any good spanish movies you'd recommend?

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
I'm studying spanish and my teacher says to listen to radio / watch TV etc.....i'm wondering what movies have come out from spain / mexico recently that are good......not an american movie with a spanish language track...recommendations?

JasonE4

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2005
Diarios de Motocicleta and Y Tu Mama Tambien were both pretty good. I'd definitely check those out.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
Pan's Labyrinth
Conejo en la Luna (Rabbit in the moon)
La Ley de Herodes (Herod's Law)
Deseo (Desire or Beyond Desire or something)

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Amorres Perros(sp?) was really good. Y tu mama was good too. I think for someone trying to learn spanish, I would go with Pan's Labyrinth only because the narrator and also the girl has a clear vocabulary (thats what i thought at least)

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: legoman666
pan's labyrinth
y tu mama tambien
Cidade de Deus (City of God)

Good movie, but beware of full nudity sex scenes. We had an awkward moment or two watching this at a friend's house.

w3stfa11

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2006
city of god isn't in Spanish.

mar adentro (the sea inside) - from Spain, so a different accent, but still good.

I'd also recommend Y tu mama tambien and amores perros.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by: joshsquall
Originally posted by: legoman666
pan's labyrinth
y tu mama tambien
Cidade de Deus (City of God)

City of God is Portuguese.

hehe, ah well. I can't tell the difference. I took latin in high school, what do i know?

jw0ollard

Jul 29, 2006
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Can't believe nobody mentioned Abre los ojos (Open Your Eyes).

Beat me to it. :( Of course I think he wants very recent movies that are easy to locate.

OP, if you CAN find it, it's a good movie. However, it's the same exact movie as Vanilla Sky (Penelope Cruz even plays the same part), so if you hated that movie then I'd stay away. :)