Any good sub-$200 1080p panels that aren't 6-bit dither?

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
It turns out I am very sensitive to 6-bit panels that use dithering, I can see the dithering pattern right away especially in gaming (doh!)

Is there anything in the sub-$200 range for 1080p that will give my better performance?

Thanks,

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
You'll want to look for a 1080p display that uses an IPS panel, i don't think any TN panels are full 8 bit colour. Be wary though because there some cheaper IPS models that also use dithering and aren't full 8-bit, I'd be surprised if you can find a full 8-bit colour IPS panel for as low as $200.

kevinsbane

Jun 16, 2010
It turns out I am very sensitive to 6-bit panels that use dithering, I can see the dithering pattern right away especially in gaming (doh!)

Is there anything in the sub-$200 range for 1080p that will give my better performance?

Thanks,

No.

Choose two: 1080p, true 8-bit, or <$200.

You might be able to score a Dell 2209WA for <$200, but that's 1680x1050 and is likely refurb at the moment. Closest 8 bit IPS (8bit + AFRC) is the PA238q, you can get it at amazon right now for $260.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
After reading more reviews of TN panels I think there was something wrong with my particular VE228 because it disaplayed a grid effect when there was motion on screen.

On TN displays I hear issues about bad viewing angle, innaccurate color, but nothing about the heavy screen door effect I was experiencing during gameplay and video playback.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You know, I just thought of something. Modern LED LCD backlights tend to be PWM-driven, and at lower frequencies than they should.

Likewise, some panels use dithering, and I don't know at what frequency the dither patterns operate.

But combine the two, and you might just get a "beat frequency" that your eyes see (like strobe lights illuminating something that is normally fast-moving, and freezing it in time, effectively), and thus you visibly can see the dither patterns.

That would be the worst of both worlds, as far as technology goes for LCD panels. But judging by futurefields' experiences, it seems like monitors like that are out there on the market.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
You know, I just thought of something. Modern LED LCD backlights tend to be PWM-driven, and at lower frequencies than they should.

Likewise, some panels use dithering, and I don't know at what frequency the dither patterns operate.

But combine the two, and you might just get a "beat frequency" that your eyes see (like strobe lights illuminating something that is normally fast-moving, and freezing it in time, effectively), and thus you visibly can see the dither patterns.

That would be the worst of both worlds, as far as technology goes for LCD panels. But judging by futurefields' experiences, it seems like monitors like that are out there on the market.

+1 Excellent post. While my eyes do not give me any trouble on current monitor (NEC S-PVA), they used get very tired on my old 17" TN. Lots of 'experts' are far to quick to dismiss complaints of people suffering from LCD screens especially of the posters mention the problem not occurring with old CRTs. Seems there's train of though which say that since "LCDs are perfect", anyone who complains must be imagining things.

Like the old vinyl vs CDs argument, this is an opinion based on the fallacy that because the average cheap LCD is better than the average cheap CRT this holds true for every situation... But the truth is that all display technologies have failings and people's vision varies quiet a bit.

To the OP: unfortunately with monitors the best is to see one in the flesh. I know hard but if it affects you, you really should be prepared to either make a trip and buy in a physical store or from some place with a superb returns policy even if you have to pay the return postage.

Last edited:

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
The Asus VH236H is going to be my next try for a decent cheap 1080p. This one uses the faster 2ms panel and is non LED and seems a lot of people use them for gaming (evo monitor)

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I just wanted to report that I recieved my Asus VH236H today and it is completely free from the "Diamond crosshatch" pattern I was seeing in the VE228H. That monitor must have either poorly calibrated or is just a bad combination of cheap tn 6-bit panel with LED backlight.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
i just noticed some backlight bleed at the top, heard its common with these though so i am not going to return it for that

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Hey guys how much backlight bleed do you feel is acceptable?

ive got a bit of a halo coming down from the top, about 1/4 to 1/2" , but since it's even and not too bad, i think its not going to be a problem. it would be worse of i had corner bleed.

what do you guys think about that?

Last edited:

hokies83

Oct 3, 2010
You can get a 2560x1440 Korean IPS panel for 289$ on ebay that is bar a millin miles the best ur gonna do.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
it looks almost exactly like this, the bit at the top, mine is a bit fainter though. i dont have any on the sides or bottom.

http://imageshack.us/f/169/bleedej1.jpg/

edit: mine is actually quite a bit less pronounced than what is in the image above. but the location is the same at the top.

Last edited:

palladium

Dec 24, 2007
it looks almost exactly like this, the bit at the top, mine is a bit fainter though. i dont have any on the sides or bottom.

http://imageshack.us/f/169/bleedej1.jpg/

edit: mine is actually quite a bit less pronounced than what is in the image above. but the location is the same at the top.

That's pretty good actually. My U2711 has more bleed than that, but they are more at the corners so I don't notice it as much. How much is tolerable, varies from person to person, though.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Guys

my light bleed is completely gone

i woke up this morning, turn my computer on, and the screen is showing absolutely zero light bleed

how is this possible

sorry for caps i am jsut extremely excited by this development!!!