is worth checking out if you can get it for cheap. Although it was originally buggy, unofficial patches have fixed many of those issues.

IMO, the high points are the atmosphere, the NPCs and the voice acting.

Phaleel

Aug 18, 2011
Great games, all of them!

Don't forget that Heroes of Might and Magic and King's Bounty are Tactical RPGs in single-player.

It makes me sad to know I've already played all of these games... :/