Any good under $50 PCI Video Cards?

Tresdrez

Dec 4, 2002
My brother bought an e-machines (I warned him why they are cheap). Among the problems he is having are many video faults, so he wants to install a new video card and disable the onboard video. There is no AGP slot. His idea of a game on the computer is Spider Solitaire, so it really only needs to do office apps, internet, and basic games.

Looking for an under $50 PCI card to get for him.

Side note: anyone have any ideas why the computer randomly crashes out requiring him to restore? Other than the fact it is made of extremely cheap parts. I was wondering if perhaps the PSU is faulty.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Maybe check out the FS/FT forums and look for a GF2MX PCI version? I'd stay away from it if he was planning on doing any serious gaming, but if its just "typical use" like you said, it would be fine...

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Voodoo5's kicked ass in PCI, but no new support for them if that worries you.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
ok i just read the original post in it's entirety. all he needs is a pci radeon 7000. i got one from FS/FT for $20 shipped.

Tresdrez

Dec 4, 2002
Staples has a PNY Verto TNT2-M64 32MB PCI Video Card for $30 this week. I know that TNT2 is old technology, but given what they need it to do, would this be a good choice?

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Side note: anyone have any ideas why the computer randomly crashes out requiring him to restore? Other than the fact it is made of extremely cheap parts. I was wondering if perhaps the PSU is faulty.

a reformat to the hard drive might solve some of his problems.
Yep, that's the first place I start + checking for a bios update. Many times, these faults and errors on prebuilts like eMachines are simply the result of a software/configuration problem. I've seen system files corrupted on the restore CD, so using the restore CD helps nothing.

Format C: then install Windows (98SE/ME/XP) full version (not the eMachines restore disc), download and apply all the updates and newest drivers manually. Of course, you don't get all the 'bundled' software that comes on the restore disc, but I consider that a benefit. Gives me an excuse to buy the full versions of only software apps I use.

Alternatively,

ATI OEM RADEON 7000 32MB DDR PCI DVI/CRT/TV
Price: $48
Ship: Free
Allstarshop.com
800-424-7188

ATI OEM RADEON 7000 32MB DDR PCI DVI/CRT/TV
Price: $44
Ship: $5
Newegg.com
800-390-1119

Tresdrez

Dec 4, 2002
Many thanks, I will get that card, and suggest he let me "borrow" the computer for a week, and do a clean install. I assume that I can use my WINXP disc, and just use his number to activate it. For the most part, the bundled software is things I already have, and if it isn't he can either buy it or live without it. I think that in the long run he would rather have a few less programs, than having to restore it everytime he goes to use it.