Any good Risk-like games?

Mar 10, 2005
i'm looking for a risk-like strategy game. maybe you guys have recommendations?

i've played WarLight which is well done, until the AI difficulty just slams you. i like a challenge, but this just feels way too stacked.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Man, there are, but I'd have to take some time to find them. I remember seeing reviews of games that pointed out risk elements.

Just googling on game review and risk might find some.

If you can't find any I'll do some googling.

walkur

May 1, 2001
If you want it simple: try to find a copy of Axis and Allies (digital version of the boardgame)

If you want to spend hours upon hours upon hours on 1 single playthrough... try the hearts of iron series

Might also want to take a look at crusader kings.

Empire: Total war is also an option. If you use autocalc for the battles the game speeds up significantly

alangrift

May 21, 2013
If you want it simple: try to find a copy of Axis and Allies (digital version of the boardgame)

If you want to spend hours upon hours upon hours on 1 single playthrough... try the hearts of iron series

Might also want to take a look at crusader kings.

Empire: Total war is also an option. If you use autocalc for the battles the game speeds up significantly

The Total War series is definitely one to get.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
If you're going to get a TW game, get Shogun 2 or Rome 2 (when it's out in September).

Company of Heroes 2 is kind of risk like in that it's very territory oriented. It's real time though and therefore much faster pace obviously : p

Aug 11, 2008
Europa Universalis 3

Yea, this, or any of a horde of similar games. March of Eagles is a recent title in the same vein. Or even try the Civ games or Total war games.

My grandson is really into this type of game. I have tried to get into them, but so far havent, mainly because I am just not good at them.

Edit: I always seem to just end up with a stalemate and dont know what to do.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Civ has a decent Risk feel to it, you can set games up to start at more advanced ages if you're more interested in just going to war than building your country.

Lorne

Feb 5, 2001
Warlock : Master of the Arcane, Its a distant rellative but its fun with a very vesitile setup.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
They just released Risk not long ago on Steam... but the only multiplayer is local hot-seat. Talk about the greatest blunders in gaming...

Someone else mentioned Axis and Allies, and the old game is pretty good, but the flaws of the AI are soon apparent, so it is easy to win. This is my favorite Risk-type game; played the board game for hundreds of hours, and I wish they came out with a great version of this for the PC.

I wouldn't call any of the Total War games, Civ games, Age of Wonders, or other similar partly turn based games anything like Risk. Risk strategy comes from not having a ton of detailed things to do and check, but a quick (most important facet of Risk imo) high level war game where the info you need is gotten by simply looking at the map, and not going into multiple other screens and so on.

WiseUp216 said:
That looks awesome. Sadly, I don't think enough people I know would be interested.

Hey! I'm in Cleveland. I'd play that with you. :p

Last edited:

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
Rise of Nations had a risk like game but you controlled the armies in real time.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Dawn of War Dark Crusade has a risk like element to it. It's my favorite of the series.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
Hearts of Iron, enough said. The choice is between HOI2 and HOI3 gameplay.

Subjectively, HOI2 is a better WWII game while HOI3 is the better simulation. If you want HOI2 style gameplay, Darkest Hour is the latest greatest game out there.

For the best classic Risk experience, I prefer Hasbro Interactive's 1997 title, Risk, on the PC and Playstation. The best mode there is Ultimate Risk.

Risk = http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=6674
Hearts of Iron 2: Darkest Hour = http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/darkest-hour
Hearts of Iron 3 = http://www.heartsofirongame.com/

Last edited:

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Besides Axis and Allies another old classic boardgame that was converted to PC was Diplomacy. I never tried the PC version, but the mechanics are fairly simple. Negotiations and deals with other players are more important than than the tactics.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
LOT'S of games that haven't been mentioned here, somewhat unsurprisingly.

Gary Grigsby's World at War, and its spin-offs, are probably the closest to what you're looking for, outside of Axis and Allies.

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/WorldAtWar/main.asp

ggwaw-shot-0005.jpg

In a similar playstyle, just with different scenarios, there's Gary Grigsby's War Between the States, a civil war themed game, and War in the East, which focuses on the Eastern Front of Europe in WWII.

Then there's slightly more complicated games, like Making History: The Calm and the Storm, which is like Risk Plus, or Hearts of Iron Lite. Not too in-depth that it can be learned in a few hours.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/6250/

3-685_1.jpg

Moving up the "complication ladder", there's the AGEOD games. Very dated interface, and board game 'graphics', but as solid, in-depth turn based strategy as you'll find. These focus on specialized areas of history and geography, so little in the way of "world conquest" like Risk, but very good nonetheless.

Pride of Nations is one of the newest and most popular, focusing on the Victorian age.
If you enjoy that engine and gameplay style, there are several entries covering Napoleonic warfare, WWI, American Civil War, even the American Revolution

Pride-of-Nations-2.jpg

217407_scr1_a.png

Also worth a look in the turn-based Grand (WWII) Strategy is Strategic Command Pacific Theater, a very deep and intricate sim of WWII Pacific warfare.

map.jpg

1941Operation-Z.jpg

Finally, and perhaps most recommended, are the various Paradox Interactive games. These are easily some of the deepest yet most enjoyable/accessible of any of the Grand Strategy games. Among the best are :

Europa Universalis III (IV is due to be released in just over a month)
Rome (NOT Total War)
Victoria 2
Sengoku (feudal Japan)
March of the Eagles (Napoleonic wars, almost exclusively combat oriented)

and finally, Hearts of Iron.

Quite simply, there's nothing better at what it does. No strategy game is a deep, intricate, or does all that it does as well as it does it, like the Hearts of Iron games. Period.

Hearts-of-Iron-III-Their-Finest-Hour-Launch-Trailer_1.jpg

attachment.php

Be warned though, they are quite complex. This is nothing like Civ or Total War. Watching a few Let's Plays on Youtube is probably essential for getting the hang of it.

I highly recommend Hearts of Iron III, with the latest patches and expansions. Darkest Hour, a Hearts of Iron 2 expansion/spiff-off is excellent as well and slightly more user friendly, but learning HoI3 with it's intricacy and versatility still makes it the better game overall.

Last edited:

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Besides Axis and Allies another old classic boardgame that was converted to PC was Diplomacy. I never tried the PC version, but the mechanics are fairly simple. Negotiations and deals with other players are more important than than the tactics.

I have yet to see a SINGLE good computer interpretation of the complex interactions in Diplomacy. Several paradoxes are possible in the board game rules that I don't think officially got resolved. Basically you have to hope the perfect storm of moves don't happen in a game.

Plus talk about an amazing amount of options for a coastal unit's turn with all the possible convoy actions (granted most would never happen, but if a chain of ANY naval units exists then a convoy IS possible). The drop down menu for a convoy would be massive. Think of all the support actions possible per space. Again, most would never happen, but they are legitimate moves.

I absolutely love Diplomacy and had a nice fun game 3 weeks ago (since I knew how to play I got stuck playing Austria-Hungary in a 7 player game). I had all of Austria, all of Italy and I was pushing into Germany and France ... and I still lost to Turkey (I had an agreement with him to just push North and since I had no armies to keep him in, he just rampaged unopposed). I earned a new nickname that game "Silver Tongue".