Any good RPGs for the PC?

LW07

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2006
Alright, are there any RPGs for the PC that isn't made by bethesda(their games always crash 9000 times an hour for me) and isn't an MMORPG and isn't Diablo 2(already have)?

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
Mass Effect (Bioware)
Bioshock (2k Games)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Bioware)
Neverwinter Nights 2 (Atari / Obsidian)
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (Atari)
PlaneScape: Torment (Black Isle Studios)
Fable: The Lost Chapter (LionHead Studios)

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: JoshGuru7
Mass Effect (Bioware)
Bioshock (2k Games)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Bioware)
Neverwinter Nights 2 (Atari / Obsidian)
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (Atari)
PlaneScape: Torment (Black Isle Studios)
Fable: The Lost Chapter (LionHead Studios)

Remove Bioshock and Fable, the rest of the list is good.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Never heard of fate but just read the wikipedia article, looks really good (lots like D2) but I'm a little concerned that its only singleplayer. I'm not opposed to only singleplayer games but I know that D1 & D2 singleplayer was kinda meh, certainly compared to the multi. I imagine this game is pretty cheap now, do you know if it works with vista and all?

Nothing wrong with it being a diablo clone btw, I mean if scientists cloned megan fox I don't think anyone would be complaining.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
Bioshock's a great game, but I wouldn't really consider it a role-playing experience. It's a first-person shooter first and foremost just like Deus Ex.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Titan Quest + Immortal Throne expansion

It's very similar to Diablo II in its game-play style, view angle, experience system, skills system, and more, but is of course also unique in many other areas. It's such an underrated game (sadly I hadn't known much about that game until after Iron Lore, the developers, closed their doors).

LW07

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2006
Originally posted by: brandonb
Fate

I had fun with it anyhow. Even if it was a diablo clone.

I like Diablo 2. Just started playing it, but love the fast-pacedness of it, especially when playing on Battle.net

Will check out Titan quest as well, as well as Fate.

Am wary of fate, though, as I read this about its maker Wildtangent(dunno if its credible or not):

http://www.pchell.com/support/wildtangent.shtml

And hopefully these three will hold me over until Blizzard decides to release SC2 and Diablo 3.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
When Diablo 3 comes out I'm taking at least a week off, I don't care how I do it but its gonna happen. It will be better than 10 christmas'

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: TidusZ
When Diablo 3 comes out I'm taking at least a week off, I don't care how I do it but its gonna happen. It will be better than 10 christmas'

Amen to that.

It'll probably be two weeks off for me. I like to think that Diablo III will be the best event in video gaming ever since Diablo II was released (that's a completely subjective and biased view, since I think that Diablo II is basically a perfect game, and the only one of its kind, I would simply say that Diablo II is to me what StarCraft is to Koreans).

Koudelka

Jul 3, 2004
I think i'm the only person that absolutely hated The Witcher.. such horrible gameply. And i didnt like watching the same attack animation over and over and over and over.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Koudelka
I think i'm the only person that absolutely hated The Witcher.. such horrible gameply. And i didnt like watching the same attack animation over and over and over and over.

Repeating animations apply to pretty much any RPG's out there during attacks mostly, and also to all other games out there. If developers had to create a unique swing and bash and other animations for every single mouse clicks I don't think the original Diablo would have been released even by now.

There's games where you can see a few dozen different animations and the character plays them randomly, that's "better" than seeing the exact same one without pause, that's for sure, but in the end you get used to all of them and they become part of the game-play without the player (usually) worrying much about animations variety.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
2D
Fallout 1-2, Tactics (GOG.com - Good Old Games)
Baldur's Gate 1-2 +expansions
Planescape: Torment

3D
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines (Steam, sometimes Amazon / GoGamer)
Star Wars KOTOR 1 & 2
Neverwinter Nights 1 + expansions + user mods
Neverwinter Nights 2 + expansions
Mass Effect
Fallout 3 (just exit every hour or two and live with a few crashes.)

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: Koudelka

Yeah, you are the only one. ;)
I LOVED the Witcher, GREAT GAME!

Ultralight

Jul 11, 2004
+1 for Gothic 1 & 2

Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 + Expansions

Neverwinter Nights 1 + excellent free community offerings

* I am about to be called heretical but Diablo 2 is a snooze fest. I have never been so bored with a game as I was with that one. I don't even know how anyone can call it an RPG. This is my opinion and I am sticking with it.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Another vote for Gothic and Gothic 2.

Gothic 3 is much better now, but you'll have to put up with some stuttering regardless of your system.

I practically fell asleep playing the included campaigns in NWN and NWN 2. I couldn't get myself to finish either. I have no doubt the mod community does good stuff, but IMO don't buy either of those games unless you're into that.

katank

Jul 18, 2008
Jade Empire is also great. You pretty much can't go wrong with any Bioware RPG.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
BioShock is an RPG? Try again.

I mean, it's an awesome game, but it ain't no damn RPG.