Any good mmo's still out there?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lerner227

Dec 16, 2013
I've been beta testing ESO, and while I can't discuss it, I can say that I'm more impressed with every beta I get into.
They're projecting April 2014, so that's something to look forward to.

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013
I enjoy SWTOR quite a bit.

It isn't as mindblowing as WOW was, but I would go so far as to say that today, it is the *better* game.

Reasons...

-- Better PVP balance and variety. Warzones are superior to WOW's battlegrounds. There are more of them and they are better designed, and also low level characters actually stand a chance vs high level characters.

-- better story with characters you actually care about

-- truly inspiring space combat sequences

-- FREE.

-- no stat inflation. Like, WOW right now is ridiculous to the point that like one blow deals 33,559 damage.

So yeah, SWTOR.

I haven't played SWTOR since maybe a few months after launch.

How do they handle no stat inflation? And how are the raids (ops)?

My biggest gripe for SWTOR end-game was the easy-mode Ops (even on nightmare). I literally ran out of things to do in the first month. Then the Hutt patch came with the new Ops, but that was beaten within a week or two.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
How is Guild Wars 2?

Does it still have a huge population? I don't like playing MMORPG without a lot of people.

The thing that keeps me from getting it is the bad reviews it has been getting from the public. (Not official reviewers)

As long as you join a high or very high population server (there are dozens of them) you will be fine.

You have to understand a couple of things about the Guild Wars franchise and Arenanet - they try to make different games that try to solve some of the stuff they perceive as problems.

Some veteran MMORPG players dislike some of the changes (that give much more control to each individual player instead of Guilds/Guild Leaders), make it more game oriented (lots of movement, active block/dodges) instead of "roll dices" and lack of traditional gear progression and instances that are gear locked.

Also Arenanet manifesto, pointing some downsides and problems of MMORPGs butt hurt some of those veterans.

More, Arenanet doesn't take MMORPGs too seriously and they like to make fun of themselves and MMORPGs.

See the latest Great MMORPG migration (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Epn6ZZResk ) and the oath compilation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6sInYBCDjA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUP_FgMqOxp_VsM0UfrL-DxA ) videos.

So if you are like "MMORPGs are serious business and a way of life" stay away. If you like games, go on.

Also proving that you can have a AAA MMORPG with no subscription fee also seems to annoy those that have been paying $15/month, for some weird reason as if it cheapens the fun they been having or something.

Last edited:

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
I enjoy SWTOR quite a bit.

It isn't as mindblowing as WOW was, but I would go so far as to say that today, it is the *better* game.

Reasons...

-- Better PVP balance and variety. Warzones are superior to WOW's battlegrounds. There are more of them and they are better designed, and also low level characters actually stand a chance vs high level characters.

-- better story with characters you actually care about

-- truly inspiring space combat sequences

-- FREE.

-- no stat inflation. Like, WOW right now is ridiculous to the point that like one blow deals 33,559 damage.

So yeah, SWTOR.
It's free but don't they restrict you on the PVP. Like how many warzones you can do and etc.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Guild Wars 2 and PlanetSide 2 for me right now, well and SWGEmu. I'm waiting for Day Z to go gold, I'm not paying for alpha access. SWTOR is too hard for me to get back into, the F2P restrictions are ridiculous.

Yes GW2 is very heavily populated.