Any good RPGs come out lately?

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
I havent played a good RPG on the PC in forever...i'm almost tempted to go play KOTOR again for the millionth time.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
NWN2 Expansion, The Witcher, and perhaps Stalker are all that I can come up with. I haven't really played that good of an RPG on the PC in a long time :(

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Witcher is supposed to be the cat's pajamas. I have not tried it yet myself.

KT

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Call of Duty 4 has RPGs... Oh... you meant Role Playing Games ;)

I did not think of KOTOR as a RPG, but more like a FPS. Maybe you would like something like Call of Duty, or some of the other battle games. You can try a couple of demos and see.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
I've been playing The Witcher, I actually have a hard time getting away from it, it's got a good story line, and multiple endings depending on decisions you make in the game.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by: gsellis
Call of Duty 4 has RPGs... Oh... you meant Role Playing Games ;)

I did not think of KOTOR as a RPG, but more like a FPS. Maybe you would like something like Call of Duty, or some of the other battle games. You can try a couple of demos and see.

How on earth do you think KOTOR is an FPS game?!? It's not even first person! It's certainly an RPG.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Kazaam
I havent played a good RPG on the PC in forever...i'm almost tempted to go play KOTOR again for the millionth time.

first of all, i don't think there is ANY game that equals KotOR ... but if you are looking for a decent 'top-down' "party-RPG", NWN2/MotB has to be for you ... especially since NWN2 appears to be patched and is no longer painful to play

Recent "RPG-Type" games would include Hellgate:London [with a MMO aspect], Overlord, 2Worlds, The Witcher [i am looking forward to it] ... and unbelievaby ... STALKER - a RPG disguised as a FPS.

.... then of course, there is Oblivion/SI and expansions plus Gothic3

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: apoppin
first of all, i don't think there is ANY game that equals KotOR ...

Baldurs Gate 2 is a better game, if you can stomach the graphics of the ancient infinity engine.

I really need to play through PlaneScape: Torment, I played a third of it before my bad ram corrupted my saves / system during that time and had to spend a month trying to get Corsair to send me the correct replacement parts. PS:T was actually better than BG2 from the portions of it I was able to play.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
For $500* you can play Bioware's Mass Effect, but the more honest reviews say it's a bit rushed and incomplete: a great universe, good story missing a chunk in the middle, and good but flawed gameplay.

Otherwise, besides Witcher and NWN2:MotB there's always GaneTap to catch up on all of the old Bioware and Black Isle 2D RPGs.

* requires 1 x "xbox 360" accessory to play.

Wheelock

May 3, 2007
KOTOR was well-polished, but everything was so linear and confined to obvious "arenas." Plus, the dialogue was very simplistic. Ah well, I shouldn't complain, it wasn't a bad game.

Back on topic, Morrowind and Deus Ex are probably the two best PC RPGs I've played this decade. Before them, there was Fallout.

WraithETC

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
If you play the Witcher just remember to unlock the stun effect on your magic during the first part of the game or you risk wanting to smash the game disc into pieces later on.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: apoppin
first of all, i don't think there is ANY game that equals KotOR ...

Baldurs Gate 2 is a better game, if you can stomach the graphics of the ancient infinity engine.

I really need to play through PlaneScape: Torment, I played a third of it before my bad ram corrupted my saves / system during that time and had to spend a month trying to get Corsair to send me the correct replacement parts. PS:T was actually better than BG2 from the portions of it I was able to play.

... i needed to have qualified my statement :eek:

first of all, i don't think there is ANY *recent* game that equals KotOR ...

i am looking forward to the Witcher
... still playing Hg:L on nightmare ... and exploiting the crap out of the game's mechanics ... it really IS "nightmare"
:Q

:D

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I'm not into RPGs much but I would second the Oblivion and STALKER recommendations. Oblivion has expansion packs and a ton of mods. STALKER is more FPS in my opinion, so it might not be for the hardcore RPG players who prefer little action, but for me, I thought it was an excellent combination.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Not really recent, but I enjoyed Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, which is an underlooked game. I wasn't impressed with the melee combat, but it was still very much worth playing.

balane

Dec 15, 2006
How does Witcher compare to Oblivion? Oblivion is possibly my favorite game ever, not a day goes by where I don't play it. Is Witcher a beautiful, walk-anywhere, multi-town type of world like Oblivion? I still enjoy just walking around Oblivion, sight-seeing. I would love to have a new game that gives me the Oblivion feel. Thanks.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: balane
How does Witcher compare to Oblivion? Oblivion is possibly my favorite game ever, not a day goes by where I don't play it. Is Witcher a beautiful, walk-anywhere, multi-town type of world like Oblivion? I still enjoy just walking around Oblivion, sight-seeing. I would love to have a new game that gives me the Oblivion feel. Thanks.

Try Morrowind aka Elder Scrolls III, better than Oblivion in everything but graphics. Game of the year has both expansion packs bundled with it and can be had for cheap.

Fadardo

Jun 10, 2007
You can buy these for Playstation 2 then play them on computer.
PCSX2: Final Fantasy X and PCSX2:Final Fantasy XII. They require a c2d at 2.4ghz to play properly.
Also Project64: Zelda: Ocarina of Time

As for Legit PC games that don't require an emulator there is Jade Empire from the makers of your beloved KOTOR.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Have you played all the mods? ... i put 1,250+ hours into Oblivion/S.I./Kt9/etc. last year ... topped out at Level 92 without using the console
:Q

the only game that comes close imo is Gothic3 ... another incredibly *beautiful world* ... and it is probably still a bit buggy and the load times are irritating in comparison.
-2Worlds is a pale imitation of Oblivion - although it does have it's moments but is only ~60 hours max.
--However, the only other game that has captivated me like Oblivion is Hellgate:London and after 250 hours into it where Max is Level 40 Summoner and heading for Level 50 cap on *Nightmare* difficulty i am still having a blast!
-but they are very different :p

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005

No, they are absolutely nothing alike. As far removed from one another as you can possibly get and still have people attributing both of them to the same genre.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Lately as in the past 4 years? No.

BUT..... I havent played Witcher yet and lots of folks seem to like it.
Oblivion was a big let down for me, NWN 2 was much improved from number 1 but that isnt saying much.
Deus Ex 2 was a HUGE bummer, and Bioshock was pretty much what I expected. Tried to get into STALKER and I just couldnt enjoy it.
Have been playing KOTOR 1 and 2 over the past month, but I get tired of those after a while.

The only thing I can think of is to go back to the NES and SNES classics, even though they arent real RPG's, they are lots of fun.

Have also been doing some tabletop Rifts and D&D, but those require an aweful lot of preparation from the DM and end up to be very little playing time.

bullbert

May 24, 2004
Not great by any means, but you may be able to get them for $3-$5 through bargin bins and periodic gogamer sales, but you could try:

Fable
Bard's Tale

These are better-than-good (maybe even great), although getting dated:

Baldur's Gate series
Fallout 2
Arcanum (I seem to be the only one who has play this)

Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (severely dated graphics, but better gameplay than III:Morrowind or IV:eek:blivion which had been dumbed down for the click monkeys)

Ebnrne

Sep 29, 2007
You'll definitely enjoy the The Witcher. Most people who stick religiously to heavily story driven RPG's as opposed to the more action oriented RPG's like Oblivion and Dues Ex would appreciate it more.

Aside from the slow load times, it's been the most impressive RPG I've played since BG2.